Car selection

Ok so im in the market to get a new car.... mainly because I am now doing website work for a used dealership and I can get a car from them for auction price.

My selections are a VW R32, and Audi A4 3.0 Quattro 2003, and Subaru STI and a Pontiac GTO 2004. All are fairly comparable in gas mileage and options and the like, but this will be my daily driver and I need to figure out which will be better expense-wise (cost of parts, gas, bang for the buck, utility and versitility. Heres a link to the last site i used to compare them on kelleys.... but if anyone owns them or has an opinion feel free to share.

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/CompareNewCars/SBSC...amp;ModelId=251

P.S. and if anyone is in the PA area and looking for a car im sure i can swing them a deal on whatever they are looking for.

Edited by BatmanVW

For me...

R32 - practical, well-rounded, pricey to buy and maintain

A4 - classy, but rather get a 330i

STI - ugly, noisy, nerdy, miserable, will be vandalized

GTO - great car, inconspicuous, great value, hopeless in snow

I'd get the GTO because snow and trunk space aren't a concern for me. If I lived in NY and needed a large trunk, I'd get the R32.

GTO - great car, inconspicuous, great value, hopeless in snow

That's bull$h!.

I've seen plenty of GTOs here in New Enagland driving over packed snow.

I'd love to have a Holden GTO for a winter car! :D

Actually my choice would be the STI but then I am a masochist (sp?). Given your four cars, for everyday driving I think the GTO is a better choice.

Blizzacks (Spelling again anyone?) or a good winter tire should allow you to drive the GTO in snow. I've driven my RWD Cutlass through amazing blizzards with decent snow tires, a GTO shouldn't be that much different.

Actually if it were my money I would buy a GTI VW. Much simpler than the R32, best interior materials of the lot, likes to turn better than any of the 4 cars you listed, and much less bland than the A4.

Just my two cents.

Chris

Well, the GTO will be a fun car, but you'll be limited by its small trunk and coupe bodystyle. The STi will also be a fun car, but it may be too over the top. If it was just a regular WRX, it would definitely be my choice. The A4 is a great car but most likely won't be as fun as the others. The R32 isn't much to look at, but it's probably the most practical and will also be fun. But then there's VW's reliability...

If it were up to me, I'd probably have to go with the GTO out of those.

Edited by blackviper8891

VW Rabbit-GTI is now made in Germany rather than Brazil. I would be willing to bet that will help reliability.

And ditto on the A4 not being as fun. It is sort of a German version of the Ford Thunderbird.

Chris

Actually my choice would be the STI but then I am a masochist (sp?). Given your four cars, for everyday driving I think the GTO is a better choice.

Blizzacks (Spelling again anyone?) or a good winter tire should allow you to drive the GTO in snow. I've driven my RWD Cutlass through amazing blizzards with decent snow tires, a GTO shouldn't be that much different.

Actually if it were my money I would buy a GTI VW. Much simpler than the R32, best interior materials of the lot, likes to turn better than any of the 4 cars you listed, and much less bland than the A4.

Just my two cents.

Chris

Agreed. It seems to be the most well-rounded. It's comfortable, safe, practical, sporty, economical, classy, well-priced...