Some advice... On getting a Torrent!

gm4life

Hello everyone,

I have the car itch again. Its a curse, after deciding not to buy the Aurora because it was over 9 grand I am hunting again. I came across a 2007 Pontiac Torrent FWD. I know I can find a stripped Torrent without tinted windows and cruise for like 19 grand. Those are two features I really want. I since have found 2007 Pontiac Torrent FWD with the pref. package, and Onstar giving me all the options I'd want except the trailer tow package and the 17's. Two things I can frankly live without for the price they are asking. They have reduced the price at least once and it is down to $17,000.00. It only has 6,000 miles on it and in is great shape. I do have one problem it is 250 miles away from me and the drive takes upwards of 4 and half hours. So I need to basically need to know as much about this Torrent as I can before I drive up to purschase it. (If I do, but I am more serious about this than the Aurora because my wife has wanted a Torrrent/Equinox since they came out!) The other thing is it is Sonoma Red (Maroon) like my Bonneville with tan cloth. Same color combo, which is sharp but now I will have two maroon cars! :banghead: At this price can I go wrong? It also has the GM cert. used vehicle with tthe remainder of the 3/36K bumper to bumper and the 5/100K powertrain. Is this a good deal? Should I buy? Have they had any big problems? Has anyone driven one? Will handle a bit better than the Equinox? Will they tow a small pop-up camper? Please chime in. I want to have made my final decision by the end of the evening. Please help...

Edited by gm4life

If you were to come across one for 17ish with that few miles again, it seems like it would be a decent deal, considering you would be getting a basically new vehicle for a few grand less than new. What does a base Torrent have in it for an engine? 3.4? I would bet you COULD pull a small popup, if they are as light of a trailer as I imagine them to be, but it would probably struggle quite a bit. I guess if they put a trailer package on it, it must be able to pull something... I really don't know much about these vehicles as I have never been in the market for something like it. Best of luck in the hunt.

Thanks my red one sold... The dealer said to keep watching I sent some other dealers with similar ones a can you match this email. I prefer the white or blue streak actually. They book on them says 3500 with the class II hitch and wiring harness. (So if it doesn't have a tow pack that is all I have to add!) I hope one of the two take the bate plus both of these are white and have a 1000 more miles so I was like can you beat it? But will see. I can't go haggle like I enjoy too, because the wife says she doesn't wanna fuss. Do you think they will bite? And yes I want someone else to take the deperciation hit, and I am not getting one with out tinted windows and the preffered package jus to save some coin. I am gonna buy it and keep. The Prix will prolly get traded for a few hunderd. (Only have room for 3 cars in a 2 and 3/4 car garage.) Thanks for the good wishes. They have 3400's and a 2006 is not an option I hate the center stack, and I want stabli-track!

• 4 weeks later...

Did you end up buying one? I just picked one up and love it. Really bummed that you can't install GM remote start on 2006 models, but oh well. Saved decent amount over an '07.

Congrats on the new vehicle. If you want a remote start, be sure to look at aftermarket. You can get some great systems for about 450 installed. 2-way remote and everything. They really work slick.

Congrats on the new vehicle. If you want a remote start, be sure to look at aftermarket. You can get some great systems for about 450 installed. 2-way remote and everything. They really work slick.

Thanks.. The problem I'm running into with aftermarket remote start is that factory alarms can't be armed with aftermarket fobs. That means I either have to go without arming the security system, or get a remote start that comes with its own alarm, which gets a bit costly, considering that most places charge an additional $100 just to bypass GM's PassLock system. I decent system will run $500 or more, and I'm just a little hesitant going up that far.