Hyundai recalls 240,000 cars

Northstar

Reuters / September 15, 2005 DETROIT -- Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd. is recalling 240,000 Elantra sedans in the United States because of a problem with the occupant classification system, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Cars involved in the recall are from the 2004 and 2005 model years, NHTSA said on its Web site on Thursday. The occupant classification system installed in the front passenger seat of the vehicle may mistakenly identify a child seat as an adult passenger, NHTSA said. This may occur if the child seat is installed after an adult has been seated, and could result in the right front airbag or side-impact airbag being deployed in a crash, according to NHTSA.

Thank God Hyundai has made all those airbags standard now. I feel much safer, especially if the airbags don't realize I am there. Occupant classification? Is that, like: 1) Moron you are stuck in a 60 month lease and will get nailed $1,200 to "recondition" the vehicle. 2) Idiot you fell for the line "0 down/$179 a month, didn't you? 3) Stupid Yes, you did pay $16,000 for a car that will be worth $3,000 when you finally own it. 4) Loser 5 year, bumper to bumper warranty? We had to, of course. Disclaimer: My apologies to any morons, idiots, losers, stupid people or losers who take offense at being associated with a Hyundai product.

But if they won't work, who cares? I just don't get it: if I lose a customer to Honda or Toyota - oh, well, at least I tried. But when someone buys a Hyundai I just don't get it. They have consistently been at the bottom of everybody's quality rankings for TWENTY years. Why are they even still in business? I would rather buy a 5 year old Honda, then a new Hyundai. Same quality anyway.

But if they won't work, who cares?

I just don't get it: if I lose a customer to Honda or Toyota - oh, well, at least I tried.  But when someone buys a Hyundai I just don't get it.  They have consistently been at the bottom of everybody's quality rankings for TWENTY years.  Why are they even still  in business?
  I would rather buy a 5 year old Honda, then a new Hyundai.  Same quality anyway.

[post="15083"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hyundai has made such giant leaps in quality lately that I would sooner buy a Hyundai than a Honda or Toyota. Honda and Toyota are vastly overpriced for what you get - Hyundai keeps their pricing more fair like GM. I admire them for actually trying, as opposed to just resting on their laurels like the Japanese.

Hyundai has made such giant leaps in quality lately that I would sooner buy a Hyundai than a Honda or Toyota. Honda and Toyota are vastly overpriced for what you get - Hyundai keeps their pricing more fair like GM. I admire them for actually trying, as opposed to just resting on their laurels like the Japanese.

[post="15098"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, you do get money back in the end. The best way to buy a car is 2 years old. Just after the price dreopped half and has lots of life left.

At least the Elantra has this system. I don't think many cars in this class even offer it.

Well, I know the Corolla has it, it also doen't deploy if there is nobody in the seat. That is what the little flashy light in the dash does...! :huh: