Future of Pontiac

Some items may been discussed other posts...however...

1. Ponitac going ALL RWD? I saw this in Motor Trend awhile ago--but they are one of the wrost magazines for accurately predicting anything.

2. Solstice coupe...whare does that stand?

3. 4 door Kappa?

4. Why did the G5 coupe NOT get the 2.0 S/C engine?

5. Does Gm want to turn Pontiac into a lower volume, higher profit line of cars?

Edited by avro206

In today's Automotive News, there is a story that the new MPG laws [34MPG CAFE] have stopped the "all RWD line up" plans.

I can only see the headline and teaser. Anyone read the whole article?

Reality is that gas prices and current political climate will not more 'high performance' cars.

In today's Automotive News, there is a story that the new MPG laws [34MPG CAFE] have stopped the "all RWD line up" plans.

What "all RWD lineup"? I don't recall reading that anywhere. I recall Lutz saying something quite contrary to this. To the best of my knowledge, the "all RWD lineup" was a fanboy's fantasy.

In the scheme of the turnaround, Pontiac has been lower on the priority list than other GM brands such as Cadillac, Chevy, Saturn, and even Buick. As such, the new products they have gotten lately have been more of an afterthought (G5-rebadge, G8-rebadge). So, essentially, outside of some definite stuff, nobody knows what will happen in the next 5 years for Pontiac. What I mean is, even if they do "know" something, it will likely change as the turnaround progresses and Pontiac gets more attention and more "original" program vehicles.

As for turning Pontiac into a lower volume, higher profit line of cars, they'll do that if they're smart. An interesting question I had posed to me once was, should Pontiac be an everyman's BMW or an everyman's Porsche?

GM knows where they are going with Pontiac but as with anything else it is subject to change due to shifitng markets. As for the RWD plan It could be true it could be false but GM will not be telling till they are ready. If one other division was going RWD other than Caddy the PBG dealer would be a great place to start.

As for low volume higher price is they way Buick and Pontiac are going to go. It makes them a little more special than a Chevy or Saturn.

Think of PBG as a mid premuim car dealer and competing against cars like Acura, Lexus, Low end Audi, Low end BMW etc.

The idea is 3 name equals one dealer lets them do more niche cars and give buyers that I have something that not everyone else has felling. What it does for GM is gives them a more premium car wherr they can make more profit per unit. Its great to sell 500,000 cars but if your not making anything on them what is the good.

I get the feeling we will all be please with the cars that replace the G6 and G5 as they are not part of the future plan. The G6 was well under way by the time Lutz got here amd the G5 filled a hole in the dealers lots for a cheap car. We did not see the G5 get the Supercharged motor since we should see a 260 Turbo in the Cobalt and I would guess it will find its way into the G5 as a GXP.

The G8 is only the first step as the Aura was at Saturn we will see a lot more quality moves soon for both Pontiac and Buick.

Oh as for the Solstice coupe I still hear it is the works but I have never seen a time table. I am sure as time goes on it will make a timely appearance when needed to spark sales.

Lets face it if they can make Saturn cool the same folks can do the same for Buick and Pontiac.