The Registry Rundown for January 2007

Variance

Posted Image

-Variance

January 1, 2007

Greetings and happy new year to all of the Cheers and Gears members! This is sure to be a fresh new year with fresh new cars and fresh new trademarks to be posted up for us to speculate on the future offerings of many automotive brands. And what better way is there to celebrate a new year than with a new Feature Article?

Welcome to C&G’s Registry Rundown, a new monthly Feature Article rife with information and speculation. Here, yours truly will be reporting on the goings on within the records of the United States Patent and Trademark Office, bringing you the newest trademark applications made by auto manufacturers. Newly filed applications, ones published for opposition, finalized/fully registered and killed trademarks will all be covered.

Here’s a quick explanation of each level of trademark registry, from the least to most likely to be seen used on a production product or concept car:

• Dead: This is the official USPTO term for a trademark that will not go through (or any further through) the registration process. Trademarks can die because an automaker gives up and/or just decides not to use it or because the trademark is opposed by another party. It is unlikely these will see use on any final product.

• Filed: These are applications that have just been filed with the USPTO and have otherwise not been published for opposition (the next step in the registry process). Most filed trademarks stay at this level and are sometimes made just so other companies cannot use them. What this means is just because an automaker has filed a trademark does not mean they will necessarily use it.

• Published for Opposition: This is the next step in the registry process in which the applicant makes the trademark available for other companies to object to or, oppose. There is a published of opposition date given (the date I’ll be providing). If no one opposes within 30 days or opposition of the trademark fails, the application goes to the final stage of the registration process. Publishing an application for opposition speaks well to an applicant’s intent of using the name or symbol.

• Registered: Applications/names here have been finalized and approved for a manufacturer to do with as they will. These are the trademarks you will most likely see publicly used.
Now with all that said, let’s see what new trademark developments have been occurring as of late.

Posted Image

Not much is happening on the strictly filed applications this time around. Toyota Motor is the only one with recent files.

Toyota newly filed the name “Venza” on December the 21st, 2006. Personally, I’m stumped as to what this could be. There are no Toyotas with that name currently sold in the world. The word “venza” means “win” in Spanish. So apparently if Toyota fully registers this name, it feels whatever vehicle they’re going to use it on is going to be a winner. Uh-huh.

Also from Toyota, “Triple Tech” was filed on December 7, 2006. The description reads: body frames for trucks. My guess is Toyota plans on using this in marketing the new Tundra. We’ll see.

Posted Image

The Germans are dominating the PO section this month. Well, the Germans and semi-Germans, anyway.

Daimler-Chrysler has quite a few. Strangest of all is “Hurricane” which will be published on January 16. Curious, as of course most know that “Hurricane” is the name of the Jeep concept that Chrysler Group claimed would not be seeing production because a business case could not be made for it. Might they be reconsidering? Maybe but I wouldn’t get any hopes up yet. Maybe if it sees the registered stage...

Sticking with the Chrysler Group, we have “Hemisfear” being pubbed on the 23rd of the month. It’s described only as an “automobile” trademark but I question whether a vehicle is going to be named this.

On the other side of DCX, Mercedes-Benz has published for the 16th of this month “GLK63” and “GLK65”. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to know that any new MB whose name ends in “63” is going to have an “AMG” following it. I assume “65” still stands for their twin turbo 6.0L V12 engine.

BMW published the name “7H” back in Dec. 19. You may or may not have known this is what BMW’s hydrogen-powered 7-Series is going to probably be badge as. If you didn’t, you do now.

Posted Image

There are two newly fully registered trademarks via GM and DCX. Both were registered on Dec. 19th, 2006.

First, from GM we have “Firebird”. Is Pontiac’s Camaro counterpart coming back?? Well, many people have expressed to low likelihood of a Firebird revival and it looks like they still have a point for now. As the USPTO describes it, the name has been registered for use with “automobile hoods, door panels for land vehicles, fitted covers for vehicles [and] vehicle seat covers.” There’s nothing that explicitly mentions an entire vehicle. Looks like fans of the flaming chicken are still SOL for the foreseeable future.

The other registry by way of DCX is the “AMC” name and logo. Could the American Motors Corporation be coming back? You bet they are...! In clothing form. Sorry, you raving Pacer fan, but the application only applies to “t-shirts” and nothing more. Dang, I was so looking forward to the return of the Gremlin.

Okay, I ended on two teases. Sorry. I promise not to jerk you around like that again...until the next installment. Thanks for reading and tune in next month for the next Registry Rundown.

Guest YellowJacket894

Sticking with the Chrysler Group, we have “Hemisfear” being pubbed on the 23rd of the month. It’s described only as an “automobile” trademark but I question whether a vehicle is going to be named this.

"Hemisfear" sounds like the name of a possible concept car. I like the name, too. Nice play on "hemisphere." Plus, space all the words out and you get "Hemi is fear." Cool name. I like it.

"Hemisfear" sounds like the name of a possible concept car. I like the name, too. Nice play on "hemisphere." Plus, space all the words out and you get "Hemi is fear." Cool name. I like it.

It could possibly also be used as part of an ad campaign. As in, "Another vehicle in the Dodge Hemisphear". But that would be silly.

Thanks for the complients guys. ^_^

About "Hemisfear", apparently Chip Foose last made a custom car which was unveiled at SEMA of the same name. I don't think it's related to whatever Chrysler plans to use it for. Maybe they just purchased the rights to the name from Foose? You can see Foose's Hemisfear here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/01/sema-fo...g-in-las-vegas/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Regarding the Toyota application for the name "Venza"....this is the name of a very soon to be introduced new model line. It is a Camry based minivan/wagon crossover vehicle similar to the Chrysler Pacifica. It will be offered in 4 and 6cyl variations with front and AWd options. I was given this information last week at a Toyota Regional Sales training session, so i know it is fact.

Not that anyone was overly concerned, but i found this posting trying to search for more info on this product. Apparently, they are keeping a tight lid on the project as i have found very little info about it by searching the web.