Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

need help

chevrod50

Starting simple, replace your radiator cap and then go from there since if its somewhat old it could be the problem if it isn't holding a good seal. Also what engine are we talking about thats in your truck? And how much coolant are you loosing in how many days just so we know what we are dealing with? I take it your not getting any puddles under the car since it says leaks/burns correct?

Edited by Buickfosure

Starting simple, replace your radiator cap and then go from there since if its somewhat old it could be the problem if it isn't holding a good seal.  Also what engine are we talking about thats in your truck?  And how much coolant are you loosing in how many days just so we know what we are dealing with? I take it your not getting any puddles under the car since it says leaks/burns correct?

229571[/snapback]

its an 03 z71 with a 5.3, and the cap has a good seal, i was looking in the oil though and it seemed to be a little thin , it was just changed about 200 miles ago, im wondering if there is a small intake gasket leak, if so would it show up it a pressure test even though its not causing any real buildup of coolant and oil

Maybe if you have it running stand behind it and just see if you smell any sweet antifreeze smell just for starts. But some very small radiator leaks are sometimes undetectable at first if its a fine leak but can you explain how much coolant you are loosing.

Edited by Buickfosure

Maybe if you have it running stand behind it and just see if you smell any sweet antifreeze smell just for starts.  But some very small radiator leaks are sometimes undetectable at first if its a fine leak but can you explain how much coolant you are loosing.

229590[/snapback]

the tailpipies are about 6 months old and have a lot of rust and buildup in them, i have to add coolant about every month. Im thinking its the intake gasket since there is no build up in the oil

if you want to know whether a not there is antifreeze in your oil, pull the dipstick right after running the engine and see if the oil is frothy. If it is, you likely have antifreeze in your oil. If so, you don't want to run it too long like that or you are going to have much bigger problems.

Edited by scharmer05

if you want to know whether a not there is antifreeze in your oil, pull the dipstick right after running the engine and see if the oil is frothy.  If it is, you likely have antifreeze in your oil.  If so, you don't want to run it too long like that or you are going to have much bigger problems.

230513[/snapback]

well i took the truck to the dealership and they said it was the waterpump, anyways they put a new one on, filled the resevoir and sent me on my way, well 4 days later, i checked the coolant and again its a little low, not a lot but a little. Is it normal to lose a little coolant or maybe there was air in the cooling system from when they did the work.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah for the first couple days there might still be some air in it and as they work out you will need to add some coolent but probably it will level off and you will not need to add anymore but just keep an eye on it just in case anyways.

Well I tried that and now it is back into the shop, one of the idiot mechanics finally pulled the valve cover off and it had the milkshake stuff in it, so its probably the head gasket like i told them to begin with, because the coolant doesnt run through the intake on those engines. Its just weird that a motor with 59k miles would have a blown head gasket. It probably has had a slow leak for about 6 months now, do you think the blown head gasket being blown for this long would cause any damage to the crank and rod bearings, it has already caused some to the lifters, they are replacing them as well.