Review of current-gen 2022 Hyundai Elantra via 1 week rental

Sometimes I don't get upgraded, but most of the time I seem to.  It's not because I push for it.  It's that the rental agencies don't have much inventory so I'm given a nicer car to putt around in.

This latest time, I had rented a compact.  The only thing I asked for was a vehicle with a trunk ... or, if was going to be a SUV/CUV, that it had the retractable storage area cover.  The rental agent was one of the most relaxed people I've ever come across in this line of work.  He told me that, with the way the market is going and with the current state of supply and demand, one should opt for a standard car (one notch below full-size) while setting up the rental if a person wants a car that will have a trunk.  He had no problem with giving me the upgrade.  I was put into a Hyundai Elantra, of which I'd seen the latest rendition on the road.  I reviewed the last generation Elantra here a few years back.

This car made for reliable and pleasant enough transportation for a week or so.  I gave it back after having put some 650 to 700 miles on it.  That's not that obnoxious for a week.  But it's more than enough to tell you if you'd want to live with a car on "the regular" or not.

PROS:

-   powertrain that is supposedly reliable and comes with a generous and lengthy warranty

-   nimbler handling on 2 lane roads, at low speeds, and in parking lots than the previous generation model

-   excellent fuel economy:  mixed, with mostly highway, coming it at about 36.5 mpg

-   enough power for everyday driving and to merge onto controlled access highways

-   ergonomically acceptable front bucket seats where the side bolstering is neither too aggressive nor too flat; fairly good for a person of average height and proportions

-   plentiful rear leg room and trunk space for its size; space is utilized well

-   freshened up blacked-out front grille (also see cons) is more interesting than that of the previous generation model

-   remote fuel filler door release (something I really appreciate having because I have always bought after-market locking fuel caps for my cars)

-   fairly good sense of what the tires are doing at all times

-   sensibly laid out and accessible engine compartment

CONS:

-   CVT's "launch gear" is not convincing; whether you feel a shift from the fictitious 1st to 2nd is, well, variable ... and, if merging or passing, the CVT spools the engine upward in rpms, causes it to hum fairly loudly, and then settles it down into lower rpms

-   freeway driving isn't as nimble as at lower speeds and the vehicle provides a smooth enough ride, but more tire thum than the likes of a Toyota Camry, or similar, continues

-   spartan fit and finish, including the quality of the upholstery, but the stitching patterns in the seats create some interest

-   not especially pleasant red and white instrument cluster with a confusing combination of analog gauges and bar gauges;  it took me a while to figure out that the temperature gauge consisted of a gauge with bars

-   steering wheel controls are a little fussy and the logic always seems to differ between automakers

-   Bluetooth seems to keep asking you to keep setting it up "further" - maybe it's me, but I don't recall these sorts of message from other vehicle brands I've rented

-   once up close, black lattice work in front grille looks cheap (also see pros)

-   thankfully not a jelly bean shape like the recently refreshed Hyundai Sonata, but the sharp creases look a little forced; the front fascia, together with the headlamps, is not that attractive, while the rear fascia is more so

-   The blacked-out plastic applique in what could have been yet another window toward the C-pillar and sail panel cuts down rear visibility, but, compared to most vehicles today, it's still fairly acceptable

-   the "Corvette like" diagonal "handle" at the right side of the console and separating it from the front passenger's footwell is more suited to a sports car than to a car in this category

- - - - -

PHOTOS FORTHCOMING

Edited by trinacriabob

PHOTO GALLERY

Exterior

KIMG3769.thumb.JPG.a3cc9f9fe3bea34c66423cd003df69c5.JPG

Side view of the latest Hyundai Elantra

KIMG3729.thumb.JPG.67bf9ee0bcd41cbb1d799c77d88f8ffe.JPG

Angled front view of the Elantra, showing the new blacked-out latticework in the grille

KIMG3731.thumb.JPG.636c8db06f1b270a53edb4dac0249e31.JPG

This new gray color is sort of interesting, but I don't care for the blacked out alloy wheels, though the design itself is appealing

KIMG3750.thumb.JPG.2d24e27dd27d21cf04080328d47433b0.JPG

This is the side sculpting and character lines found in the latest model

KIMG3764.thumb.JPG.1f6d7a6610d5d685182981ad36cc4f03.JPG

This is the blacked-out applique in the rear pillar or sail panel that hinders visibility to a slight degree and, once closer to it, the little horizontal lines look sophomoric 

Interior

KIMG4179.thumb.JPG.5b695b7947bce4b2b6a57a14fac235e1.JPG

This is the sweep of the dash and the front seating area in the cabin; the continuation of the horizontal band that has the air conditioning vents is somewhat attractive

KIMG4180.thumb.JPG.71964a8d45189f25963c599daedcf0c1.JPG

I'm not a fan of that diagonal grab bar.  It would make it difficult to climb over to the other side.  I've had to do that a time or two in my current GM sedan, but my console surface is quite a bit lower

KIMG3420.thumb.JPG.78159cb4344cb40cd442176b1b4caae3.JPG

I do not care for this IP cluster that looks more suited to an economy car ... note that the temperature gauge at the left is confusing in that it uses bars, but I do like the digital readout of the speed, as well as odometer, trip odometer, and outside temperature in the same area.

KIMG3821.thumb.JPG.18f40f1e1e48831f2fa7cc0378d75ace.JPG

I have a mixed opinion of this infotainment center.  Being able to put your hand behind it makes it feel cheap and that same feeling applies to the left extension (with nothing in it) at the left side of the center IP cluster

KIMG3418.thumb.JPG.696d37001d656f19147538fca1858657.JPG

The climate control center is fairly easy to use, as are the attachment areas beneath it

KIMG3422.thumb.JPG.cae67b0b3ccc13276630ac9fe8283f80.JPG

Just a dumb joke here:  if you have the heated seats only turned up halfway, would that imply that you're "half-assed?"

KIMG4184.thumb.JPG.a29e0b5a87fed5ba8c8fd78e8f98c0c9.JPG

The trunk is fairly tall; however, note that there is no split folding rear seat, as many cars of this genre tend to have ... perhaps it was the trim level of this particular Elantra that dictated that

KIMG4181.thumb.JPG.994269d2a93d3a327558c938e78d6ddc.JPG

The trunk is also deep and they did a good job with utilizing space within this mid-size car's silhouette

Mechanical

KIMG3305.thumb.JPG.340957403ef94c84b3022aef51c1f4c1.JPG

In the engine bay, it seems that most things are accessible, thus easy for the owner to check fluids or change a few items ... or for a mechanic to do so.  That battery will also be easy to change.  (Take care of it and it will take care of you.)

KIMG3306.thumb.JPG.22ee1ef05c5f2d8e326684d5a3c5433b.JPG

Thankfully, this is a 2.0 liter DOHC 4 cylinder engine ... a displacement that has been around for decades across so many brands, which works out to about 120 cubic inches in "old school" talk.  Take note that no turbocharger is used.  However, rather than have a geared automatic transmission like the outgoing model, the "Smartstream" inscription on the engine cover is Hyundai's branding for their CVT, and this vehicle had a CVT.

KIMG3311.thumb.JPG.4f64197d7efaec3950a386f7f6b24d06.JPG

It looks like you could replace an air filter and access the throttle body somewhat easily

KIMG3310.thumb.JPG.1a51032f4174d54d57f0766ae5e25f0e.JPG

This is a side/longitudinal view of the engine compartment showing the accessory drive belt and an easily serviceable alternator

- - - - -

End of photos