My Stereo System is (Officially) Getting Replaced

NOS2006

Alright, I've got the stock Monsoon system right now. HERE is a little read up on that. This is what I'm looking into:

Head Unit: Kenwood KDC-MP2032

Component Speakers: Rockford Fosgate P1625 (one in each door)

Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate P110S4 10" Stage 1

I'm going to put the 10" sub in a custom box in the trunk, but I'm not sure if I should step up to the Stage 2 or not. I'm pretty set on the head unit and component speakers though. One question: what size/type of amp should I get? I'm not trying to spend a lot of money, just enough to get a nice sounding stereo...

Well, get an amp with rms power in the mid to upper range of the sub's rms power, but do not get one with more power than the subwoofer. That's really all you need to know as far getting an amp goes.

However, also consider what all it will be powering. Just the sub(s) or all speakers and the sub(s). Powering everything will give you a more balanced sound while powering just the sub(s) will give you a sound with booming bass, basically. The latter is easier, and cheaper, to do and you'll still have a good sounding system compared to one without an amp and sub as well as your stock system.

One last thing... Kenwood? You crazy. :P

Boston acoustics

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_pro...3&product_id=84

those in the doors 6 1/2 right?

for your rears i dont know what size but go with some decent speakers like BostonAcoustics or Poineer premiers.

the radio go with Alpine or poineer. and spend at least 125 dollars make sure there 50wx4

Woffer in the back? go with a JL audio W6 10 inch. they make a box that fits 10inch subs in that cubby hole in the trunk.

Power it with a 500 watt rms Apline amp.

it should sound good!

but cost alot

go to Car tunes in front of sams near 13 on gratiot.

i love my polk db speakers in my monte, 5 1/4 front and 6 1/2 in back, well rounded and not harsh highs cause of the silk domes.

as far as h/u goes... whatever, if it meets your needs and prolly has a decent pre-out V .

w/ a pioneer though, i like the built in x-overs hi and low. the 4xxx model that's new...?

not familiar w/ amps really, or at least installing them. have fun.

for an amp... would an alpine 4x40W or 2x40w and 1 x100w (retail $200) work for you? i think they make a 4x50W also....

I have had my eye on this head unit for awhile now, and i think im gonna go for it this weekend.  HERE

186319[/snapback]

USB equiped h/u look very tempting lol... hope pioneer comes out w/ one next year, only bad thing i've heard about the jvc is how the usb controls work, takes a while to understand it's file system browser...

Hey Schuby, you know of anybody at Kettering who is good for hooking up stereo systems? lol

186506[/snapback]

ME! :) I have done my system, and the same for a couple of friends.

You should check out Gibralter if you want some good deals on audio equipment.

ME!  :)  I have done my system, and the same for a couple of friends.

You should check out Gibralter if you want some good deals on audio equipment.

186539[/snapback]

OH, Gibraltar.. I totally forgot about that place. When are they open? And is there a cost to get in?

You do them? Fricking sweet! lol I'm thinking about trying to get all the equipment before October then bringing it to school and having someone help me throw it all together since IDK anything about systems so I'll probably wire everything wrong lol (I can splice/split wires though! haha). Would ya mind helping me if I'm able to get the equipment (I'll supply the tools lol)?

OH, Gibraltar.. I totally forgot about that place. When are they open? And is there a cost to get in?

You do them? Fricking sweet! lol I'm thinking about trying to get all the equipment before October then bringing it to school and having someone help me throw it all together since IDK anything about systems so I'll probably wire everything wrong lol (I can splice/split wires though! haha). Would ya mind helping me if I'm able to get the equipment (I'll supply the tools lol)?

186549[/snapback]

Gibralter is open Fri, Sat, Sun, and is like $2 to park. There are a few audio people there, but the person with the best deals is the crazy chinese guy. I dont know his real name or anything, but if you see him you will know he is the crazy chinese guy.

I wouldn't have a problem helping you out with that stuff. It should only take a few hours.

Have you seen these enclosures? I know a few people with the hidden one and they love it.

Enclosures

lmao the crazy chinese guy? Okay. I might be up there this weekend...

Yeah, actually that's the style I plan to have my dad help me build.. the one "hidden" in the driver's side of the compartment. Here's a thread on the buildable box... right HERE

lmao the crazy chinese guy? Okay. I might be up there this weekend...

Yeah, actually that's the style I plan to have my dad help me build.. the one "hidden" in the driver's side of the compartment. Here's a thread on the buildable box... right HERE

186607[/snapback]

I hope you are planning on going with the wood one..... You can get the wood and carpet at a Home Depot. You dont want to mess with fiberglass.

Oh yeah. Wood all the way.. when there's something to be built with wood and/or metal, my dad's the go to guy lol.

Plus, I learned that fiberglass BLOWS just from having to drill holes in the inside of my door to pop out the rivets on the power window motor to replace it. I was itching like hell all night.. and I only drilled out 3 holes!

USB equiped h/u look very tempting  lol...    hope pioneer comes out w/ one next year,  only bad thing i've heard about the jvc is how the usb controls work, takes a while to understand it's file system browser...

186501[/snapback]

Yeah, i have played around with the USB input and its OK. The real reason I want it is because of the IPOD compatibility, and the JVC IPOD adapter is alot cheaper then other brands.

Plus, I learned that fiberglass BLOWS just from having to drill holes in the inside of my door to pop out the rivets on the power window motor to replace it. I was itching like hell all night.. and I only drilled out 3 holes!

186609[/snapback]

ROOK!

If you deal alot with it you learn secrets real fast.

Yeah, I'll be able to go.. maybe this weekend? IDK. I don't know when I'll make it up there. Maybe next weekend..?

190248[/snapback]

Will I would like to go soon, I dont have any bass :hissyfit: . So this weekend would probably be the best for me. It should only take an hour or so.

Well at least you guys aren't like me. My truck only had a stock AM radio in it (which still works mind you). So I had to do a complete stereo design and build. I've got two 10" subs behind the seats, two 6-1/2" mids in the middle of the box for mid-range stuff. Two 6x9s in the center console for some up-front base and mids, two 4.5" for mids and highs, then four fully dedicated tweeters for the really high stuff. The head unit is a 50w-4channel with 5watt-pre-amp output. The amp is a 340-watt Jensen unit that powers just the subs. Overall, its a good system and sounds good in the truck, but then again, I designed and built all the enclosures and everything else. I'll see if I can't dig up some pictures of all the speakers in the truck if I can.

schuby you did unhook at least you subs right? since if the amp only works in short periods it can be putting out wierd voltages, ampres, and hertz. This could harm you subs.

schuby you did unhook at least you subs right? since if the amp only works in short periods it can be putting out wierd voltages, ampres, and hertz. This could harm you subs.

190324[/snapback]

Yeah, I unhooked everything and hooked up my sub to another amp just to make sure it was the amp acting up. I'm gonna take the amp into work tomorow and have one of the electrical engineers take a look at it.