Astro problems!!!!

Did the Astro and Safari vans have a lot of issues with build quality. I was at work at Canadian Tire and in 4 hours, 3 people called to ask if we carried a replacement mirror for an Astro. First one I thought was a coincidence, then the second one was on the phone and it started to get me wondering. I had about 2 cases of that last Tuesday I worked. I asked everybody if they had already been in or sent somebody in looking for that but they said no. This is kind of odd because that was just 5 cases in 2 weeks or technically 2 work days. But we didn't carry them so I told everybody to go to the dealer for the new mirror. Has anyone else heard of this happening? The driver's side mirror falling off or glass falling out?

These are very wide vehicles and getting a mirror clipped while parked on the side of the street would not be unusual. I think the build quality on these vans was a bit spotty. The 4.3 engine was a bit thirsty, but fairly reliable. Of all the models I have sold, I must say that Astro/Safari fans are the most loyal. I know of people that have owned 2 or 3 over the years. Some people loved their van and had no problems; others proved troublesome. As these vehicles pass into antiquity, they are being passed down to second and third owners. Think of who needs to seat 8 people AND can only afford to buy an older used vehicle. That person won't have a lot of cash so they will call around looking for replacements parts.

Our 97 GMC Safari (same thing) had had both mirrors fall off. The idler arms will go on them, small stuff like power windows will go, but what other vehicle on the road had been marketed for 21 years virtually unchanged?

300k is not far from the mark, i have seen a bunch of them do that. My mechanic had one that went to about 350k w/o problems. The guy who does my body work has a customer who ordered one with everything back in 91 and is still driving it at about 240k now.

Plus they tow really well...and when you have a teenage son with tall friends...

Not a bad vehicle.

Chris

Yes, sadly, it is a common thing.

Very Common for those 95 up.

My mom has a 99, about 4 years back one fell off during an auto car wash.....

GM never made the mirrors right for those cars...too wide, too heavy...

It's hard to keep mirrors on a box... :AH-HA_wink:

If you take care of them though-they will run forever...