• Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

    Holden Announces New Chairman, 24 Vehicle Launches By 2020


    • Big changes for Holden, along with new products


    Holden has been in a bit of turmoil for the past few years. With declining sales, plant closures coming in a couple of years, and big changes for the Commodore, steady leadership is key. But in the past six years, Holden has gone through six chairmans. The latest one, Gerry Dorizas only lasted eight months on the job. But there will be a new person in charge.

    Last Friday, Holden announced the appointment of Mark Bernhard as Managing Director and Chairman of the brand. This is an important milestone as Bernhard is the first Australian to be in charge since 1990.

    “Mark’s knowledge of GM Holden, our region and GM’s global operations will serve him well in his new role,” said General Motors executive vice president and president of GM International Stefan Jacoby.

    “He will champion the ongoing transition of GM Holden to a National Sales Company and the repositioning of the Holden brand for long-term growth and profitability.”

    Bernhard is no stranger to Holden. He started his career at the company back in 1986 within the in the finance division. Since then, Bernhard has held many roles at GM, including the CFO of Holden.

    "It's wonderful, and quite humbling, to be returning to Holden to lead the company where my career started. I am a Holden man, always have been. [becoming] Managing Director of this company has always been a dream job. While I know that the company is going through a very challenging transition, I also know that it is has a very bright future,"said Bernhard in a statement.

    "I understand that the transition from being a manufacturing company to a national sales company is not easy. We need to ensure that those that leave us as a result of this change are treated with dignity, respect and most of all, support. But I am really looking forward to leading the re-making of our iconic company as we bring in great new product, continue to revitalise our Aftersales service and re-establish ourselves as Australian customers' favourite car company."

    Bernhard begins work at Holden in the third quarter.

    Along with the announcement of a new chairman, GM also announced that Holden will introduce 24 major new models and 36 new powertrains by 2020.

    “While I can’t reveal all the details, I can say that Holden will debut an all-new Barina Spark in the first quarter of 2016, launch a global Captiva replacement and another all-new, world-class SUV to ensure comprehensive offerings in the crucial SUV market segment," said Jacoby.

    Also in the pipeline is the next-generation Commodore and a 'true sports car'.

    Source: Drive.com.au, CarAdvice.com.au, General Motors

    Press Release is on Page 2


    GM Holden Appoints Chairman and Managing Director; Announces 24 Major Vehicle Launches By 2020

    • Mark Bernhard returns to Holden
    • Holden to deliver product onslaught

    Mark Bernhard will return to Holden as Chairman and Managing Director, General Motors (GM) Executive Vice President and President of GM International, Stefan Jacoby, announced today.

    Mr Bernhard began his career in the automotive industry at Holden in 1986, undertaking senior finance roles across GM’s global operations, over the past four decades. He is a former CFO of GM Holden and his current position is Vice President and CFO of Shanghai GM.

    Mr Jacoby said that given his background and experience, Mr Bernhard is the right person to lead GM Holden.

    “Mark’s knowledge of GM Holden, our region and GM’s global operations will serve him well in his new role,” Mr Jacoby said.

    “He will champion the ongoing transition of GM Holden to a National Sales Company and the repositioning of the Holden brand for long-term growth and profitability.”

    Mr Bernhard briefly visited Australia today to speak with GM Holden dealers and will take up his new role in the third quarter this year. He will succeed GM Holden Interim Managing Director and CFO Jeff Rolfs.

    “I want to thank Jeff for taking on leadership of GM Holden on an interim basis. Once the transition with Mark is complete, Jeff will continue to play an important role at GM Holden as CFO,” Mr Jacoby said.

    Mr Jacoby also announced details of Holden’s major new vehicle launch program, delivering 24 major new vehicle launches and 36 new powertrain combinations over the next five years.

    “GM is investing significantly to broaden the Holden product portfolio and deliver world-class vehicles,” Mr Jacoby said.

    “Holden is accessing GM’s global operations to assemble its biggest and best ever product line-up. This new model onslaught will ensure Holden has world-class products in every major segment – a true customer-driven product strategy.

    “While I can’t reveal all the details, I can say that Holden will debut an all-new Barina Spark in the first quarter of 2016, launch a global Captiva replacement and another all-new, world-class SUV to ensure comprehensive offerings in the crucial SUV market segment.

    “Supporting this product onslaught is the bold, new Let’s Go There brand campaign and an ongoing commitment to achieving best-practice customer service.”

    Today’s announcements demonstrate GM’s commitment to Holden and reveal further details about Holden’s long term strategy. In the past 12 months, Holden has also announced:

    • Cascada convertible, Astra hatch and Insignia sedan will launch in 2015;
    • Holden vehicles will continue to be tuned and tested for Australian conditions and customers with the retention of the famous Lang Lang Proving Ground in Victoria;
    • Holden’s Global Design centre continues to contribute to local and global product programs;
    • More than one-third of Holden’s future product portfolio will be sourced from Europe;
    • The esteemed Commodore nameplate will live on with Holden’s next-generation large car; and
    • Holden will have a true sports car in its future product portfolio.

    Mark Bernhard Biography

    Mark Bernhard is currently vice president and chief financial officer of Shanghai GM in Shanghai, China, a position he has held since November 2011. He also was a member of the GM-SAIC joint venture’s Executive Committee.

    Mark began his GM career with GM Holden in 1986, holding various positions in the Finance function.

    He relocated to Zurich, Switzerland, in 1996 as Manager of Budgets and Consolidation for the then GM International Operations. In 1998, Mark was appointed Director of Financial Reporting and Analysis for GM International Operations in Detroit. Two years later, he took on the role of Director of Special Projects at GM Asia Pacific in Singapore, working on the acquisition of Daewoo Motor Company.

    In 2002, Mark became Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Shanghai GM. He was appointed Chief Financial Officer of the GM China Group in 2005. He returned to Australia in 2007 as CFO and Executive Director of Finance for GM Holden, navigating the global financial crisis.

    Mark has a Bachelor of Business (accounting) degree from Monash University, as well as a Master’s degree in Business Administration from Deakin University. He is an FCPA with CPA Australia and a graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD).

    Mark received the Silver Magnolia Award from the Shanghai Municipal Government, which is given to expatriates for their contribution to the economic development of the city. He also received the 2014 Australia China Alumni Award for Banking and Finance.

    0


    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0


    User Feedback


    Interesting, so then to say 36 powertrains, we must divide by 4 to realize that they will have 4 core engine lines that with different tuning and accessories will end up with 9 engine variances of the 4 main lines. 3 petrol and 1 diesel.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor




  • Popular Stories

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Deuce
      Deuce
      (38 years old)
  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      Last October, Chinese automaker Geely unveiled a new global brand called Lynk & Co. This brand stood out in a few ways,
      Vehicles will be sold online Owners will be able to share their Lynk & Co vehicles to make some money An open application programming interface to develop in-car applications Recently announcing all of their vehicles would come with lifetime warranties The plan was for the brand to launch in China this year, with Europe and U.S. following in late 2018. But a new report from Automotive News says the launch for Europe and U.S. has been pushed back to 2019.
      “We think we will start in Europe between the first quarter and the first half of 2019 and enter the U.S. some months later,” said Alain Visser, Lynk & Co's senior vice president of marketing and sales.
      The reason for pushback comes down to Lynk & Co needing more time to establish a company-owned dealership network as it is taking slightly longer to find the locations. Visser said the company wants to build up a network of 500 dealers comprising of flagship and temporary pop-up stores. Despite having stores, vehicles will be sold online and delivered to the owner's house or office.
      Visser said plans for the Chinese launch is still on schedule with the 01 crossover launching towards the end of the year.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      Pic Credit: Newspress

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last October, Chinese automaker Geely unveiled a new global brand called Lynk & Co. This brand stood out in a few ways,
      Vehicles will be sold online Owners will be able to share their Lynk & Co vehicles to make some money An open application programming interface to develop in-car applications Recently announcing all of their vehicles would come with lifetime warranties The plan was for the brand to launch in China this year, with Europe and U.S. following in late 2018. But a new report from Automotive News says the launch for Europe and U.S. has been pushed back to 2019.
      “We think we will start in Europe between the first quarter and the first half of 2019 and enter the U.S. some months later,” said Alain Visser, Lynk & Co's senior vice president of marketing and sales.
      The reason for pushback comes down to Lynk & Co needing more time to establish a company-owned dealership network as it is taking slightly longer to find the locations. Visser said the company wants to build up a network of 500 dealers comprising of flagship and temporary pop-up stores. Despite having stores, vehicles will be sold online and delivered to the owner's house or office.
      Visser said plans for the Chinese launch is still on schedule with the 01 crossover launching towards the end of the year.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      Pic Credit: Newspress
    • By William Maley
      Holden is doing something quite special for buyers of the final Australian-built Commodore. CarAdvice got their hands on an email sent from a Holden dealer showing that customers will have the chance to pick a build number on a first come, first serve basis for the Commodore.
      Here is how the ordering process will work:
      On April 10th, eligible customers will get a test email from Holden to make sure they have the correct email. A week before May 3rd, customers will get access to a landing page along with login credentials On May 3rd at 12 PM, customers will be able to log in and a build number, 1-1200 for Motorsport 1-360 for Director 1-240 for Magnum All numbers will be on a first-come, first-served basis. This will last until May 10th. After this, the remaining numbers will be randomly allocated to owners who didn't pick a number. We haven't heard about an automaker doing something like this before. But it shows that Holden wants to end local manufacturing on a somewhat postive note.
      Source: CarAdvice

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      Holden is doing something quite special for buyers of the final Australian-built Commodore. CarAdvice got their hands on an email sent from a Holden dealer showing that customers will have the chance to pick a build number on a first come, first serve basis for the Commodore.
      Here is how the ordering process will work:
      On April 10th, eligible customers will get a test email from Holden to make sure they have the correct email. A week before May 3rd, customers will get access to a landing page along with login credentials On May 3rd at 12 PM, customers will be able to log in and a build number, 1-1200 for Motorsport 1-360 for Director 1-240 for Magnum All numbers will be on a first-come, first-served basis. This will last until May 10th. After this, the remaining numbers will be randomly allocated to owners who didn't pick a number. We haven't heard about an automaker doing something like this before. But it shows that Holden wants to end local manufacturing on a somewhat postive note.
      Source: CarAdvice
    • By William Maley
      Holden was relying on Opel to help supply its upcoming lineup with models such as the Astra and Insignia rebadged as the Commodore. But with the sale of Opel and Vauxhall to PSA Group, the future of Holden's lineup hangs in the balance. But GM is still committed to the Australian brand and the sale of Opel should not have any impact in the near future according to GM president Dan Ammann.
      “What I want to emphasise is we are 100 per cent committed to the business in Australia and New Zealand, and we have a lot of exciting things in the pipeline. It’s going to be a really good period of time for the business down there,” said Ammann.
      "As a lot of you know there are a lot of people in the business at General Motors that have a lot of history and linkage to Holden and there's nothing we want to see more than seeing the business prosper down there. So we're really committed to making the business work down there."
      For the time being, Holden will be getting the Astra and Commodore from Opel as part of the deal between GM and PSA. Ammann did admit that decisions concerning long-term product plans for Holden are up in the air. 

      "So no specific decisions have been taken on that front. We have, I'd say as a result of yesterday's announcement, more not less opportunities going forward," said Ammann.

      "Clearly the current models that are just launching will run through their full lifecycle and what we do after that is yet to be determined."
      Source: CarAdvice , Drive.com.au, Wheels

      View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)