Power Window malfunctioning...

Just curious what would cause a power window to intermittently malfunction in my Buick... it's the driver's side rear window, and it goes up and down perfectly, but about every other time, it'll stop about an inch from the top when raising it. Never a problem going down. And when it stops, all I have to do is lower the window again an inch or two and hit up and it closes all the way.

Any ideas? No other problems with any of the windows in the car.

These are gremlins. It would be better if it's a switch rather than a motor. Intermittent means it's probably not the motor itself. Either the switch or a short of some sort. For now, I am glad I have manuals. The only time I don't like them is when you want to roll down a window and talk to someone out the pasenger side.

Oh, this is really of no concern to me now... I honestly won't look to fix it, I was just curious what might cause it. It's very rare I lower that particular window anyway.

All right, each window has power run through a circuit breaker in the fuse panel. Those circuit breakers are designed to kill power based upon the resistance found in the wire (either from a bad power window switch or a bad window motor), if the resistance and heat build up too much, the circuit breaker will trip, instantly killing power to the motor. After a couple of seconds, once the wiring cools down, it'll close again and allow you to use the switch to move the window.

This could just be a bad ground for the motor or a bad switch, both aren't too hard to take care of.

All right, each window has power run through a circuit breaker in the fuse panel.  Those circuit breakers are designed to kill power based upon the resistance found in the wire (either from a bad power window switch or a bad window motor), if the resistance and heat build up too much, the circuit breaker will trip, instantly killing power to the motor.  After a couple of seconds, once the wiring cools down, it'll close again and allow you to use the switch to move the window. 

This could just be a bad ground for the motor or a bad switch, both aren't too hard to take care of.

164063[/snapback]

Thanks. I was wondering if it could possibly be a ground thing... not to mention it usually happens on hot days in the summer, so this all makes sense. Sometimes I try and trick the window by only putting it up half the distance and stopping, then going back for more. Again, not a huge prob for me.. and the car won't be around much longer.