Rumorpile: Turbo Power for the CX-5?

And we're not talking turbodiesel

When we drove the Mazda CX-5 towards the end of last year, we found ourselves wishing that either the long-delayed turbodiesel or possibly the 2.5: turbo-four from the CX-9 would grace the engine. The 2.5L four-cylinder does ok around town, but really struggles when more speed is needed. It seems our wish could be coming true.

The Truth About Cars obtained a certification document from the California Air Resources Board for the turbocharged 2.5L four-cylinder. In the document, it lists the 2019 CX-9 and CX-5 offering this engine. It would give the CX-5 a nice power boost as the turbo-four produces 227 horsepower (250 horsepower on premium fuel) and 310 pound-feet of torque.

Mazda declined to comment when asked about the document.

We're guessing that Mazda could debut the turbo engine in the CX-5 at the LA Auto Show in November.

Source: The Truth About Cars

Yawn, the CX-9 was a slug to me with that motor, hopefully the liter CX-5 will have more sprint. Wish they would just do a proper NA Direct injection four at 2.9 L and call it good.Torque with a decent bump in HP.

On 6/21/2018 at 5:28 PM, dfelt said:

The CX-9 needs a V6.  This will probably work out very well in the CX-5.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:53 PM, riviera74 said:

The CX-9 needs a V6.  This will probably work out very well in the CX-5.

the 2018 cx9 is 4,166 to 4,361 lbs

the 2018 cx5 is 3,527 to 3,655 lbs

600lbs to 700lbs.  having 2-3 adults less weight would be noticable. it's late, not googling the turbo engine weight difference to N/A engine

10 hours ago, loki said:

the 2018 cx9 is 4,166 to 4,361 lbs

the 2018 cx5 is 3,527 to 3,655 lbs

This.

Though I have driven the 2.3T in the Mazda 6.... I didn't get enough seat time in it for my satisfaction, but my initial impression was that it is still not a V6 replacement, though still better than the base 2.5

I just got to drive 2018 CX-9 this weekend.  Whoever says it is a slug haven't driven any other vehicles in the segment.  CX-9 compared to most of other CUV's drives almost like a sports sedan.  The engine has plenty of power.  Also, it had regular gas in it so it was at a lower power level but it felt quicker and more responsive than 290hp V6 MDX I drove recently.   Big part of it is the transmission of course.  In any case I got to drive it "very spirited" on a twisty road and it moved great for a car its size.

I think CX-5 with that engine will be great since it is smaller and lighter.

On 6/21/2018 at 4:28 PM, dfelt said:

In this class of vehicle it would be perfect. n/a 4 banger would definitely be worse. This is rated 310tq and a n/a engine would probably be in the 225 range.

2 hours ago, ykX said:

I think CX-5 with that engine will be great since it is smaller and lighter.

Totally Disagree, had it for 2 weeks on vacation, car sucks as it is a slug in moving 5 people in the auto. Cramped seating, only the drivers seat is fully adjustable, front passenger sits higher and sucks for big people like me, I had my knees in the dash with the seat back and could not be a passenger so I ended up driving all the time rather than having a drink out once in a while and letting the wife drive.

Auto is just on par with many of the others, it does not handle the curves that well and is constantly needing power and especially Torque.

Maybe if driven alone with a 5'8" tall average male height and weight it might feel more spirited, but loaded with family and luggage, sucked, even with just family it sucked and gas mileage, TERRIBLE. I would never recommend this as a better CUV over other same class CUVs.

PASS BIG TIME!

PASS BIG TIME!

Well, the car I drove was just me (6.1") male and my friend (6.3") male with some stuff in the trunk.  Both of us loved it so lets just agree to disagree.  It is not super spacious, it is smaller than some other cars in the segment, but it drives much smaller than it is and it handles great.  Funny enough most car magazine reviews seem to agree with me and give it a great praise as well (with known shortcomings).

I can't possibly imagine it being so impossibly snug that you couldn't just deal with one trip home from a restaurant/bar in the passenger seat.

Remember, though, dfelt is Thanos sized...can't fit in anything less than a full size GM body on frame SUV it sounds like... ;)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

8 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Oh I know he's huge. But haven't we all sat somewhere for a ride home when drinking before? Just Saturday night I was in the hatch with a second person of a 2010 Escape 😂

Yeah, been there done that.  I know fitting myself (6'0", 200+) into the back of a '15 Mustang was claustrophobic...and sitting in the back seat of a '76 Porsche 911 was beyond uncomfortable.. (had to sit sideways w/ my legs across the seat as there was no legroom--the guys up front were bigger than me).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

LOL Absolutely! Sometimes ya just do what a gotta do.

So I know being tall and cramped but in the front seat of a 3 row crossover CANNOT be THAT bad.

Wife, son and daughter are all 5'8" and my son's girlfriend Kay is only 4'11" and a whopping 90lbs. All 4 of them could not move me if they had to. So out of respect for others, I weight till I get home to drink. Last time I drank out where I needed help was college and it tool 6 guys to carry me up to my dorm room.

Nope, having myself crushed up in a seat, knees into the dash and trying to get a seatbelt on in a very tight and roomless auto like the CX9 is a pass for me.

Not making life hard for others just to enjoy some drinks. Rather hold off and make sure everyone else has fun and gets home safe than want my own  drink out.

LOL Absolutely! Sometimes ya just do what a gotta do.

It is bad when you feel the dash push against your knees and legs cause the seat cannot go back far enough, down far enough etc. CX9 seat adjustments are terrible. Worse I have ever seen in an auto.

Worst for cramped for me is when I find my head touching the rear glass sitting in a backseat..worse than my head touching the headliner.   Had this happen in a '15 Mustang and a Velocter few years ago...

It seems like forever since Mazda announced plans to introduce a diesel engine for the U.S. market. You need to go all the way back to 2010 when the Japanese automaker first announced its intentions, with the ambitious goal of meeting stringent emissions standards without a costly exhaust aftertreatment system. Ambitious and one that would end up going nowhere.
      After almost a decade of various delays, changing plans, and the elephant in the room that is the Volkswagen diesel emission scandal, Mazda has finally announced that they will begin selling a CX-5 turbodiesel beginning this year. No launch window was given, but the company has announced they are beginning to take pre-orders.
      Time to get excited right? Well, no. On paper, the CX-5 Diesel is quite disappointing. The diesel engine in question is a 2.2L Skyactiv-D four-cylinder producing 168 horsepower and 290 pound-feet of torque  (slightly lower from the 170 and 310 figures we have been reporting previously). That's less than the 250 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque for the optional turbocharged 2.5L. Fuel economy isn't a bright spot either. EPA figures for the 2.2 are 27 city, 30 highway and 28 combined - not major improvements over the standard 2.5 four-cylinder of 24/30/26. We should note that Mazda is only planning on offering diesel with all-wheel drive. The front-wheel drive variant we reported on last August doesn't seem to exist at the moment.
      But the final nail in the coffin is the price tag. Mazda is only offering the diesel on the top Signature trim for a base price of $42,045, including $1,045 destination charge. This is a sizeable jump from the Signature with the 2.5T at $38,235.
      It's evident that Mazda is trying to leverage the diesel engine as part of its premium ambitions. But we can't but wonder if Mazda ultimately stuck with this project just to show they could do it. With all of the delays, so-so fuel economy, and high price tag, it will be a hard sell to consumers.
      Source: Mazda
      2019 MAZDA CX-5 SIGNATURE DIESEL ARRIVES AT NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW
      MAZDA’S PATH TO PREMIUM CONTINUES WITH THE ADDITION OF SKYACTIV-D 2.2 TO U.S. ENGINE LINEUP NEW YORK (April 17, 2019) – Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) announced today at the 2019 New York International Auto Show the arrival of the 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature AWD featuring the Skyactiv-D 2.2-liter diesel engine with pre-sales beginning immediately. The show is open to the public from April 19-28.
      In his speech today, Chairman and CEO of MNAO, Masahiro Moro shared updates on Mazda’s journey to Japanese premium along with the ground breaking of Mazda Toyota Manufacturing, U.S.A., Inc. (MTMUS) and the recent leadership enhancements. He introduced Jeffrey Guyton as the new President of MNAO, who brings over 20 years of executive experience from Mazda Motor Europe (MME), as well as vast knowledge related to Mazda’s biggest announcement of the day – the long-awaited arrival of Mazda’s diesel engine to the U.S.
      As Mazda continues toward premium, Guyton and Moro welcomed the addition of the Skyactiv-D 2.2 engine in the U.S. with the expansion of the powertrain lineup in the CX-5, the brand’s best-selling vehicle in the region. Skyactiv-D 2.2 provides Mazda fans another option to enjoy the popular compact crossover SUV and addresses the strong demand for a diesel engine in the U.S. that offers a premium driving experience.
      “As Mazda continues our climb toward premium, we will offer more powertrain choices that premium customers expect,” said Guyton. “I am happy to share that Mazda’s Skyactiv-D 2.2-liter diesel engine is joining the U.S. powertrain lineup with our debut model, the 2019 CX-5 Signature AWD with Skyactiv-D.”
      The 2019 CX-5 Signature AWD with Skyactiv-D 2.2 provides a high torque driving experience and revs freely at high rpms. The Skyactiv-D 2.2 engine is estimated to deliver 168 horsepower at 4,000 rpm and 290 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 rpm with an EPA estimated 27 mpg on city, 30 mpg on highway and 28 mpg overall. A sequential twin turbocharger realizes smooth and linear response from low to high engine speeds, and greatly increases low- and high-end torque (up to the 5,500 rpm rev limit).
      Mazda worked closely with all proper federal and state agencies, such as the California Air Resources Board (CARB), to ensure that the Skyactiv-D 2.2 engine meets the required emission standards and passes all appropriate regulations. With an MSRP[1]of $41,000, the 2019 CX-5 Signature AWD with Skyactiv-D 2.2 is available in four color options: Jet Black or premium paint colors; Snowflake White Pearl, Soul Red Crystal and Machine Gray Metallic.
      Pre-sale for the 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature AWD with Skyactiv-D 2.2-liter diesel engine is available now. For more information about the engine and how to sign up, please visit: https://www.MazdaUSA.com/NYIAS

Source: Mazda
      2019 MAZDA CX-5 SIGNATURE DIESEL ARRIVES AT NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW
    • By Drew Dowdell
      MAZDA REPORTS MARCH SALES RESULTS
      April 2, 2019
      IRVINE, Calif. (April 2, 2019) – Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported total March sales of 26,934 vehicles, a decrease of 19.1 percent compared to March 2018. Year-to-date sales through March saw a decrease of 15.7 percent, with 70,833 vehicles sold. With 27 selling days in March, compared to 28 the year prior, the company posted a decrease of 16.1 percent on a Daily Selling Rate (DSR) basis.
      CPO sales totaled 5,555 vehicles in March, an increase of 22 percent compared to March 2018.Year-to-date CPO sales through March increased 18 percent, with 13,857 vehicles sold.
      Mazda Motor de Mexico (MMdM) reported March sales of 6,031 vehicles, an increase of 46 percent compared to March last year. Year-to-date sales through March increased 22 percent, with more than 16,189 vehicles sold.

1. Gale