Winter rims

I'm buying winter tires for the Cobalt this winter (Michelin X-Ice).

I'm trying to decide what to do for rims. I was initially going to buy steel rims to mount the snow tires on so I could put them on and off myself. The salesman told me that since I had the OE rims on there, there was really no point in buying steel rims. Only people with expensive aftermarket rims really need them. I don't think he was trying to screw me, since he knew I was just buying the tires there and not going there to have them taken on/off. He also said that the tires would need to be balanced after installation and removal whether they were on steel rims or my original ones. I don't really understand that one - if I just switch the rims, why would the tires need balancing?

So what does everybody think? What's the better idea:

1: Install and remove the tires from my factory rims every fall and spring.

2: Buy steel rims, and take them on and off myself every fall and spring.

Price is obviously a concern in the decision, but if there are any other major factors to go with one of these choices over the other, please let me know.

I'm buying winter tires for the Cobalt this winter (Michelin X-Ice).

I'm trying to decide what to do for rims. I was initially going to buy steel rims to mount the snow tires on so I could put them on and off myself. The salesman told me that since I had the OE rims on there, there was really no point in buying steel rims. Only people with expensive aftermarket rims really need them. I don't think he was trying to screw me, since he knew I was just buying the tires there and not going there to have them taken on/off. He also said that the tires would need to be balanced after installation and removal whether they were on steel rims or my original ones. I don't really understand that one - if I just switch the rims, why would the tires need balancing?

So what does everybody think? What's the better idea:

1: Install and remove the tires from my factory rims every fall and spring.

2: Buy steel rims, and take them on and off myself every fall and spring.

Price is obviously a concern in the decision, but if there are any other major factors to go with one of these choices over the other, please let me know.

209963[/snapback]

I'd suggest looking for a set of OEM take-off wheels on eBay for the winter tires. Usually you can pick up a set of 4 for a few hundred.

Guest YellowJacket894

How about buying a nice set of rims and tires you like to use in the spring, summer, and early fall, keep the stock rims, and mount some winter tires on them?

Might be a little costly, though.

I don't think the salesman understands you since if you had a separate set of rims for regular and one set for the winter tires they would not need to be balanced since you are not removing any of the tires from the rims themselves. Hope that helps. Same with the last idea of buying aftermarket rims mount the winter tires on the stock steel rims and then in the spring swap out the winter rims and tires with your new aftermarket ones. Just make sure in between seasons you store the other set of tires in a good place off the concrete so the rubber doesn;t rot out.

Edited by Buickfosure

No interest in aftermarket rims. Waste of money IMO. Black rims during the winter is fine for me.

Trust me, the salesman understood what I meant. He said that since the car's suspension had spent time with a different set of wheels and tires, the new wheels and tires to be put on would need to be balanced. I actually was told that from more than one source - is that wrong?

No interest in aftermarket rims. Waste of money IMO. Black rims during the winter is fine for me.

Trust me, the salesman understood what I meant. He said that since the car's suspension had spent time with a different set of wheels and tires, the new wheels and tires to be put on would need to be balanced. I actually was told that from more than one source - is that wrong?

210550[/snapback]

a tire/wheel combo needs to be balanced. if u keep the same wheels and just buy tires, you will have to have the tires balanced every time they are installed on the wheel. every time you have the tires changed, you'll have to have the wheels on the machine that 'installs' the tires, which adds some wear to the wheel.

there is a cost to do that every season, so it also depends on how long you want to keep the car. if you do buy a winter wheel/tire package, then you'll probably be able to sell it used (as long as decent tread on tire) in the future.

re: aftermarket wheels. you can get a set of 15" for $100 Cdn, with tires installed. black steel wheels cost $60 Cdn new, plus tire installation, so the price difference is not that significant if you are concerned about the 'look' of your car for 5 months of the year.

also, if u want hub caps, got to add the cost of those too.

finally, $$ while a concern, doesn't seem to be the prime issue, as I don;t think that X-ice are the least expensive winter tires you can buy.

Look on eBay and craigslist or in your local paper or want-ad type thing and look to see what people are getting rid of. Seeing as how rims are the only thing that people know how to add to a car these days, there are an amazing amount of stock wheels to be had at cheap prices because people sell their stock set once they get whatever aftermarket rims they want. The way I found my winter wheels for my Riviera is that I was surfing on eBay one night and there was a guy about 30 miles away that was parting out a '95, had the taillight assembly up for auction but said to email him if you have any needs. I asked him if he had the wheels for it still, he said he did, and ended up meeting him about halfway between our houses. I got a set of stock '95 wheels in fantastic shape that are the silver version of my chrome wheels that I use in nicer months and four tires with 80% tread life left on them for $150. Thanks for posting, by the way; you reminded me I need to mount those..... :lol:

Buy 4 rims and mount your snow tires on them. GM dealers are selling them for $40 each CDN. Figure it costs $50 in the spring and another $50 in the fall to have your tires changed over and balanced etc and the new rims will pay for themselves in just 2 years. Plus you won't have to deal with the line ups and hassels you can just change them yourself at home for free.