Parts and Prices...

OK, Just a bit confused here.. I'm looking to get a Map sensor for my beater car...(93 Cavy, 3.1) I priced one at Napa Auto parts....90 bucks... One at Murray's Auto Parts.....30 bucks... Why the feaking huge price difference? :huh: I know I should buy the Napa one (better made, I think)...but this car is just a beater with well over 100k miles on it. I'll be happy if I can get another 15-30k miles on it. :) (that, and it is started to rust pretty good) How long to you think that 30 buck part would last? I take good care of my cars, and I am pretty easy on my beater (grandpa-like driving) What do you guys think?

I'd go with the cheap one.  If you only intend to keep the car another 30k miles and you have to replace the cheap one every 15k, you're still only spending $60 instead of $90.

[post="23927"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I could replace three for the same price! :lol:

Good point though...

I don't work too far away..so I don't put a a lot miles on it....

I'll be lucky if I can put 10k a year on it...

One other thing to consider, how hard is it to replace?  If the good one is going to last and it is a huge pain in the ass to replace, by all means spend the extra money to keep yourself from having to replace it again.

[post="23936"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm looking into that...gotta get a new repair book.. :(

• 3 months later...

Anybody else?

Do you notice this kind of difference in price in your area?

[post="24650"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah I had this kind of problem with an old '89 Suburban that I had.
When the original OEM part quit, I was appalled at the replacement part price,
so I went with the after-market cheapy. It didn't last 2 weeks, and the
check engine light was back on!
Went thru 3 of these, at my expense, 'cause electrical parts have a warranty
that barely gets you out the door.
Then I went to NAPA. Their part was $80.00, but it was a Bosch-made OER!!!
Put that one in, and never had another problem.

There is a reason why the good stuff costs more. It is called reliability! :o

• 1 month later...
All right working in the parts business, 3-years at AutoZone, and now a little over 6 months are CarQuest, I can say that there is a HUGE difference in the parts. NAPA and CarQuest both use basically the same suppliers, and those suppliers are the people that normally manufacture the parts for the dealers as OEM parts, that's where the price comes in. Now don't get me wrong, a Wells manufactured part (normally a "value" priced part) CAN last as long as the Standard Electric part, but I'd put my money in the Standard simply because that's what 90% of your OEM parts really are.