Yay! I got a code!

After trying to figure the light out for a while, I think I might have figured it out...

Turns out-it looks to be idle air control valve.

Though this gives me a few questions to ask..

Could this be the major cause of my shaking at idle? (and my all-over mpgs?)

I was told this part lasted a bit too long..true? (140k)

I need to know a little more about this little guy...as I thought I knew what I was doing... :pokeowned:

While replacing this, I was planning on replacing the fuel filter and Pcv valve too...

Any suggestions?

(expect for setting it on fire and rolling it down a hill.. :scratchchin: )

hmm... rolling it out of a C 130 at 40,000 feet sound good?

but get a Fram fuel filter an PCV valve those are pretty cheap and straight up. just where glasss when doing the filter becasue when you take the line off gas comes shooting out at you.

Hmm...that idle control valve issue sounds very familiar...The BMW guys with the pre-99 540's have idle control valves which sometimes get dirty and clogged. This severely acts upon the performance of the car causing it to have a rough idle and just plain not run great. A simple cleaning usually does the trick and everything runs great again.

Your problem sounds similar, so I'm sure replacing or cleaning or fixing (or whatever is involved) regarding the idle control valve on your car should do the trick.

hmm... rolling it out of a C 130 at 40,000 feet sound good?

but get a Fram fuel filter an PCV valve those are pretty cheap and straight up. just where glasss when doing the filter becasue when you take the line off gas comes shooting out at you.

Dropping it out of a c130 would be quite cool to watch... :thumbsup:

I'm thinking about having some help, or the fuel filter might just knock my glasses off...

Any other ideas on an old 3.1?

I figure after fixing these, all I have to do is get a few new hoses...many michigan winters have made a mess out of the current

ones...I'm pretty sure my bit of coolant sneaking out is coming from the front hose....

Hmm...that idle control valve issue sounds very familiar...The BMW guys with the pre-99 540's have idle control valves which sometimes get dirty and clogged. This severely acts upon the performance of the car causing it to have a rough idle and just plain not run great. A simple cleaning usually does the trick and everything runs great again.

Your problem sounds similar, so I'm sure replacing or cleaning or fixing (or whatever is involved) regarding the idle control valve on your car should do the trick.

That's my hope, as I've already replaced a few things...

This could explain a lot of issues with the car...

The Idle Air Control Valve is located on the throttle body of the 3.1L engine. It helps draw in a little extra air around the throttle plate at idle, and at times when the AC compressor is engaged, and when other things are working, like the alternator charging, etc. The only problem with them is that the EGR valve will normally empty out just ahead of the IAC passageway, this causes carbon deposits to build up in the valve, making it stick open, or closed, depending on how the little chunk of carbon lodged in there. If the carbon deposit sits there long enough, it can cause the little electric motor that actually moves the IAC to burn out, which would require replacement of the valve. To test an IAC valve, you should be able to remove it from the throttle body, stuff the hole as best you can (usually a rag works pretty well), and crank the vehicle. Once cranked, flip the AC on or something like that (better to have an assistant to do this) and watch and see if the IAC will move. If it will, kill the engine and just shoot out the passageway with carb cleaner, if it won't, then you're looking at IAC replacement. If you can, tell me what year your Cavalier is (cause I can't remember correctly) I can look up the price for you from CarQuest, or just jump on AutoZone.com or AdvanceAutoParts.com and check the price. That's about all the help I can provide.

The Idle Air Control Valve is located on the throttle body of the 3.1L engine. It helps draw in a little extra air around the throttle plate at idle, and at times when the AC compressor is engaged, and when other things are working, like the alternator charging, etc. The only problem with them is that the EGR valve will normally empty out just ahead of the IAC passageway, this causes carbon deposits to build up in the valve, making it stick open, or closed, depending on how the little chunk of carbon lodged in there. If the carbon deposit sits there long enough, it can cause the little electric motor that actually moves the IAC to burn out, which would require replacement of the valve. To test an IAC valve, you should be able to remove it from the throttle body, stuff the hole as best you can (usually a rag works pretty well), and crank the vehicle. Once cranked, flip the AC on or something like that (better to have an assistant to do this) and watch and see if the IAC will move. If it will, kill the engine and just shoot out the passageway with carb cleaner, if it won't, then you're looking at IAC replacement. If you can, tell me what year your Cavalier is (cause I can't remember correctly) I can look up the price for you from CarQuest, or just jump on AutoZone.com or AdvanceAutoParts.com and check the price. That's about all the help I can provide.

On the throtte body? Hmm...

That sounds like an idea-I'n think i'm going to give that a try.... :thumbsup:

I was thinking that there was a good chance it was the IAC after I replaced the MAP sensor.....and the EGR was cleaned out....