Might get an STS...

Whistler

I'm selling a car and a guy that called me is interested in a trade for a Caddy STS... I think it was a 97. I wasn't really planning a trade but I do like the STS and that would save me the hassle of going car hunting...

What should I look for? I haven't seen it yet and I don't even know the miles so I don't have my hopes up for actually trading, but it does interest me. Like I said I love the STS... what problems are common in them? Where should I look to see if the guy actually took care of it or not?

Obvious signs of wear & tear - seat condition, wheel condition, lower air dam condition, etc. Ensure that all the options work as well. Nothing is worse than a Caddy with a busted _____. The oil drips with the Northstar should be corrected by the '97 model year, but check the oilpan anyway to see any signs of oil coating.

I believe there was an ABS module recall for that model year as well as a fuel rail recall for all Northstar and Aurora V8s of this time period. The nylon tubing is to be replaced by stainless steel tubing. Ensure this is done. I know of one Aurora and a DeVille Concours that escaped the recall and subsequently burned up.

What kind of mileage are we talking about?

• 2 weeks later...

Its a 78 Monte Carlo with 79,000km... Its not restored, but it has no rust. The frame has no holes and it runs fine (maybe needs a carb adjustment). Its a little lacking on the cosmetic side, I was hoping to get 4500+ for it (CDN).

Edited by Whistler

I'm a fellow STS owner. (1997) and I'd rather have the Monte Carlo.

Mostly because of the FWD. I hate FWD and the STS will most likely

be the last FWD car I ever buy.

Its a 78 Monte Carlo with 79,000km... Its not restored, but it has no rust. The frame has no holes and it runs fine (maybe needs a carb adjustment). Its a little lacking on the cosmetic side, I was hoping to get 4500+ for it (CDN).

(and)

This is where ol' Cort would come in.. lol

*chuckles*

You betcha.

Whistler ... you're selling that '78? May I ask why? (Just curious....)

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"You might miss what you left behind" ... Dierks Bentley ... 'Slow Down'

Simply... I just dont have the time/energy for it.

When I bought it, I was just finishing high school and had grand plans to repaint it, fix up the interior, throw some new wheels on, etc etc... I figured that with HS over I'd have all the time and money in the world to do it. That was two years ago.

In that time I realized that with university and the money I make at work, I only really have the money to pay for insurance, gas, and maintenance on a car. I really don't have time or money right now to put the extra work into the car that it deserves.

It also isn't practical for me to put so much into a car and only really drive it a couple of months in the year (I'm in Canada, no winter for the Monte).

I actually just took a deposit from a guy and will be getting the balance on monday... shes sold!

Too bad, I really liked the car, but its just not right for me now... I need a daily driver.

I passed on the STS... Too much was open to question on that, I doubt it would have lasted longer than a year.

Right now I'm prowling the lots for a nice W-body... Intrigues, Impalas, GPs, Regals... maybe an 00 Monte ;) . One of those will fit me nicely until I finish my degree and get a real job. Maybe then I'll have time for another old car.

Myself as a 3800 speciallist. The GTP's with SC engine are a great buy today, so are the Rivs. Intrigue with 3.5 I have recently found to have quite a good reputation.

There are concernes with the NA 3800 series II intake manifolds and gaskets. A fairly costly repair.......................destroyed an otherwise bullet proof drivetrain and car(s).

the 60* engines....................ah...............couldnt have been to great if the Pontiac and Chevy W body crowd jumped up and down when they heard they would recieve the 3800...................