Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chin Spoilers

Derek77

What's the purpose of the chin spoiler on the Equinox? Does the Equinox need the spoiler for downforce at high speeds? It can't be an air dam because the grill of the Nox is more than big enough for air to cool the radiator. To me, it looks like it is just a drag on the air as it flows around the spoiler. This can be said for a lot of vehicles on the road. So, apparently there is a reason for it, but what?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of them even help in keeping the engine cool by redirecting the air up through the radiator/engine bay. I believe the one in my Cobalt is like that.

Shure its small and seems silly. Drive that SUV at 90 mph with it on the highway. Then remove it and drive it again at the same speed. That little peace of plastic makes a BIG difference.

[post="13669"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't know about 90 mph. I rode in an S-10 that had the front spoiler removed and with a mild 350 that ran 14s in the quarter racing a Mustang on a highway. We had to have been going 130 or so before we shut it down. But when we hit 130 or so, you could feel the front end raising up from all the air getting underneth the truck. But we are not talking about high performance vehicles, we are talking about stock trucks that are limited to 105 to 110. I would like to see someone test this at highway speeds.

The big 2005 pickups and SUV's got a new air dam. Combined with a few other minor aerodynamic tweaks such as sealed tow hooks, these changes added 0.25 mpg over previous years. The Equinox probably has its air dam for a similar reason.

Yeah, what they said. Not like this thign will be doign a lot of off-roading anyway. :rolleyes:

Posted Image