Consider a "repaired" car?

daves87rs

This is kinda of a interesting idea. I usually frown on even the thought of doing it,

but due to some of the major sucesses I've seen ( friend-05 Sunfire/ Co-worker

03 Cavalier), it has my considering the idea myself..

Keep in mind, this is going to be the beater, not the main car. I want a nice, new car that I can baby. :)

The only requirements is that is has air, a Cd player, and decently low miles...

More than my rusty beater has now... :(

So far I've nosed though the world of 03-05 cavaliers, due to the low price,

decent on gas, and pretty easy to fix. So far I found a 03 LS sport w/ 52k for

5 grand, and 04 base sedan with 49k for 4500...both with repaired front ends.

Now I know you really have to take a look at these type of cars...what do you guys

think?

I would only do it with full knowledge of the repair quality, unless the price is so ridiculously low it doesn't matter.

212199[/snapback]

Very true. A buddy of mine who repairs cars would be dragged along if I found

a decent one....

Though He suggested a lower end model (base)-the less options, the less that

can go wrong......

Though I would really want to know where the car was (hit)...and how much

was fixed...

I would want a car dumped in a river or something.... :(

Keep in mind, this is going to be the beater, not the main car. I want a nice, new car that I can baby.  :)

212195[/snapback]

im not sure...is this the car you want to baby or is it a beater?

either way the cavs certainly can take a beating. the ecotech is a pretty damn good motor, and hasnt had any issues either in any of the ones i know about.

did i mention they take abuse rather well? a friend of mine was filling it with

paint thinner or kerosene at one point. and it still rode like a champ. brakes last quite a while, too. tranny is wonderful. dont even know its there half the time.

just make sure your comfy in those seats. or get the beads like the paky's have in the cabs.

oh, and if repair work is done right nine times out of ten it comes out better and stronger than originally. assuming you know where it came from that should be the least of your concerns. in other words julio, pepe or jeb didnt duct tape the $h! together in his garage just to flip it.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

im not sure...is this the car you want to baby or is it a beater?

either way the cavs certainly can take a beating.  the ecotech is a pretty damn good motor, and hasnt had any issues either in any of the ones i know about.

did i mention they take abuse rather well?  a friend of mine was filling it with

paint thinner or kerosene at one point.  and it still rode like a champ.  brakes last quite a while, too.  tranny is wonderful.  dont even know its there half the time.

just make sure your comfy in those seats.  or get the beads like the paky's have in the cabs.

212425[/snapback]

Nope, this is going to be the beater. I want to save for a nice, new GM car.

This one takes the midwest winters and nasty traffic.

I love the eco. I swear you would have to bomb the engine to stop it from

running. :AH-HA_wink:

The cavs aren't my favorite car, but they make kick butt beaters... 8)

You are so right about the seats though...

another option would be a late model Saturn S-Series that someone broke the engine or tranny in, and just replace/get it replaced. Though, heck, I've seen '02 SL2s go for $5-6,000 without any problems. The cars hold up very well if not beat on too badly, get great milage, etc, etc. They are a bit small for some people's tastes, though.

I picked up a '99 SC2 with a bad tranny and a few other things that need attention for a grand. Gonna be fun to fix up, and cheap transportation that I can also have some fun with. :D

another option would be a late model Saturn S-Series that someone broke the engine or tranny in, and just replace/get it replaced.  Though, heck, I've seen '02 SL2s go for $5-6,000 without any problems.  The cars hold up very well if not beat on too badly, get great milage, etc, etc.  They are a bit small for some people's tastes, though.

I picked up a '99 SC2 with a bad tranny and a few other things that need attention for a grand.  Gonna be fun to fix up, and cheap transportation that I can also have some fun with. :D

212494[/snapback]

Very true. They do go pretty cheap around here..

My good friend has a light blue 02 SL2, with about 70k on it now..with only

one problem with it since he bought it-a leaky trans (fixed under warr.)

Good point, they tend to take a beating too...plus, they don't rust. :)

Maybe I should look into those too...they are quite easy to drive.....

Only a grand? Any pics?

Very true. They do go pretty cheap around here..

My good friend has a light blue 02 SL2, with about 70k on it now..with only

one problem with it since he bought it-a leaky trans (fixed under warr.)

Good point, they tend to take a beating too...plus, they don't rust. :)

Maybe I should look into those too...they are quite easy to drive.....

Only a grand? Any pics?

212541[/snapback]

Sure:

http://www.spocnorth.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=17

Sweet. It looks pretty good. How many miles on it?

I do like those coupes... :)

213228[/snapback]

130k Engine runs well. Should be getting the tranny soon for about $400 - rebuilt, and welded differential pin (weak point of the Saturn tranny). I'm currently cleaning the seats & carpet.

Posted Image

These things are SO easy to work on. :)

Only 130k? that thing is still a baby... :P

213612[/snapback]

Well, previous owners have beat on it enough to be equivalent of probably 250K miles. :-p I can't complain though... if they hadn't beat on it so badly, I wouldn't have been able to afford it. lol Seriously, though - all the important (to me) stuff was still in good shape - it hasn't been wrecked seriously, just a a cracked or gouged fender here or there that will be unbolted and replaced - engine runs well, which will get me through til I can build something... better. :lol: Interior is a bit ragged, but I want to do some different stuff in there as well. It's loaded up with decent features, and the only thing in that not working right is the driver's side power lock, which I need to get an actuator for. Unfortunately found out that the '99 3dr coupe has its own unique actuator. :P

Well, previous owners have beat on it enough to be equivalent of probably 250K miles. :-p  I can't complain though... if they hadn't beat on it so badly, I wouldn't have been able to afford it. lol  Seriously, though - all the important (to me) stuff was still in good shape - it hasn't been wrecked seriously, just a a cracked or gouged fender here or there that will be unbolted and replaced - engine runs well, which will get me through til I can build something... better.  :lol:  Interior is a bit ragged, but I want to do some different stuff in there as well.  It's loaded up with decent features, and the only thing in that not working right is the driver's side power lock, which I need to get an actuator for.  Unfortunately found out that the '99 3dr coupe has its own unique actuator.  :P

213720[/snapback]

Yep, somtimes taking em apart can be fun ...sounds like you have plans for it..

customs plans... :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by daves87rs