'01-'02 Chevrolet Impala LS Reliability/Info Please

Guest YellowJacket894

We had an '04 Impala that suffered from a nasty speedometer glitch. And the transmission tended to "buck" a lot when taking off. Other than that, it was decent transportation. I'm not a big fan of the exterior or interior styling. I can say that it handled very, very well and the 3400 our car came with had a nice growl when accelerating.

Well, I have a 2002 Impala Base, so it has the 3.4 instead of the 3.8. Its a great highway car, which is what I use it for mainly. I have almost 108K on it, and just replaced the head gasket. You most likely will run into that issue on the 3.8 as well somewhere down the road. They guy who owned it before me had the CPU replaced at about 50K, and other than that I haven't had to do anything besides oil changes and new tires at 65K. They interior is relatively well put together, with only a few issues with rattles. My transmission bucks a little between 1st and 2nd, but it was rear ended a couple of years ago , while parked, and that is when I started noticing the buck, so I would say the buck is a result of the accident. The 3.4 lacks a little though, so going with the LS would definately be the way to go. My sister has a 04 Grand Prix with the 3.8/4 speed and it runs great. Definately stick with an 01 and up though. In the 00s, they had an issue with the aluminum engine cradle cracking because it wasn't welded correctly. They fixed that for 01. If I remember correctly they made a couple of impovements to the heating and cooling system for 02, but that was about it. I really do like my Impala, I say go for it. There isn't an engine much more bulletproof than the 3.8.

Even though I have very little respect for FWD anything these Impalas/MCs are

built like tanks and do well in terms of safety, reliability, durrability & longevity.

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 9C1, 130,000 miles, only problem I've had was both front ABS wheel speed sensors went bad (not really a HUGE issue, more of a nuisance since the ABS light comes on, the car drives and stops fine, just the ABS system is deactivated). I've kept the oil changed, tires rotated and balanced, transmission filter was changed at 80,000 miles, tune up performed at 103,000 miles, coolant flushed and filled at 115,000 miles (it was 4 years old, had never had it done, figured might as well), has had one set of brakes all the way around. Its a reliable, sometimes, even a little bit fun, form of transportation to and from work. I haven't had a problem occur with the car that I couldn't fix, or even trace down withour more than a good service manual and some common sense.

Tonnes of problems. Its interior is not nice, we tested it on the base package. People think it is a Grandpa Car. Although it is a good car, it is not as good as what is offered by the imports. Imports have set the benchmark here, which is going to be tough to beat by domestics. GM is going bankrupt go for Toy Crapry.

KIDDING!!!

I think it is a good buy. My firm has a 01 and it has been driven like a dog. The only thing I remembered being changed are the tires. Make sure you do not grab a rental one.

One of my co-workers has a 02 base with the 3.4.

163,000 miles and still running well. Short of the regular stuff (oil changes and such), the only things he has replaced are the fuel pump and the MAP sensor (I think)

He loves that car....

I agree with SM on avoiding te rental ones...