Saturn

Let's do a comparison between Chrysler & Saturn

Chrysler gets products from Germany

Saturn gets products from Germany

Chrysler gets its RWD technologies from Mercedes

Saturn could get its RWD technologies from Holden

Chrysler will get its future FWD platforms from German VW.

Saturn will get its future FWD platforms from German Opel

Chrysler sells Jeep at its dealers.

Saturn could sell Hummer at its dealers.

Obviously these are not currently the total reality for both brands but, they do both seem potentially similar. If Holden sells both RWD and Opel models then why shouldn't Saturn do the same?

I think Chevy & Saturn should have RWD. Chevy would do American style RWD while Saturn will seem far more European. Compare Dodge vs. Chevy & Chrysler vs. Saturn.

So, what does Saturn look like, if looks more like Chrysler or Holden.

Corsa

Astra

Aura

Omega(Commodore)

Insignia(Caprice/Statesman)

Vue

Outlook

Sky

Saturn makes more sense than Pontiac or Buick for RWD because, Pontiac is GM's youth brand. Like Scion, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Pontiac buyers show no interest in the GTO, Grand Prix, or Bonneville. The G6 is a luxury car to these kids. Pontiac must stay FWD only, except for the Solstice. Buick on the other hand competes with the demographic whom buys Toyotas, Hondas, & Nissans. So, Buick should stay FWD except for a RWD Zeta halo car to take on the Mazda RX-8, Nissan 350Z, & Toyota Supra.

In review, Saturn goes Holden crazy and Hummer moves into Saturn dealerships.

The Saturn-Hummer channel is born.

Well, I'm sure you want to tell me what you think.

Edited by carman21

If a RWD vehicle is coming from Holden, I think Pontiac would be the one to get it Also, as far as I know Chrysler is developing the FWD minivan architecture which VW will use, and I believe that VW and Chrysler aren't workiing on a small car architecture, they canceled plans, though I could be wrong.

Let's do a comparison between Chrysler & Saturn

Chrysler gets products from Germany

Saturn gets products from Germany

Chrysler gets its RWD technologies from Mercedes

Saturn could get its RWD technologies from Holden

Chrysler will get its future FWD platforms from German VW.

Saturn will get its future FWD platforms from German Opel

Chrysler sells Jeep at its dealers.

Saturn could sell Hummer at its dealers.

193445[/snapback]

Chrysler doesn't get anything from Germany unless you count the Crossfire. Even if they did, how would this make Chrysler and Saturn competitors?

Chrysler gets RWD from MB, and GM is getting it from Holden. I see no reason why this means they would compete?

I think VW and Chrysler broke their partnership.

No way that Hummers and Saturns should be sold alongside each other.

Obviously these are not currently the total reality for both brands but, they do both seem potentially similar. If Holden sells both RWD and Opel models then why shouldn't Saturn do the same?

Because that's not Saturn's mission?

I think Chevy & Saturn should have RWD. Chevy would do American style RWD while Saturn will seem far more European. Compare Dodge vs. Chevy & Chrysler vs. Saturn.

The Charger and 300 drive similarly I think, so I don't see why this would make Chevy and Dodge American and Saturn and Chrysler European.

So, what does Saturn look like, if looks more like Chrysler or Holden.

Corsa

Astra

Aura

Omega(Commodore)

Insignia(Caprice/Statesman)

Vue

Outlook

Sky

Saturn needs the Corsa OR Astra, but not both, the Aura, Vue, Outlook, and Sky. Nothing more.

Saturn makes more sense than Pontiac or Buick for RWD because, Pontiac is GM's youth brand. Like Scion, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Pontiac buyers show no interest in the GTO, Grand Prix, or Bonneville. The G6 is a luxury car to these kids. Pontiac must stay FWD only, except for the Solstice.

What? Pontiac is the youth brand to some degree, and young people like fun-to-drive cars, therefore, RWD is the way to go.

Buick on the other hand competes with the demographic whom buys Toyotas, Hondas, & Nissans. So, Buick should stay FWD except for a RWD Zeta halo car to take on the Mazda RX-8, Nissan 350Z, & Toyota Supra.

No, Buick competes with Chrysler, Lincoln, Mercury (a little), and should compete with Acura, Lexus, and some VWs in the future. Saturn is the brand that's competing with Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.

Chrysler doesn't get anything from Germany unless you count the Crossfire. Even if they did, how would this make Chrysler and Saturn competitors?

Chrysler gets RWD from MB, and GM is getting it from Holden. I see no reason why this means they would compete?

I think VW and Chrysler broke their partnership.

No way that Hummers and Saturns should be sold alongside each other.

Because that's not Saturn's mission?

The Charger and 300 drive similarly I think, so I don't see why this would make Chevy and Dodge American and Saturn and Chrysler European.

Saturn needs the Corsa OR Astra, but not both, the Aura, Vue, Outlook, and Sky. Nothing more.

What? Pontiac is the youth brand to some degree, and young people like fun-to-drive cars, therefore, RWD is the way to go.

No, Buick competes with Chrysler, Lincoln, Mercury (a little), and should compete with Acura, Lexus, and some VWs in the future. Saturn is the brand that's competing with Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.

193458[/snapback]

Northstar, I usually agree with 90%of the time but, I'm just suggesting ideas not facts on Saturn's Future with in GM. 8)

Ok, point taken not much comes from Germany for either brand.

MB & Holden act as sources of modern RWD technologies.

Chrysler wants to get VW platforms in exchange for giving VW a minivan. The 2007 Sebring & Avenger is the last co-op project between Mitsu & Chrysler. So, VW either the Jetta or Passat will serve as a basis for the next Sebring/Avenger.

The Corsa may be overkill in the US market.

Pontiac is the clearest candidate for a Youth brand in GM. GM does not as of yet have cheap enough RWD technology that would interest young people for price or their parents for safety(many parents grew up on the myth of RWD is too dangerous in the rain, ice, or snow).For now, FWD is Pontiac's best bet aside from the Solstice.

Buick has the best quality of any non-luxury brand. The Lucerne CXS actually is cheaper in price than a Avalon. So, Toyota is in reality is what Buick should try to copy.

Lincoln is way more expensive than Buick.

Mercury does compete with Buick but, barely anymore.

Chrysler's 300 sells its V-6 versions from $22-28k. Way cheaper than a Lucerne.

Buick could be a luxury player but, that would hurt Cadillac and I rather have a non-luxury Buick than a weak or low volume Cadillac.

The Saturn answer to the 300 would look more European due to its Opel-insipred styling. Chevy would look old-school 1960s Chevy. The Charger look far more American than the 300 in my book. Thjat is kinda subjective though.

Hummer is moving downscale and more fuel efficient besides they are targeting the same demographic as Saturn. Yuppies trying to be diffrent.

Edited by carman21