Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Strange things I've seen the past 2 days

Yesterday on my way back from a delivery traffic was slowing down, and moving into the other lane...it was to avoid a guy on a bicycle...but not just any bicycle. This guy was riding 8 feet or so in the air. I got a look at it as I was driving by. Apparently he welded 2 bike frames together, one on top of the other, and then mounted the seat on a 2-3 foot pipe. How he maintained his balance is beyond me.

Today as I was delivering to a store in a strip mall, i noticed a gold mid 90's Cavalier parked awkwardly in the Bank of America parking lot. It had a flat and there was no one in it. I thought it was odd how it was parked, but figured the owner had gone to get a help from the Shell station or something. a few hours later I drove by the plaza and noticed the car was still there, and a person was next to it with a couple bags on the ground. It still had a flat. A couple hours later I went by again, out of curiosity, and the car was still there, still with a flat, and in the same position. I started to wonder if the car had been abandoned. Stuff like that doesn't happen around here much, especially in a crowded plaza, but who knows. I just got off work about a half hour ago, and I decided to go check again...I thought I had seen a sign on the driver's window...I planned to get out and have a look if it was still there. Sure enough, it was. I parked to the left of the car in the next free space and got out, to discover a person was inside the car! Whoever it was had there elbow on the door panel and hand on their had. I was really surprised...and felt awkward to say the least. I walked next door to grab an ice cream cone from McDonald's to make it look somewhat less conspicuous(?). The I left. Thinking about it now, I remember seeing bags in the back of the car...perhaps cans. I can only think that this poor person is literally poor, and teh car is all they have...if they lack the money to fix the flat they're screwed, and they probably know it.

I feel bad about it, and want to help, but I'm not sure if any of the wheels and tires we have are the right size for a Cavalier...let alone if the tires on them are any good. I don't have the money to go buying a tire for this person, plus every place is closed now that sells tires....what to do?

There's like an '89 blue Sedan DeVille in ratty condition, loaded down on its rear springs, its back seat packed full of stuff that should be in a house (clothes, mail, etc.) always parked in front of Borders Books (I've seen it only a few times elsewhere in parking lots). It's true, ppl still live in cars. I keep wanting to ask the cute guy in Borders if he has a homeless coworker, but that would be rude.

Strange things you've seen in the past two days? Are you kidding me? It was Pride weekend up here. I live in downtown Toronto. You don't wanna know the strange things I've seen in the past two days! From Queen Elizabeth to Rue Paul does Divine. My stomach is still hurting from laughing.

Oh, I did see a phat '63 Chevy convertible that was nearly rubbing the ground. I got pics. Maybe I'll figure out how to post on this thing yet!

A Dodge Shadow wheel mounts right up. I've seen it many a time. :lol:

Good on you for wanting to help. Hopefully there's a way.

Well, if that car is still there maybe I will swing by with one of the old Shadow wheels...the tires are junk but they still hold air at least.

Yesterday on my way back from a delivery traffic was slowing down, and moving into the other lane...it was to avoid a guy on a bicycle...but not just any bicycle. This guy was riding 8 feet or so in the air. I got a look at it as I was driving by. Apparently he welded 2 bike frames together, one on top of the other, and then mounted the seat on a 2-3 foot pipe. How he maintained his balance is beyond me.

Today as I was delivering to a store in a strip mall, i noticed a gold mid 90's Cavalier parked awkwardly in the Bank of America parking lot. It had a flat and there was no one in it. I thought it was odd how it was parked, but figured the owner had gone to get a help from the Shell station or something. a few hours later I drove by the plaza and noticed the car was still there, and a person was next to it with a couple bags on the ground. It still had a flat. A couple hours later I went by again, out of curiosity, and the car was still there, still with a flat, and in the same position. I started to wonder if the car had been abandoned. Stuff like that doesn't happen around here much, especially in a crowded plaza, but who knows. I just got off work about a half hour ago, and I decided to go check again...I thought I had seen a sign on the driver's window...I planned to get out and have a look if it was still there. Sure enough, it was. I parked to the left of the car in the next free space and got out, to discover a person was inside the car! Whoever it was had there elbow on the door panel and hand on their had. I was really surprised...and felt awkward to say the least. I walked next door to grab an ice cream cone from McDonald's to make it look somewhat less conspicuous(?). The I left. Thinking about it now, I remember seeing bags in the back of the car...perhaps cans. I can only think that this poor person is literally poor, and teh car is all they have...if they lack the money to fix the flat they're screwed, and they probably know it.

I feel bad about it, and want to help, but I'm not sure if any of the wheels and tires we have are the right size for a Cavalier...let alone if the tires on them are any good. I don't have the money to go buying a tire for this person, plus every place is closed now that sells tires....what to do?

Did it have purple Delaware plates, if it did that was me! :smilewide:

I always thought that God might test me someday by pretending to be poor and be looking for a handout, so even if I have very little time, I normally give something because I don't want to fail the test. Yeah I'm an easy touch, so if you see me beg for money! :P

I saw none other than a London taxi cab driving down the 2nd Avenue in downtown Des Moines. We were eating lunch at the High Life Lounge (70s retro style place) when my co-worker who is also a car fan said "what the hell is that?" and pointed to a black vehicle driving by. It was really odd...I never have seen one of those in person before, and yet here it just happens to drive down the street as I'm eating lunch outside.

Posted Image