Rude awakenings

As I've shared previously in different threads, I was startled awake on the morning of July 26. My alarm went off as usual at 6am, but 2 minutes later ... BOOOOOOMMMMMM ... SNAP/CRACKLE ... HISSSSSSS.

Then, dead silence.

I sat bolt upright in bed ... realizing everything electric (or so I thought) was off. I scampered out of my room headed up the steps, instinctively turning on the stairway light .... and, wowa, ... light. So, I turned back into my room ... and flipped some of the circuit breakers and the entire house had power again.

Next door neighbor heard it, too. We believe it was a lightning strike. My VCR is no more [replaced with one an Uncle gave me], my stereo receiver is toast [replaced by a new one I have since purchased], and a heated blanket and a heated mattress cover will need to be replaced before winter sets in. Ironically, the stereo receiver and VCR were plugged into 2 different surge protectors, both of which "saved" other electronics (including a TV). I have since purchased a few new surge protectors as well.

My computer, which was on at the time, is fine ... no damage done. My alarm clock AM/FM radio, which, obviously, was also on ... and NOT plugged into a surge protector ... is also fine. Go figure.

So ... what kind of "rude awakenings" have you had?

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Come along and share the good times while we can" ... Lynn Anderson ... 'Rose Garden'

Some of you may remember the retard who managed to plow

his Acura DIRECTLY, dead on center into a telephone pole

right in front of my house in the January? 2005. The road there

is straight as an ARROW for a mile in both directions.

The power of FWD. :)

Good to hear you're okay KF.

Strange Knightfan, I wonder if you guys got hit by the same storm that hit us a day earlier. I was awoken abruptly at about 5 AM. I heard a loud "BOOOOOM" and felt the apartment rattle, and since I live about a mile away from huge industrial chemical tanks I thought there had been an explosion. I sat up and kinda peeked out my window and noticed it was a hazy brown outside with low visibility (no rain either). I laid back in bed expecting to hear police sirens but then fell back asleep.

Later I woke up and checked the news, but found out that some big storms had passed through so it was probably just lightning striking the apartment. It was pretty unsettling at the time however...living near a heavy industrial area isn't exactly comforting.

My other rude awakening was about 12 years ago in the middle of the night. My mom burst into my room and then to my sister's room to get us out of bed. The tornado sirens had been going off and the radio said there were funnel clouds headed our way. We scrambled to get flashlights and blankets and had to sit down in the basement for an hour. You could hear the wind and hail tearing up the trees outside. Luckily the funnel never touched down but the winds reached 80 mph gusts at times and toppled a lot of 100+ year old trees around town.

Edited by mustang84

Ahhh...I remember that! My uncle lived in Northridge at the time ... luckily, he escaped with only some minor injuries.

And, thanks, Sixty 8 :).

Mustang ... we might have been hit by the same storm ... ya never know.....

"Keep this feelin' alive" ... Eric Carmen ... 'Make Me Lose Control'

Where should I start? Mom yelling up the stairs because she wants something. Thunder at about 4 in the morning. Police sirens. Worst though was the morning Dad was so sick and Mom needed me to help him and get him to the hospital 3 days before he died.

Funny you mention that...

That was possibly the rudest awakening I have ever had...but not because of the earthquake...I was sleeping right through it (as was my sister...a freaking armoire even fell across her legs and it didn't even stir her...she was ok from that btw)...the thing that made it horrible was my mom running into my room screaming. Possibly the scariest awakening I have ever had.

...my mom running into my room screaming. Possibly the scariest awakening I have ever had.

Heh ... my sis did that to my parents some years ago. She had had a bad dream ... and, instead of staying in her room, she burst out of it ... raced up the steps ... and burst screaming into our parents' room ... at about 2:30a.....

"Tell me tomorrow will be brighter" ... KT Oslin ... 'Hold Me'