First Look for Charity

So my wife went and surprised the heck out of me this year for Christmas and purchased 2 tickets to the First Look for Charity event the night before the Chicago Auto show officially opens to the public. Here I was thinking I was getting a Dewalt 18V drill and instead I receive, IMO, one of the best gifts EVER for a car nut like me. Its tradition that I attend this show every year and sit in a Corvette. But to hob nob with some of the high society in my tux and sip champagne while nibbling on the finger food is completely outrageous. I owe her big time for this!

Hey with some GM debuts at this show, maybe Wagoner and Lutz will be in town for me to meet! I'm so excited...Feb can't come soon enough now.

Wow, CV ... that's excellent news :). Congratulations! Sure hope you are able to take a camera with ya ;).

BTW, I _believe_ one of the benefactors for that is Children's Memorial Hospital ... where I've had all 3 of my open heart surgeries thus far.

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It's not the car I want" ... George Jones ... 'The Corvette Song'

Congrats, your wife is a wonderful and understanding woman!

My wife and I've been to three "First Looks" and it's a great experience. There's plenty of food to sample around all the exhibits and it's a little less crowded than a regular show day.

I believe that about 75 - 85% of the ticket price is tax deductable. There will be at least one (or two) cars raffeled off to attendees, so hang on to your ticket. Maybe you'll get to ride home in a new car.

My wife is not the car-nut that I am, so I'll probably wait a few more years before I suggest that we go again.

Have fun, take lots of pictures and take good care of your wife (she's one in a million)!

Kool, enjoy! :D

Congrats, your wife is a wonderful and understanding woman!

My wife and I've been to three "First Looks" and it's a great experience. There's plenty of food to sample around all the exhibits and it's a little less crowded than a regular show day.

I believe that about 75 - 85% of the ticket price is tax deductable. There will be at least one (or two) cars raffeled off to attendees, so hang on to your ticket. Maybe you'll get to ride home in a new car.

My wife is not the car-nut that I am, so I'll probably wait a few more years before I suggest that we go again.

Have fun, take lots of pictures and take good care of your wife (she's one in a million)!

There is a tax deduction that she mentioned, but I don't recall what percent...too mesmerized by the tickets in my hand. Your quoted percents sound familiar though. This year there are 3 cars they will raffle off. A GMC Acadia (my wife's favorite), a Hyundai Azera, and a Volkswagen GTI.

I hope I don't sound stupid here...I understand that a "black tie" event refers to tuxedo formal wear, however it was interesting to note in pictures from last year's event how many men literally wore black ties and not a color. Guess it does look less Prom date and more mature. It also appears most men wore simple tuxedos with NO vest, and the majority chose bowties vs. neckties. Did you find the same for the events you attended? I guess it comes down to personal preference, but I would like to feel like I belong there and not stick out too much. (Thinking about Dumb & Dumber right now!)

Knightfan: I believe you are correct. They are one of 19 different benfactors. I don't recall the actual amount my wife said went to charity, but it sure is worth the ticket price to know you are helping others as well.

*nods*

Absolutely :). Would be interesting to see what all charities benefit from this.... I think I've seen a list a year or so ago ... just don't remember any others offhand.

I am definitely going to take a camera with me.

Sweet! I expect a LOT of pics ;). [No pressure, of course ... he he he.]

"What I really need is an open road" ... Montgomery Gentry ... 'Speed'

It's been about 3 years since we went, but most men wear a Tux with a cumberbund (?) and bow tie. A few guys wear a dark suit and regular tie. My wife bought me a tux at JC Penney's the first year (about $100) and I've used it a lot. There will always be a few guys with a Tux and a vest, but go with whatever makes you feel good.

It's all about doing something special, having fun, contributing to a good cause and seeing lots of great cars.

Absolutely :). Would be interesting to see what all charities benefit from this.... I think I've seen a list a year or so ago ... just don't remember any others offhand.

Here is the list of charities that will benefit from the Chicago event in 2007:

Advocate Hope Children’s Hospital

American Lung Association of Metropolitan Chicago

Boys & Girls Clubs of Chicago

Campagna Academy

Cancer Health Alliance of Metropolitan Chicago

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Chicago

Catholic Charities, Diocese of Joliet

Children’s Memorial Hospital

Clearbrook

The Cradle Foundation

Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America

Cure Autism Now Foundation

Franciscan Sisters of Chicago Service Corporation

Ray Graham Association for People with Disabilities

Illinois Spina Bifida Association

Ronald McDonald House Charities

Misericordia Heart of Mercy

National Multiple Sclerosis Society

St. Colleta’s of Illinois Foundation

Here is the list of charities that will benefit from the Chicago event in 2007:

Advocate Hope Children’s Hospital

American Lung Association of Metropolitan Chicago

Boys & Girls Clubs of Chicago

Campagna Academy

Cancer Health Alliance of Metropolitan Chicago

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Chicago

Catholic Charities, Diocese of Joliet

Children’s Memorial Hospital

Clearbrook

The Cradle Foundation

Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America

Cure Autism Now Foundation

Franciscan Sisters of Chicago Service Corporation

Ray Graham Association for People with Disabilities

Illinois Spina Bifida Association

Ronald McDonald House Charities

Misericordia Heart of Mercy

National Multiple Sclerosis Society

St. Colleta’s of Illinois Foundation

*grins*

Thank you :).

I _thought_ Ronald McDonald House Charities would be on that list, too, but I wasn't sure. Spent a number of nights in the Ronald McDonald House near Children's Memorial Hospital as a kid when my checkups were at CMH. We used to make a night of it. We'd go into Chicago after Dad got home from work ... spend the night at the RM House and then head to CMH first thing in the morning ... and then stop for lunch on the way home. He heh. My does time fly.

"Nothing lasts forever" ... Simple Plan ... 'Perfect'