DRIVEN: 2022 Buick Envision Avenir AWD

Still working on the review, but real quick summary was that despite being too expensive, and being unnecessarily built in china, the Envision is quite delightful, actually.  Far better represents the concept of Buick than the Encore GX.  Where the Encore GX feels like a basic brand vehicle, the Envision Avenir I feel represents Buick well (excepting the high price).  If it had a lower price then it can be more competitive with say a loaded CX-3, RAV4 and CRv.  Nice interior, liked the dash more than I thought.  Was ok with the finger tranny buttons.  Smooth ride.  Proper engine!!!!  Not a hot rod but wasn't working hard.  It is too loud and grainy, so its a bit unpleasant sounding; they need to fix that.  But smoothness of the engine is pretty good.  Would be a nice road vehicle.  Far nicer than the Equinox.  Feels like a real car where the Encore GX didn't feel that way.

It would be helpful if Buick advertised it and got more people to know about this car.  Then, lower the price a bit, 3-5 grand.  Then, build them here in the US in greater volumes.  You can keep Buick going and win back market share with this vehicle.  But not by overpricing it and building it in China.  This is a partial example of why GM seems to want to be swirling the toilet at times.

Edited by regfootball
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

It will be interesting to see what else you will find with this new up-line model.  It's definitely true to the Buick vocabulary but also trying some new things (the diamond pane seating pattern).  Also, many car's tan offerings for interiors aren't even tan, but off-white. This is both in domestic cars and in foreign ones, such as VW products.

That big touch screen to the right of the IP is a little overpowering. I have seen it in showrooms.

A grainy engine at this price point is a no go.  And, I agree with you, if these pick up any steam, some should be built in North America.  And, I'm including Oshawa ON, since it has historically been a very good plant. 

• Agree 1

Yes those are all good points. Agree on the ‘off white’ thing.  A little more buff / tan in the color of the seats may be better for cleanliness long term. 

this is a good rig for someone who wants enough comfort for themselves, without the size of the vehicle getting too large. Still has good leg room front and back. Really airy cabin with the panoramic roof. I think if they ever redesign the dash with more of an upright screen, that’s ok…but the current layout I was ok with. With it angled towards you as the driver it definitely is easier to see and easier to operate as things are closer in reach. 

I will say this, I probably wouldn’t look at this vehicle in anything besides Avenir trim. 

No valid reason they couldn’t build this in the US or Oshawa. 

Maybe if they re-introduced this vehicle with a new name, that would help. ‘Envision’ never has seemed to generate any traction from a marketing perspective. 

Edited by regfootball
  • Thanks 1