GM needs only 2 big SUV plants

Northstar

GM needs only 2 big SUV plants
Automaker plans to shift production to full-sized pickups

By Jason Stein
Automotive News / September 26, 2005

DETROIT - In the face of high gasoline prices, General Motors is counting on improved truck sales to offset modest expectations for its large SUVs.

GM plans to build the next generation of its full-sized SUVs in two assembly plants, rather than the current three.

But the automaker expects total full-sized truck capacity to stay about the same. GM will allocate more capacity to its full-sized pickups, chiefly the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

GM built about 1.7 million full-sized trucks and SUVs in North America last year.

GM has built the current generation of full-sized SUVs in three plants: Janesville, Wis.; Arlington, Texas; and Silao, Mexico. But if the segment mix holds at its current level, Silao will primarily build the Silverado and Sierra.

Next month, the automaker will shift most of its Silao production from SUVs to full-sized pickups. When asked whether Silao would switch back to SUV production when GM's new full-sized SUVs debut next year, Robert Lutz, GM's vice chairman of global product development, replied: "I think we're properly balanced right now."

Speaking at a press event last week, Lutz said that "as near as we can tell, two plants are fine" for full-sized SUVs.

But the plant will be flexible enough to build some SUVs there if needed, GM says.

More: http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=54671

Silao will primarily build the Silverado and Sierra

Get ready for the massive "My Toyota/Nissan is built in America and your Silverado/Sierra is not" campaign from the media to win over loyal American truck buyers.

It's already started with the Colorado. "Misplaced Patriotism" they're calling it. (Which I didn't think was built in Mexico, but rather Louisiana)

But according to Jamie Kittman it is built in Mexico. ( I know, he/she's [whatever the hell it is] is dumb and wrong---but the average American consumer doesn't know that and will believe what they're told.)

Get ready for the massive "My Toyota/Nissan is built in America and your Silverado/Sierra is not" campaign from the media to win over loyal American truck buyers.

It's already started with the Colorado. "Misplaced Patriotism" they're calling it. (Which I didn't think was built in Mexico, but rather Louisiana)

But according to Jamie Kittman it is built in Mexico. ( I know, he/she's [whatever the hell it is] is dumb and wrong---but the average American consumer doesn't know that and will believe what they're told.)

[post="20163"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You're right-it is from Louisiana..

The only Chevys that are not built here in the US (or Canada) would
be the HHR, Aveo, and a few large Suvs (yukon)