Car insurance mystery..

Over the weekend, I logged into my State Farm account to pay my homeowners insurance...I saw the listing of my policies--my home owners insurance, 4 car policies..then I realized one of the car policies was for a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe...which I don't own. Clicked on the details, and it's a policy for a guy in another town 50 miles away with the same first and last name, different middle initial. What a screwup. Called up my agent this morning, they were unaware of it but said they'd fix it..

I spent almost the last 5 years building insurance claims and policy software, so I'm amazed at how something like this could happen (if State Farm's data model is anything like what I worked with, people should not be linked to policies by name but by a unique identifier).

That's pretty crazy..were you paying his policy too?

I actually know of a scam around here where they were trying to bill people with the same name with another car...A few people didn't even know it (didn't raise the insurance very much).

Depends on the Company too...I know LA Insurance can barely spell the names right... :rolleyes:

That's pretty crazy..were you paying his policy too?

I actually know of a scam around here where they were trying to bill people with the same name with another car...A few people didn't even know it (didn't raise the insurance very much).

Depends on the Company too...I know LA Insurance can barely spell the names right... :rolleyes:

Nope, I haven't received his premiums...he's probably unaware of it also. Maybe I should change my first name to one of my middle names...my first name+last name is just too common.

The insurance biz is an interesting animal... I worked for almost 5 years in a software company that built policy and claims management systems, primarily for state worker's compensation funds (which are primarily monopolies) and a little bit in the auto insurance space. It's a strange, complex business domain with mucho regulations and rules...