June 2023 Auto Spotter Thread

Saw a few interesting red cars on I-90 today...a red Ferrari 308 coming up behind me this afternoon..it passed me, and I realized it was a Fauxrari...looked like a 3rd gen Camaro or Firebird with a 308 style body kit...faded red paint, '1MAGNUM' license plate...different, haven't seen something like that in decades.     Also saw a '61 Corvette convertible w/ patina--red w/ white cove inserts, 6 round taillights, side pipes, roll bar, old slotted mags.  Spotted a very clean stock-looking red '65-66 Mustang coupe.    

Went to a retirement happy hour for a coworker the other evening, in the parking lot was my company founder's silver Ferrari 812 Superfast which he bought after selling the company last year, and the VP of Product Management's new red Corvette Z06 convertible (in that incredible red that looks like a Hot Wheels spectraflame color).  

Saw a brand new IONIQ today and will say WOW, they are quiet and nice cars. Way too low for me to drive, but I like the quality of the car.

Saw a very clean bright red '71 Chevelle in traffic the other evening...had a nice rumble  Definitely not stock, had badging that read 'Malibu 427' on the sides (definitely not the original engine).  

Was behind a modded '57 Chevy 2dr sedan in traffic yesterday...black w/ flames painted on the side, rumbling, crackling, loud and strong smell of gas.   Very different from all the generic appliances around it on a residential street. 

Not really my style, but I can dig the street rod aesthetic..I wonder what the generic consumer resources in their white Kias and other transportation appliances on the street thought of it..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

Just saw my first LYRIQ in the wild here today and the folks driving it looked to be in their 40's, very happy looks on their face and it pulled away fast and strong. Was cool to see.

Was driving some errands yesterday and saw my first in the wild Toyota bZ4X and I have to say it is even uglier than in the pictures. This is truly a Toyota Aztek version.

It was a white version just like this from their gallery online.

BZ4_MY23_0030_V001_v2.webp

But as the black plastic looks to be smooth with the white painted metal parts, it is not, actually sticks out very noticeably and already had for a new EV, a bit of grey showing in those black plastic pieces.

Totally terrible.

• 5 weeks later...

June 12

KIMG5320.thumb.JPG.68a6e9b0dc469b9b0a773766bd330d48.JPG

Comporta area south of Lisbon, Portugal - motoring on a budget and I have no idea what it is and what powers it

KIMG5295.thumb.JPG.e6b3f5ed15b6903bbb05b81fea230b4f.JPG

Aldeia dos Capuchos viewpoint over the ocean south of Lisbon, Portugal - this guy from Italy gave tours of the area in this little red Fiat convertible

June 14

KIMG5826-inked.thumb.jpg.30b916e82db2a5a5eefba5dc6b1bd143.jpg

Monte Gordo, Portugal - some people I know in the U.S. called these throw-away cars, but you wouldn't believe how many old Mercedes in great shape and running condition are seen throughout Portugal, including a few of the Irma Bunt version of the Mercedes

KIMG5847.thumb.JPG.5df9d8e8eb4a91ee42ca01c4c8c8d0ca.JPG

KIMG5846-inked.thumb.jpg.983365f38bed98899f9c70eca17afd0e.jpg

also in Monte Gordo - they may say they are moving away from coupes and sedans in North America.  However, I see new renditions of them in Europe.  Maybe they have more sense and better taste.  This is a Nissan product and I didn't notice its name.

June 17

KIMG5922.thumb.JPG.1c59e2242de6d58d41f3d7b2bd54ff2c.JPG

KIMG5923.thumb.JPG.06e95b57528fea53d33b3d4b46f3ad97.JPG

KIMG5925-inked.thumb.jpg.2ef2176c75c9b4869b5ae82e46cca143.jpg

Loule', Portugal - I couldn't help but notice this car.  I don't know which model of Audi it was, but it apparently has a V-10.  The engine placement might hearken to the latest Corvette.  Whoever could afford to both buy and fuel this vehicle in Europe has coin to spare.  If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

June 24

KIMG0072.thumb.JPG.32e9542e6109401be1397c5d7f86c2ce.JPG

Viana do Castelo, Portugal - it looks sporty and expensive, but what is it?  Isn't it great how people who own these types of cars are often of the "too cool for school" variety?

KIMG0121.thumb.JPG.ab80a79b1971117f441e284c80e9de20.JPG

KIMG0122.thumb.JPG.8726fa4f511cdb5c8df24ebd2afb5a81.JPG

Ponte de Lima, Portugal - I know what this is, but not the exact year!  There are a few people overseas who own cars like this pristine older Cadillac and obviously have somebody to work on them.  It might be plated with a historical license plate.  I'm sure it is driven sparingly with that old school, all cast iron, made in Detroit big block V8.  Kudos to the owner for keeping it in such great shape.

• Like 1

June 25

KIMG0285-inked.thumb.jpg.c0dfed843f1c5551a965eeaf5a409264.jpg

Caldas de Gerez, Portugal - this is a cool little town with hot springs in the national park bordering Spain (it's a narrow country).  I enjoy seeing these Opel products that were sold here as Saturns.  There are many of these German made coupes around - both the Corsa and the longer Astra (like this one) - and they seem to be in it for the long haul with their EcoTec 4 cylinder engines.

June 26

KIMG0447.thumb.JPG.3bb4f3c513afcb1e400b5eede7c75253.JPG

Matosinhos (Porto district), Portugal

I couldn't believe how many of these Porsche Panameras I saw in Portugal in such a short time.  They seem to be the sporty luxury car of choice at the moment.  This country seems to have awoken from its "slumber" of many years ago and there seems to be a lot more Euro and more conspicuous consumption floating around ... or maybe people are signing on the dotted line to have something with which they can make an impression.  Here, and in other places in Europe, I have seen a definite move away from econoboxes, as well as a lot of people at motorway service areas with their expensive EVs of the better brands being charged up.

- - - - -

That's about it for June spotting for me.

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

June 14

KIMG5826-inked.thumb.jpg.30b916e82db2a5a5eefba5dc6b1bd143.jpg

Monte Gordo, Portugal - some people I know in the U.S. called these throw-away cars, but you wouldn't believe how many old Mercedes in great shape and running condition are seen throughout Portugal, including a few of the Irma Bunt version of the Mercedes

KIMG5847.thumb.JPG.5df9d8e8eb4a91ee42ca01c4c8c8d0ca.JPG

KIMG5846-inked.thumb.jpg.983365f38bed98899f9c70eca17afd0e.jpg

also in Monte Gordo - they may say they are moving away from coupes and sedans in North America.  However, I see new renditions of them in Europe.  Maybe they have more sense and better taste.  This is a Nissan product and I didn't notice its name.

WOW, those are the ugliest cars ever. Clearly style is a personal preference as I see no style in either of those two cars.

June 24

KIMG0121.thumb.JPG.ab80a79b1971117f441e284c80e9de20.JPG

KIMG0122.thumb.JPG.8726fa4f511cdb5c8df24ebd2afb5a81.JPG

Ponte de Lima, Portugal - I know what this is, but not the exact year!  There are a few people overseas who own cars like this pristine older Cadillac and obviously have somebody to work on them.  It might be plated with a historical license plate.  I'm sure it is driven sparingly with that old school, all cast iron, made in Detroit big block V8.  Kudos to the owner for keeping it in such great shape.

Now this is a true car and sexy as hell with STYLE!

Gosh, all this "work" to burnish and touch up these photos prior to posting them and no thumbs ups? LOL

Too funny, but cool auto sightings on some cool travel. 👍