2008 Buick Lucerne CXL - Autoweek

Flybrian

Oh noooo11!!1!!! I was teh off by 800 units.

There have been more than a few months where Lucerne outsold Avalon.... it is certainly not the dog you were trying to imply.

Where was I implying it's a "dog" or so you put it?

I was making a point that the Lucerne is supposed to be considered a "premium" vehicle to compete with the likes of the Lexus ES350 when, in fact, it sorely lacks the (V6) powertrain to do so.

Whereas, on the other hand, GM seems to have equipped the new Enclave perfectly to go after it's "premium" competition.....the RX350.

Even the "competitors" you mentioned in your comment about Lucerne sales.....aren't even premium brands.....(Chrysler, Toyota).....yet even to you, they were the ones that came to mind when you wanted to compare Lucerne sales.

Perhaps a better comparison would be the ES350 (36,997 retail) to Lucerne (34,012 retail.)

Edited by The O.C.

Where was I implying it's a "dog" or so you put it?

I was making a point that the Lucerne is supposed to be considered a "premium" vehicle to compete with the likes of the Lexus ES350 when, in fact, it sorely lacks the (V6) powertrain to do so.

Whereas, on the other hand, GM seems to have equipped the new Enclave perfectly to go after it's "premium" competition.....the RX350.

Even the "competitors" you mentioned in your comment about Lucerne sales.....aren't even premium brands.....(Chrysler, Toyota).....yet even to you, they were the ones that came to mind when you wanted to compare Lucerne sales.

Perhaps a better comparison would be the ES350 (36,997 retail) to Lucerne (34,012 retail.)

ok.... so the Buick is right in line with even the top of the line competition in terms of sales....

My point is that while I think the 3.6 should be in there as the base engine..... 3800 doesn't seem to be hurting sales.

Guys, I had an STS and those numbers are not that far off. Struts are in the $700 range each for the variable suspension, look it up. Mine was burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles steadily. That's considered normal. When I traded it in it was up to a quart every 400 miles. The Northstar also has a problem with the half case seal leaking, it's a huge expense - most just live with it if it's not leaking too badly. And there's the infamous head gasket problem, go to any Cadillac forum and the number of Northstar owners blowing head gaskets is very troubling. The engine has to come out and you're talking about a $3000 job.

Yes if you can get one new and maintain it religiously, or buy one that has complete maintenance records you MIGHT be ok.

Now I've driven a 2006 Lucerne CXL V6 on an extended rental in the maritimes, and It was a good car, I wasn't familiar with it at the time, but when I mashed my foot too the floor on the highway on the way away from the airport, I concluded that it either had a supercharged 3800 or a N* but I looked under the hood, I saw the basic 3800, and was summarily shocked. I personally like the 3800 and given the choice, I'd take a 3800 Lucerne over a N* Lucerne based on economy alone.