CAMRY AND ACCORD BUYERS

This topic is simply your voice on telling Joe and Jane Camcord buyers of better alternatives than the frequently selected Camry and Accord. Make your argument for xx car is better than Camry and Accord and why.

There is no limit to your suggestions other than it should be a comparable type sedan in a similar price range with similar functional value and size / features.

Tell us what car, model approx price and how its configured.

The idea with this thread is to educate potential buyers about all the other great cars available in the camcord or similar segment(s) that people are missing out on by blindly gravtitating toward to those perennial best sellers.

Edited by regfootball

This topic is simply your voice on telling Joe and Jane Camcord buyers of better alternatives than the frequently selected Camry and Accord. Make your argument for xx car is better than Camry and Accord and why.

There is no limit to your suggestions other than it should be a comparable type sedan in a similar price range with similar functional value and size / features.

Tell us what car, model approx price and how its configured.

The idea with this thread is to educate potential buyers about all the other great cars available in the camcord segment that people are missing out on by blindly gravtitating toward to those perennial best sellers.

Volkswagen Rabbit -- same level of engineering, comfort, and sophistication as those two, but in a more space-efficient package; hatchback means you can throw mountain bikes in easily without worrying about the trunk opening; lower MSRP than the other two; basically the European version of the mainstream family car

Volkswagen GTI 5-door -- same advantages of the Rabbit, but with more luxury and performance; goes against V-6 Accords and Camrys

Mercedes C300 Sport -- surprisingly affordable at under $32K; surprisingly roomy; premium engineering and driving experience

Volvo V50 -- wagon helps make up for compact size; a more stylish alternative than the other two

BMW 525i/530i (used) -- you can get an '03 with CPO warranty for under $30K; available as wagon; drives better and more stylish than the other two

Pontiac G8 -- RWD performance; available V8

Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner Hybrid -- double the fuel economy of a regular Escape; roomy and practical; $3000 tax credit

Mazda CX-7 -- turbocharged performance; unique looks; good lease deals

Volkswagen Rabbit -- same level of engineering, comfort, and sophistication as those two, but in a more space-efficient package; hatchback means you can throw mountain bikes in easily without worrying about the trunk opening; lower MSRP than the other two; basically the European version of the mainstream family car

Volkswagen GTI 5-door -- same advantages of the Rabbit, but with more luxury and performance; goes against V-6 Accords and Camrys

Mercedes C300 Sport -- surprisingly affordable at under $32K; surprisingly roomy; premium engineering and driving experience

Volvo V50 -- wagon helps make up for compact size; a more stylish alternative than the other two

BMW 525i/530i (used) -- you can get an '03 with CPO warranty for under $30K; available as wagon; drives better and more stylish than the other two

Pontiac G8 -- RWD performance; available V8

Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner Hybrid -- double the fuel economy of a regular Escape; roomy and practical; $3000 tax credit

Mazda CX-7 -- turbocharged performance; unique looks; good lease deals

I thought the Jetta was a Camry/Accord competitor?

Taurus/Sable - great new engine, more room than anyone in this class, surprising fuel economy for it's size, safer than anything in this class, available AWD

Impala - more car for your money, flex fuel available, V8 available, in black people get out of your way, great reliability

CPO CTS 3.6 - Solid reliability, still turns heads

Lucerne V6 - solid reliability, vault like quiet, more style, presence, and panache than Camry or Accord

Milan - even a base model 4cylinder looks more upscale than a Camry, great fuel efficiency for it's size

Trunks are overrated.

that is something i totally disagree with you on. but nonetheless.

a base saab 9-3 (which will include leather and maintenance) is currently being signaled at about 4 grand off list. I would say the nice 9-3 would be a decent alternative to a loaded 4 cylinder accord.

naturally i will go to bat for my taurus and sable (with their usable trunks) as larger and safer for about the same price as the v6 camcord.

i think the new Malibu will be a nice option for many that don't want a UJS.

A mitsubishi galant v6 may be an option for those that hate toyota, aren't a fan of the premium korean look of the accord and like a big warranty and do not like hyundai/kia.

the fusion is a good car that can be had for less than a camcord.

the impala is a nice option and price effective and economical.

a 4 cylinder passat without too many options is a classy option to the UJS's.

g8 will be a good option. rwd and more sport.

i don't like the charger but the 300 and magnum if for the right price will be a more solid alternate to the UJS v6.

the new accord's trunk is embarrassing. its deep, but not high and not wide in most of the space. goosenecks too i think. overall I would grade the new accord trunk a solid F. It's not usable as a family sedan.

Edited by regfootball

Are we refering to value in certain cars over others?

Well one could always begin with basic camry vrs 2007 malibu, dispite appearance, the malibu is a fine vehicle. It's 100,000 mile warranty puts it light years ahead as far as comitment from the manufacture goes. But beyond a commitment to see your product run flawlessly for 5 years, you'll find many long life components under the hood 4cyl or v6, for example a timing chain... traditionally a chain will last the lifetime of the vehicle, toyota uses a belt to power its dual camshafts... these belts are often recomended by manufactures to replace every 45,000 to 60,000 miles. these can cost upwards of 800$ to replace or repair. Or you'll find your Spark plugs, are irriduim tipped, meaning that maximum spark is achievable with this highly conductive materal and these spark plugs are recoginzed for lasting at least 100,000 miles, and thats what GM recomends they be replaced at. On toyotas most expensive line, they only use platnum which is what was in most vehicles five to ten years ago. To continue on with different reasons why someone should purchase a malibu over a camry, I will also focus your attention at saftey aspects. The malibu is equipt with bla bla bla.. i'm tire i'm going to bed.. i'll finnish this in a couple weeks when i get back to the house

1. Recalls, engine sludge and transmission issues

2. Not driving something that is so common you can't find your car in the parking lot.

3. Onstar, or lack thereof

4. Old lady fluffy suspension on the camry, too much noise on the accord

5. Bad dealer experience

6. Expensive timing belt (as mentioned above)

7. Bland styling for both

8. No road side service or standard 100k warranty

9. No longer the "tops" in reliability (check out JD Powers for details), or even in cr

10. Expensive hybrid options, and expensive in all but base form

It's 100,000 mile warranty puts it light years ahead as far as comitment from the manufacture goes.

It's still limited to 5 years though, like everyone else. For the person that puts above 12,000 per year on their car, it will cover longer; but for the average driver at 12k/year, the warranty is going to cover for the same period. Roadside assistance is nice though.