It's been WAY too long since we had a movie thread!

This weekend I participated in my yearly ritual of viewing the newest Saw flick. I must say that I was especially impressed and in fact, I think this is probably the BEST Saw movie since the original (Which IMO is the best Saw) The movie really digs deeper into why Jigsaw became what he is and invokes sympathy on the part of the viewer. It also wraps up even more of the loose ends in all three of the previous movies and it has the classic Saw twist at the end. I would reccommend it to anyone who loves suspense and psychological thrillers. It's pretty graphic but I didn't think it was as bloody or intense as the last one. (I'm very squeamish)

Those of you who watch horror know how hard it is for a franchise in this genre to stay relevant, but I think the Saw guys have done an excellent job. I admit, I had my doubts about both Saw III & Saw IV until I watched them.

I'm exceptionally excited about the new Rambo movie! The trailer plays in Saw IV and you can also see it at break.com. I haven't watched a Rambo movie in years, but I'll probably be there to see this one the weekend it comes out. There's just something about an ass kicking military veteran that puts a tear in my eye and makes me proud.

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE.....

Before I talk about this one, I want to set a couple of things straight...

1) I absolutely LOATH musicals! I see no reason for some mediocre theatre actor to droan along through dry melody in what is basically a huge pause in the storyline that consists of uncoordinated dances around simple props. In other words: JUST SHUT UP AND TELL THE DAMN STORY, I'M BORED!

2) I absolutely HATE the Beatles. I respect them, but I think they are probably the most overrated act in the history of rock music. I really don't care about their simplistic 'jam' music and I really couldn't care less about what or who the remaining Beatles are doing.

With that out of the way I just have to say that I LOVED the movie!!! The songs were very appropriate for telling the story and bringing to light the era and events involved in the story. The actors were talented and VERY well choreographed. And I think the overall result is something very unique that has loads of substance and emotion. I especially liked the scene where one of the characters gets drafted (for the choreography) and the scene with Bono (Who was very good BTW) which simulates and acid trip. Other high points include the scene where the main character punches the anti-war guy (Just because I enjoy seeing people like that get punched. Watch the movie, you'll see why :D) and the scene where they stumble upon a traveling circus (It's well done and because I like carnies and weird $h! like that--- LOL)

Anyway, see any good flicks lately?

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I've been told I should see the Saw movies, but I staunchly refuse on the grounds that it started off as an original horror movie and will suffer the fate of all the other original horror movies that spawned sequels. In other words: it was a good, original idea the first time around that became stale and worn out through too many sequels...much like A Nightmare on Elm Street or Hellraiser.

Edited by AxelTheRed

I've been told I should see the Saw movies, but I staunchly refuse on the grounds that it started off as an original horror movie and will suffer the fate of all the other original horror movies that spawned sequels. In other words: it was a good, original idea the first time around that became stale and worn out through too many sequels...much like A Nightmare on Elm Street or Hellraiser.

Add me to the list pressuring you to see them.

I am not a fan of 'whoring a movie out' for the sake of cash through sequels, but the Saw franchise actually pulls it off well because the killer never actually kills anyone. So it's easy to reinvent the story in a number of different ways.

That's opposed to, say, Freddy who kills people the same way with basically the same smart assed remarks throughout the series.

BTW, They are remaking Friday the 13th (The same people who made Freddy vs. Jason) so I'm interested in seeing it. Also Clive Barker has expressed big time interest in remaking Hellraiser. I think the original Hellraiser is a classic, so as with Friday the 13th, I'm optimistic but kinda pissed about it.

This is especially true after seeing how bad Rob Zombie destroyed Halloween. I'm a Zombie fan through and through but Halloween was probably the worst movie I've seen this year.

Add me to the list pressuring you to see them.

I am not a fan of 'whoring a movie out' for the sake of cash through sequels, but the Saw franchise actually pulls it off well because the killer never actually kills anyone. So it's easy to reinvent the story in a number of different ways.

That's opposed to, say, Freddy who kills people the same way with basically the same smart assed remarks throughout the series.

BTW, They are remaking Friday the 13th (The same people who made Freddy vs. Jason) so I'm interested in seeing it. Also Clive Barker has expressed big time interest in remaking Hellraiser. I think the original Hellraiser is a classic, so as with Friday the 13th, I'm optimistic but kinda pissed about it.

This is especially true after seeing how bad Rob Zombie destroyed Halloween. I'm a Zombie fan through and through but Halloween was probably the worst movie I've seen this year.

Now that I think about it, everyone who keeps telling me to see the Saw movies has met my serial horror movie argument with pretty much that same response...I've been pondering seeing them, but I'm still skeptical on how much the film makers could possibly reinvent that story

And...they're remaking Friday the 13th? Unless they're going to shake things up in the story, no one's going to be a bit surprised when the killer turns out to be Jason's old prune of a mother. I'm not holding out on that movie being good, though, if its made by the same folks who brought us Freddy vs. Jason.

Hellraiser I actually do hope they'll remake. It was a great movie, but its gotten pretty dated by now...it could use a bit of touching up.

I did see the Halloween remake though. I went in with extremely low expectations and actually came out pleasantly surprised by the whole thing.

i saw "the darjeeling ltd." if you've seen "the life aquatic", it's the same director. parts are ok, it's mostly good, and some parts you can't help but laugh. the beginning of the movie is jason shwartzman and nattalie portman...it's a useful part of the movie, but not entirely needed.

Now that I think about it, everyone who keeps telling me to see the Saw movies has met my serial horror movie argument with pretty much that same response...I've been pondering seeing them, but I'm still skeptical on how much the film makers could possibly reinvent that story

Nothing is ever going to be as good as the original, but if the original were a 10 then II would be about an 8, III would be a 9 and IV would be a 9.5.

II is probably the most intense and bloody, which is one reason I rate it lower as I'm into the psychological aspect, but not the gore. The opening scene is phenominal though. III is more about emotion and IV is background.

And...they're remaking Friday the 13th? Unless they're going to shake things up in the story, no one's going to be a bit surprised when the killer turns out to be Jason's old prune of a mother. I'm not holding out on that movie being good, though, if its made by the same folks who brought us Freddy vs. Jason.

The whole mother thing is up in the air I think. And I rather enjoyed Freddy vs. Jason for what it was, for the imagery if nothing else.

I did see the Halloween remake though. I went in with extremely low expectations and actually came out pleasantly surprised by the whole thing.

Ya know... I've always loved Zombie and I was really into his music around the time Hellbilly Deluxe was released. Not surprisingly, House of 1000 Corpses is probably in my top 10 movies (Since it was made around the same time but couldn't get distribution until a few years later)

I just love the really dark, theatric and weird stuff he pulled off during that timeframe. To me, 'House' isn't about violence at all. It's about weird, horrific, innovative, 'off the wall' different story and film making. Not surprisingly, I hate The Devils Rejects because it was just a slasher flick with no substance. (And Zombie acknowledged taking a different direction with it on purpose)

I tell you that to relate it to Halloween.

For months I was stoked about Zombie and Halloween teamed up as one. The original Halloween is probably the, or a benchmark for horror movies. It wasn't about the blood, the scare was created through suspense and imagery. So I expected the best of both worlds; dark, weird, innovative movie techniques with a storyline that was very psychological as opposed to brutal killing. What I got was just another trashy overly bloody slasher flick that just steps all over what the original Halloween was about. The actors sucked, the language and mannerisms were just trash (I'm all for a bit of profanity and such, but when it's just blatantly obvious that the characters are just being trashy for the sake of trying to 'creat the storyline' it's too far) There was nothing innovative at all about the wayhe shot the movie and I think it generally lacked substance.

For months Zombie talked about "character development" yet did NOTHING OF THE SORT in the movie. Sure, we watched that ugly kid get scared for life and kill a few things but we never got to look into the conscience of the character and actually see why he is evil or how he thinks.

[/end soapbox]

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Guest YellowJacket894

I've seen Saw IV recently as well, being a fan of the series since the first movie.

I'd say that it's probably one of the best movies of the series, following the first movie (minus it's sloppy acting at certain moments), then the third, then the second in that order (although I really seemed to like Detective Matthews first trap from the second movie; it's one with a twist that you don't initially expect; and although I hate f@#king New Kids on the Block, I'll admit Wahlberg is actually a decent actor and can play his roles fairly well).

I'd say that the Saw films are probably one of the best horror franchises to date because of their ability to make the viewer think and there seems to be a lot more reality in the films the more you think about them. There's always something in them, some loose end, that makes you want to see another sequel (thusly we will have a fifth and sixth installment in the series probably within the next two years, it's all but been officially confirmed Tobin Bell has signed up for the next two sequels and that we may finally find out what happened to Doctor Gordon, although his role probably won't be played by Cary Elwes).