Did you Know - 3rd Annual Media Convergence Forum Oct, 20-21, 2009 New York City

Very cool video.. the relentless march forward of technology and people figuring out ways to harness it..

It's impressive when I think about the advancements of gadgets, media, etc just in the last 15 years...cell phones have become great little computers, the mainstreaming of computers, high speed internet is ubiquitous, print newspapers a thing of the past (I haven't subscribed to a paper in over 7 years), HD TVs, DVDs, DVRs, CDs to mp3s, etc. I remember going to 'libraries' years ago to research things..haven't done that in many years. Or renting videos/DVDs from Blockbuster..haven't done that since getting Netflix in '00..

Will the next 15 years be as dynamic?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Progress = a way to take a newspaper and require you to burn non-renewable electricity to read it, forcing many to read it in one spot in their home (uhhh: not everyone has portable wi-fi), yet it disappears after maybe a month, preventing any future reference. :rolleyes:

But the larger problem is the quickness & interconnected-ness of media has severely constricted the number of sources & the time to research anything, ultimately 'corrupting the spring' so to speak. The ubitquitous focus on the balance sheet forces editorial slants to follow popular opinion rather than truth, leaving us with very little reliable truth at all. Thus, even tho it is in some instances 'easier', it's more expensive and less reliable.

Still, like the crow, most folk are attracted to shiny things.

Progress = a way to take a newspaper and require you to burn non-renewable electricity to read it, forcing many to read it in one spot in their home (uhhh: not everyone has portable wi-fi), yet it disappears after maybe a month, preventing any future reference. :rolleyes:

But the larger problem is the quickness & interconnected-ness of media has severely constricted the number of sources & the time to research anything, ultimately 'corrupting the spring' so to speak. The ubitquitous focus on the balance sheet forces editorial slants to follow popular opinion rather than truth, leaving us with very little reliable truth at all. Thus, even tho it is in some instances 'easier', it's more expensive and less reliable.

Still, like the crow, most folk are attracted to shiny things.

LOL..

THIS...

Is why I love reading your posts!

(And to think that you said you weren't eloquent in conveying things)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Counterpoint--printing newspapers is very expensive and polluting (sourcing paper, the printing process, the cost of transporting paper, the cost of recycling/waste in landfill of used papers).

Posting content online is much cheaper. And for the consumer of said news product, it's very flexible--I can read the news (From many sources) on my wireless laptop, desktop, cell phone, etc, anywhere, anytime. And many online news sources have extensive archiving of back articles for future reference--i.e. the New York Times is particularly good at that, for example.

If anything, the # of sources for news and information online far exceeds that of the print era--with print papers, a consumer might subscribe to one or maybe 2 dalies or a weekend edition. Online, I can source news from a vast number of sources---I get local news in my inbox from the local paper and a couple local TV stations, local news from other cities of interest, national and international news from multiple sources (Reuters, CNN, MSNBC, NY Times, LA Times, BBC, Der Spiegel, London Times, etc). There are plenty of news sources that seem to cover every political stripe out there also, from far left to middle of the road to far right, secular to religous, business oriented to grass roots.

Not to mention email newsletters and RSS feeds for realtime updates, as well as tweets from news sources. Print papers are always out of date by the time you get the hard copy, the Internet can be updated immediately.

I liked reading print papers back in the day, but it's a 19th century medium that's on it's way out, for better or for worse. Online--whether viewed via a computer or a cell phone or whatever the Next Big Thing is as far as devices, is the primary means of disseminating information in the 21st century.

This video shows how great capitalism is. And we can only look to an even brighter future!

If you live in America its not "we" its "They". and one day I hope you understand this. I already know were your mindset is now so you don't have to repeat yourself.

*Fixed...

It's a matter of perspective, I guess.

Capitalism is an excellent thing as long as it is CONTROLLED and doesn't CONTROL. (Which is completely counter to what it has been in America for a very long time)

by long time do you mean the last 40 years?

If you live in America its not "we" its "They". and one day I hope you understand this. I already know were your mindset is now so you don't have to repeat yourself.

Yeah that makes sense. Only 100% of the firms responsible for the fantastic innovations highlighted in the video are based in the US where innovation and profits are encouraged and not totally vilified (yet).

Yeah that makes sense. Only 100% of the firms responsible for the fantastic innovations highlighted in the video are based in the US where innovation and profits are encouraged and not totally vilified (yet).

Many of them are...but a lot of innovative and interesting technologies, esp. w/ phones, come out of Japan and Europe, but haven't caught on here because of our fragmented cellular networks and approach to data plans. And most all of the hardware is manufactured in Asia.