Studebaker R1, R2, R3, R4

While this relly isn't a triva question for you to guess, it is some triva that those that love older cars might be interested in.

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting C&G member Balthazar at the cruise night here in Spotswood, NJ. We had a good time BS'n about cars (and making fun of the 2002 PT Loser with sissor-doors, undercarrage lights and more Fast&Furious slow-me-down mods than one can imagine (yes it did win a trophy, but so did I again, wee!).

We got to talking about the Studebaker engines used in the Avanti and casted doubt if we had it right (Mark, you were more right than I was). Here's the Avanti lineup for 63 and 64 (BTW, mine is a R1)

The Avanti R1 was a 289 cubic inch carbureted version with a 4 barrel and the R2 was a 289 cubic inch version equipped with a supercharger. The R3 was a special performance supercharged variation displacing 304 cubic inches and very few of these were built. The R3 version came with a bored out 304.5 cubic inch V8 stuffed into the engine bay, modified suspension and 4-wheel disc brakes. Responsibility for the aggressive engine development plans fell into the hands of Andy Granatelli of Indianapolis 500 fame. Like the earlier 289 cid R2 version, the R3 was also supercharged, fully blueprinted to racing specs and hand built by Paxton. There were also R4 and R5 performance variations, but none of these were sold to the public.

R4's were a non-supercharged version of the R3's. Approximately 140 R3/R4 engines were made. Only a fraction of these still exist. These engines display many serial number irregularities: some prototypes were not numbered; very early ones have RS stamped on the block; two experimental numbers are EX2123 and EX2132; one prototype number is RS1021; and others start with B1 and go as high as B153. The experimental "Due Cento" with the only R5 dual supercharged engine built by Paxton reached 196.62 mph.

Posted Image

http://www.theavanti.com/RSeries.html

Just thought I'd share...

• Agree 1

Goodie: production quantities! (adds to growing file)

'63-64 R1 : 240/289CI 4bbl

'63-64 R2 : 290/289CI SC

'64 R3 : 335/304CI SC

'64 R4 : 280/289CI 8bbl

'64 R5 : 575/?? twin SC

I had the 304" right, but I was mistaken in that I thought the R3/R4s were available in '63 and the specs changed to '64. I also remembered the R4 as being a 304. I need to pick up an authorative Studebaker book.

Pleasure to meet you & your family, Walt. Nice lil' show. Congrats on another trophy, let's talk car wax... ;)

According to my source, (10) "saleable" new '64s were factory-fitted with R3 motors (9 Avantis and 1 Commander 2-dr sedan) while (1) Daytona hardtop had a factory-installed R4. I don't know if these numbers are correct; it would mean of the 104 R3/R4 engines, only 11 were installed. Rest: over the counter to racers??

Seems a curious disparity to me; I would expect over 50% to be installed, not merely 10%. Unknown.

According to my source, (10) "saleable" new '64s were factory-fitted with R3 motors (9 Avantis and 1 Commander 2-dr sedan) while (1) Daytona hardtop had a factory-installed R4. I don't know if these numbers are correct; it would mean of the 104 R3/R4 engines, only 11 were installed. Rest: over the counter to racers??

Seems a curious disparity to me; I would expect over 50% to be installed, not merely 10%. Unknown.

184402[/snapback]

That Daytona is a very cool car.

Yup... Balthazar's good people, he even let me see his

Steel Harem when I saw him. I'd love to see that 1959

Buick once it's on the road and finished. Perhaps after

that he'll dust off that Grand Prix and get to work on

that car.

Next time I'm down there in NJ/PA I'd love to meet up

with all of you guys again. If I feel really sassy after

the brakes, valvejob & carb rebuild are done on the

Super 88 maybe I'll drive it all the way to Hershey, PA

someday. I already did it in a '84 Datsun with 150,000

miles... why not in a '64 Olds with 25,000 miles? :P

• 15 years later...

Stupid young male.  I was in the Navy during Vietnam.  I bought an Avanti to commute to training in San Diego.  I decided to see how fast it would go. - it was 3AM on the early Interstate.  At 150, about 4500 RPM I punched it and it still accelerated.  I gave up.   What a car.  Glad I did not kill myself!