• Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

    Class Action Lawsuit Filled Against Ford Concerning MyFordTouch System


    William Maley

    Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

    July 18, 2013

    A proposed class-action lawsuit was filed against Ford on Monday that alleges MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch infotainment systems are defective. The suit was filed by the Center for Defensive Driving, a nonprofit educator in Torrance, California. The Center for Defensive Driving in their suit say that Ford knew about the defects, but didn't disclose the problems to potential customers. The Center for Defensive Driving leased a 2013 F-150 pickup with MyFord Touch and found that it suffered from numerous issues including a lockup and total system failure, periodic non-responsiveness to devices such as MP3 players, and periodic non-responsiveness to voice commands. Over the course of five months, the F-150′s MyFord Touch unit had failed or locked up no fewer than 27 times.

    Ford has been on the offensive with MyFord and MyLincoln Touch since its introduction. In 2011, Ford CEO Alan Mulally acknowledged problems with the system and said consumers would be happy with an update that would be coming out that year that would improve many functions. Since then, Ford has introduced a number of updates, several technical service bulletins, and extended the warranty for the system. The company has also seen its ratings in Consumer Reports and J.D. Power go down thanks to MyFord and MyLincoln Touch.

    "Ford needs to scrap it, not update it," said Center for Defensive Driving President Chris Knox.

    A Ford spokesperson declined to comment.

    Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

    William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

    0


    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0


    User Feedback


    I will have to say that in 2011 when I was in Kauai for a 2 week holiday, I rented a new Ford Flex with the system and was very impressed with how it worked with both my wife's Zune and my sons Ipod.

    Over all it was very positive experience. My niece has a 2013 Ford Flex and for the most part has really liked the system also but did say that the last 3 updates were less than stellar as her system worked great till the first two updates and then it was a frozen buggy mess and the 3rd update finally seemed to resolve many of the issues. It still freezes from time to time. I told her that I suggest she clean install the system with the original version and accept not having some of the new features Ford has rolled out in their updates.

    Clearly Ford like all Software Companies is running hard to get this solid and positive, but clearly started from a bad position of not having enough bodies testing all scenarios before releasing their software.

    Welcome to the world of Software and Bugs.

    Makes one wonder, will the Auto Makers scrap their own system in favor of going with an iPad or Android Tablet to control car functions.

    After all why reinvent the wheel when you have amazing interfaces out there that could be tailored to meet your needs.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Makes you wonder whether Cadillac will suffer a similar fate as Ford. I noticed the JD Power IQS ratings for the XTS and ATS sit at (very shockingly) two orbs. The outgoing CTS, rated at five orbs. It's hard not to conclude, since the ATS and CTS come out of the same factory and nobody's had anything bad to say about the build quality of the ATS, that this is completely because of CUE sending people back to the dealer. Ditto for the 2013 Lincoln MKZ while we're at it.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    this is MFT that I liked

    G3DashComp.jpg

    Gross.

    If there is one thing I certainly don't miss at all, it's the bubbly curvy "areodynamic" designs of all the cars in the 90's. That deck is such a ridiculous waste of space, not to mention it made it near impossible for you to replace their crappy factory systems with something that actually sounded good. I had a hell of a time replacing the one in my Escape, and had to buy some ugly extender to fill in the extra space - but this is even worse.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I did a little digging and it turns out that MyTouch is based on a 600MHz, single-core ARM chip.

    Add in tonnes of unoptimized code, features that heavily tax the chip and it's no wonder that Ford's system is terrible.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Is this really any different from someone mounting their Android phone to their window and using that to control a lot of stuff? Android phones regularly freeze up and become unresponsive as well. That's kind of the nature of touch screen devices, especially in extremely cold or hot weather.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Problem is, with a phone you can replace it pretty easily...the integrated junk in a car you can't easily replace or upgrade. I know about Android phones freezing, I'm on my 2nd Android and quite often I feel like getting a hammer and smashing it into many pieces after it hangs or otherwise behaves stupidly.

    Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Looks like Ford is some trouble with this lawsuit! It is a different world out here in India, customers here do not look for technology rather they look for economy and mileage only! :D

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I did a little digging and it turns out that MyTouch is based on a 600MHz, single-core ARM chip.

    Add in tonnes of unoptimized code, features that heavily tax the chip and it's no wonder that Ford's system is terrible.

    I think it is terrible mostly because of the interface.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor




  • Popular Stories

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. deftonesfan867
      deftonesfan867
      (37 years old)
  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      A group of Shelby GT350 owners are not happy with Ford.
      Yesterday, a lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida claiming that the track-ready GT350 isn't. According to filling, owners complain that the vehicle overheats in as little as 15 minutes due faulty transmissions and rear differentials when driven on a track. When the vehicle does overheat, it goes into a limp mode that reduces power to protect the powertrain. The filing goes on to say that Ford fixed this issue in the 2017 model, but told owners of the 2016 model to make the fixes themselves - a possible breach of the car's warranty.
      “When Ford marketed and sold these Shelby GT350 Mustangs, it knew exactly how to appeal to track-enthusiasts: it marketed enhanced performance in a limited-edition iconic vehicle that has been associated with racing for generations,” said Steve Berman, managing partner of Hagens Berman, the law firm handling the case.
      “We believe that Ford induced purchasers with its ‘track-ready’ marketing, when in fact it knew that this defect would ultimately bar these Mustangs from ever being the hotrod consumers paid for.”
      At the moment, the lawsuit has four named plaintiffs. Hagens Berman estimates about 4,000 owners are affected by this issue. 
      “Ford is committed to providing our customers with top-quality vehicles. However, we do not comment on pending litigation,” said Ford spokesman Bradley Carroll to The Detroit News.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Detroit News

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      A group of Shelby GT350 owners are not happy with Ford.
      Yesterday, a lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida claiming that the track-ready GT350 isn't. According to filling, owners complain that the vehicle overheats in as little as 15 minutes due faulty transmissions and rear differentials when driven on a track. When the vehicle does overheat, it goes into a limp mode that reduces power to protect the powertrain. The filing goes on to say that Ford fixed this issue in the 2017 model, but told owners of the 2016 model to make the fixes themselves - a possible breach of the car's warranty.
      “When Ford marketed and sold these Shelby GT350 Mustangs, it knew exactly how to appeal to track-enthusiasts: it marketed enhanced performance in a limited-edition iconic vehicle that has been associated with racing for generations,” said Steve Berman, managing partner of Hagens Berman, the law firm handling the case.
      “We believe that Ford induced purchasers with its ‘track-ready’ marketing, when in fact it knew that this defect would ultimately bar these Mustangs from ever being the hotrod consumers paid for.”
      At the moment, the lawsuit has four named plaintiffs. Hagens Berman estimates about 4,000 owners are affected by this issue. 
      “Ford is committed to providing our customers with top-quality vehicles. However, we do not comment on pending litigation,” said Ford spokesman Bradley Carroll to The Detroit News.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Detroit News
    • By William Maley
      FORD F-SERIES, SUVS, LINCOLN POST GAINS IN FEBRUARY; FORD'S OVERALL U.S. SALES DOWN 4 PERCENT VERSUS YEAR AGO
      Ford brand SUVs post record February results, with 68,820 vehicles sold Ford F-Series U.S. sales increase 9 percent versus a year ago, with 65,956 pickups sold Lincoln sales increase 9 percent, with gains coming from MKC, MKX and all-new Continental Ford Motor Company total U.S. sales of 208,440 vehicles are down 4 percent from a year ago; retail sales are down 3 percent, while fleet sales decline 5 percent DEARBORN, Mich., March 1, 2017 – Overall Ford Motor Company U.S. sales totaled 208,440 vehicles in February, a 4 percent decline versus a year ago.
      Retail sales of 134,576 vehicles decreased 3 percent, while fleet sales were down 5 percent, with 73,864 vehicles sold. The fleet decline reflects a strong year-ago comparison, with customer orders front-loaded in early 2016.
      Overall car sales were down 24 percent, while customers continue to shift to trucks and SUVs.
      Ford brand SUV sales totaled 68,820 vehicles – record February sales – up 6 percent versus a year ago. Record Escape sales of 27,637 vehicles and a 48 percent increase in Expedition sales drove the gains.
      Ford F-Series was up 9 percent, with 65,956 trucks sold. This represents F-Series’ best sales since 2004, with all-new Super Duty retail gains coming from every region of the country.
      “We continue seeing strong consumer demand for the highest-series Super Duty pickups and the all-new F-150 Raptor, plus greater availability of 2017 model year F-150s,” said Mark LaNeve, vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “This drove a $3,600 increase in average transaction prices for F-Series last month alone, Lincoln had a $2,100 increase, ultimately delivering an overall company transaction price increase of $1,900 per vehicle.”
      Lincoln sales totaled 8,744 vehicles, a 9 percent increase. Lincoln MKC, up 12 percent, MKX, up 1 percent, and all-new Continental sales of 1,079 cars fueled the growth.

  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)