What does it mean to buy American?

Some people say cars made by members of the United Auto Workers, in places like Detroit, Mich., are truly American made. Of the 1 million autoworkers in the United States, 250,000 of them are now employed by foreign companies operating assembly lines that are generally in the southern United States.

"The future of the American automobile industry is Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Nissan," said Marcus. "It doesn't mean we are going to lose jobs, because we are going to get new jobs in different parts of the country."

Hmmmm.... 750,000 domestic employees verses 250,000 foreign employees.

Yep, they're the future alright...

Even if GM and Ford we're wiped out simple efficiency would negate the need for that many hirings.

***Everybody remember when I said that "the fact that imports have a few factories in America would be played up, in their defense"

Merry Christmas Virginia! There is a Santa Claus and the imports don't even have to defend themselves, the media does it for them as their own built in PR firm.

These "250,000" UAW members working for foreign companies aren't assembling vehicles...they're making parts. NUMMI (some Corollas, most Tacomas, and all Vibes), Mitsubishi (Endeavor, Galant, Eclipse), and AutoAlliance (Mazda6 and Ford Mustang) are the only UAW assembly plants owned (or co-owned) by Japanese companies.

Nobody cared when Philco, Electrohome, RCA, Admiral and all the rest disappeared either.................

Nobody cared when Philco, Electrohome, RCA, Admiral and all the rest disappeared either.................

I'm sure all those that worked for those companies and bought their products cared. There are also others who cared or would have if they were there, like me. Every American manufacturing business that closes it's doors saddens me (especially when the market is subsequently supplied by imported goods).

General Electric was nearby here, in Schenectady. They had really destructive layoffs 20 some years ago. I was a pretty large facility, a bit of a city itself. they've taken down alot of buildings now and you can see to the back, nearly. parkinglots have been removed and grass planted. Its looking more like athletic fields. It was a steam turbine plant mainly and loss of expanding the Nuclear power plants was primary reason for loss of work. There was also American Locomotive Co. but they were slowing during the 60's I dont know when they shut the doors there. A few thousand paper mill jobs and surrounding forest and trucking industries A few thousand fabric shop jobs Leather industry The areas of Schenectady that were once lower middle class neighborhoods are now mostly comprised of those that dont actually work. The workers went elsewhere, many took awhile to get their feet regrounded, I know a few, I also know a few that still work there. Some relocated for GE elsewhere. Its never pretty and only affects those it touches, no one else knows the feeling, till they feel it.

I'm sure all those that worked for those companies and bought their products cared. There are also others who cared or would have if they were there, like me. Every American manufacturing business that closes it's doors saddens me (especially when the market is subsequently supplied by imported goods).

[post="47707"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I feel the same.

Also its like they dont care about middle class any more.