• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Rumorpile: Turbo Power for the CX-5?

And we're not talking turbodiesel

When we drove the Mazda CX-5 towards the end of last year, we found ourselves wishing that either the long-delayed turbodiesel or possibly the 2.5: turbo-four from the CX-9 would grace the engine. The 2.5L four-cylinder does ok around town, but really struggles when more speed is needed. It seems our wish could be coming true.

The Truth About Cars obtained a certification document from the California Air Resources Board for the turbocharged 2.5L four-cylinder. In the document, it lists the 2019 CX-9 and CX-5 offering this engine. It would give the CX-5 a nice power boost as the turbo-four produces 227 horsepower (250 horsepower on premium fuel) and 310 pound-feet of torque.

Mazda declined to comment when asked about the document.

We're guessing that Mazda could debut the turbo engine in the CX-5 at the LA Auto Show in November.

Source: The Truth About Cars

Yes please! I know I'm saying no more turbo 4s (for me), but this well make a great crossover even better.

Would sure make this the no-brainer choice in this segment for me pending the new RAV4 hybrid.

Yawn, the CX-9 was a slug to me with that motor, hopefully the liter CX-5 will have more sprint. Wish they would just do a proper NA Direct injection four at 2.9 L and call it good.Torque with a decent bump in HP.

On 6/21/2018 at 5:28 PM, dfelt said:

The CX-9 needs a V6.  This will probably work out very well in the CX-5.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:53 PM, riviera74 said:

The CX-9 needs a V6.  This will probably work out very well in the CX-5.

the 2018 cx9 is 4,166 to 4,361 lbs

the 2018 cx5 is 3,527 to 3,655 lbs

600lbs to 700lbs.  having 2-3 adults less weight would be noticable. it's late, not googling the turbo engine weight difference to N/A engine

10 hours ago, loki said:

the 2018 cx9 is 4,166 to 4,361 lbs

the 2018 cx5 is 3,527 to 3,655 lbs

This.

Though I have driven the 2.3T in the Mazda 6.... I didn't get enough seat time in it for my satisfaction, but my initial impression was that it is still not a V6 replacement, though still better than the base 2.5

I just got to drive 2018 CX-9 this weekend.  Whoever says it is a slug haven't driven any other vehicles in the segment.  CX-9 compared to most of other CUV's drives almost like a sports sedan.  The engine has plenty of power.  Also, it had regular gas in it so it was at a lower power level but it felt quicker and more responsive than 290hp V6 MDX I drove recently.   Big part of it is the transmission of course.  In any case I got to drive it "very spirited" on a twisty road and it moved great for a car its size.

I think CX-5 with that engine will be great since it is smaller and lighter.

On 6/21/2018 at 4:28 PM, dfelt said:

In this class of vehicle it would be perfect. n/a 4 banger would definitely be worse. This is rated 310tq and a n/a engine would probably be in the 225 range.

2 hours ago, ykX said:

I think CX-5 with that engine will be great since it is smaller and lighter.

Totally Disagree, had it for 2 weeks on vacation, car sucks as it is a slug in moving 5 people in the auto. Cramped seating, only the drivers seat is fully adjustable, front passenger sits higher and sucks for big people like me, I had my knees in the dash with the seat back and could not be a passenger so I ended up driving all the time rather than having a drink out once in a while and letting the wife drive.

Auto is just on par with many of the others, it does not handle the curves that well and is constantly needing power and especially Torque.

Maybe if driven alone with a 5'8" tall average male height and weight it might feel more spirited, but loaded with family and luggage, sucked, even with just family it sucked and gas mileage, TERRIBLE. I would never recommend this as a better CUV over other same class CUVs.

PASS BIG TIME!

PASS BIG TIME!

Well, the car I drove was just me (6.1") male and my friend (6.3") male with some stuff in the trunk.  Both of us loved it so lets just agree to disagree.  It is not super spacious, it is smaller than some other cars in the segment, but it drives much smaller than it is and it handles great.  Funny enough most car magazine reviews seem to agree with me and give it a great praise as well (with known shortcomings).

I can't possibly imagine it being so impossibly snug that you couldn't just deal with one trip home from a restaurant/bar in the passenger seat.

Remember, though, dfelt is Thanos sized...can't fit in anything less than a full size GM body on frame SUV it sounds like... ;)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

8 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Oh I know he's huge. But haven't we all sat somewhere for a ride home when drinking before? Just Saturday night I was in the hatch with a second person of a 2010 Escape 😂

Yeah, been there done that.  I know fitting myself (6'0", 200+) into the back of a '15 Mustang was claustrophobic...and sitting in the back seat of a '76 Porsche 911 was beyond uncomfortable.. (had to sit sideways w/ my legs across the seat as there was no legroom--the guys up front were bigger than me).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

LOL Absolutely! Sometimes ya just do what a gotta do.

So I know being tall and cramped but in the front seat of a 3 row crossover CANNOT be THAT bad.

Wife, son and daughter are all 5'8" and my son's girlfriend Kay is only 4'11" and a whopping 90lbs. All 4 of them could not move me if they had to. So out of respect for others, I weight till I get home to drink. Last time I drank out where I needed help was college and it tool 6 guys to carry me up to my dorm room.

Nope, having myself crushed up in a seat, knees into the dash and trying to get a seatbelt on in a very tight and roomless auto like the CX9 is a pass for me.

Not making life hard for others just to enjoy some drinks. Rather hold off and make sure everyone else has fun and gets home safe than want my own  drink out.

LOL Absolutely! Sometimes ya just do what a gotta do.

It is bad when you feel the dash push against your knees and legs cause the seat cannot go back far enough, down far enough etc. CX9 seat adjustments are terrible. Worse I have ever seen in an auto.

Worst for cramped for me is when I find my head touching the rear glass sitting in a backseat..worse than my head touching the headliner.   Had this happen in a '15 Mustang and a Velocter few years ago...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.