Instead of the Vibe

I don't really know where to put this but it occurs to me that the Vibe, while cheap, doesn't really fit w/ Pontiac as a whole. Nor does it lead its class in any area. Instead of GM using the next Vibe at the NUMMI plant they should have chosen to utilize a different Toyota base car for its GM counterpart. I thought about what Toyota offers that GM doesn't and while there isn't much I think GM should use the Scion Tc for a base for the next Pontiac G5.

The reason the G5 was made is that dealers were complaining that they didn't have a compact car to replace the Sunfire. While the Scion Tc is considered a good competitor in its class the G5 isn't even considered by many. Perhaps by GM utilizing Toyota's winning formula w/ the Tc instead of the also ran formula of the Matrix Pontiac's compact could gain some respect in the category.

This vehicle could replace the current G5 immediately and possibly stick around until after the RWD Alpha compact car arrives as a lower model.

Upon thinking further I may have read this idea elsewhere so I can't take the entire credit/blame, whichever you think it is.

Some pics:

The rear doesn't need any changes as it already resembles the G6/G5 rear tails.

Posted Image

Hack job grill insertion

Posted Image

Put a really powerful engine in it and call it the Pontiac VIBErator :rotflmao:

Seriously, I think the G5 will live until (a) Alpha Pontiac arrives or (b) the PCS Tick-Tock prophecy happens.

Edited by ZL-1

what's so great about the tC? I don't think 'yota would share it anyway, it would detract from the exclusive-ness of the Scion brand to have a copycat elsewhere. I think the current G5 is an ok stopgap product, only change they really SHOULD make is a unique front facia instead of the pontiac grill insert crap. Then follow it up with a much more differentiated next gen.

The Vibe is based off the same torsion beam rear suspension platform that underpins the Toyota Corolla and Matrix. The Scion tC is based off a different independent rear suspension platform that underpins the Toyota Avensis in Europe and I believe some other products in Japan. I am not sure if it would be cost efficient for Toyota/GM to manufacture cars with different platforms at this factory (It might very well be possible, I don't know for sure). It would be nice to see the next generation Corolla/Matrix (or Blade?) and Vibe get an independent rear suspension, but I don't think it's going to happen.

As far as Pontiac selling a version of the tC; I agree with PurdueGuy. I seriously doubt that Scion/Toyota would let Pontiac sell a nearly identical product that would diminish the exclusivity or cool factor of a Scion product. Scion customers are "supposed" to be younger, individualistic people who would not be caught dead driving a car from a make that their parents would own, be it Toyota, Chevy, Pontiac, etc. (Or so all the publicity hype would like us to believe; I've seen some elderly citizens driving Scion xB's).

As far as the Vibe; I think it's a cool product, but not for Pontiac. I think it should go to Chevrolet as a contemporary looking alternative compact 5-door hatchback model to the HHR. I think the G5 should go away; it represents GM's dark past where badge engineered monstronsities ran rapid through every brand. Placing an ill-fitting Pontiac grille and Chevrolet Cobalt sedan tail lamps on a Cobalt coupe and passing it off as a Pontiac clearly defines why Pontiac has an identity crisis today. I would like to see GM cut the crap and move up the development of the Alpha platform so Pontiac has the proper hardware to create true rear wheel drive performance vehicles appropriate for the brand.