I smell bad service

I took my car to an oil change at a PBG dealer in Waterloo today. It was my first time there, since my usual Chevy dealer's fully booked. OK. I had to do a tire rotation, oil and lube, and a 15-point. They told me to check the air filter as well. So I figured, I got my car for 3 years, why not. At the end, they told me I needed a new air filter, so I said go ahead. Then they told me the oil plug was damaged as well, they couldn't screw it back on, and they want 8 bucks from me for a new one. I told them I had warranty, and they told me it's not covered. OK fine, I paid them 8 bucks to put on a new one. I thought something doesn't seem right. I asked them to give me the broken parts back. The guy gave me a dirty look, and sort of taunted at me: "Do you want the engine oil back as well?" At the end, I got the oil filter, the air filter back. No oil plug. I now have these questions: 1. Do I need a new air filter if I had my car for 3 years and only 40k kms? 2. How did they hold the oil in my car and then figure out the plug's damaged? By the sound of things they did the oil change already. 3. Is the oil plug thing they mentioned supposed to be covered by warranty? I have 1 year GMPP extended on my car. 4. If this IS fishy, is there a way for me to complain? Edited by ToniCipriani

Unless you drive in 7ft of mud you dont really need a air filter at 40k. Just take it out and get some of that Dust Off (compressed air) or if you have a compressor, just blow it through the oppisite side. Since you have it, is it a whitish manilla color or dirt brown? I never heard of a Oil Plug breaking or striping before tho. Where i used to work if you broke you payed for it so i think you got riped off. Some Dealers just work that way tho.

The plug would have been covered under warranty if it had been defective. It sounds to me like it was either crossthreaded or rounded off (wrong size wrench?) by them or the guys who changed it last time, that's not the plug's fault, that's user error. So I wouldn't say it was warrantable. The service advisor's attitude was reprehensible though. Sounds like he needs a good asskicking.

Yes, it is very possible that your air filter was dirty enough to replace at that kind of mileage.

You had every right to ask for the old parts.

WMJ is right, I was told my Transmission fluid was bad after i put a Brand new transmission in not 1 hour ago. so they lie, i called the manenger and the kid said what i ment it was over filled and it was about a 1/16 of an inch over ,but they want every penny you have.

3 years and 40,000 km is definately time for a new air filter. It's pretty damn important for you engine to get oxygen down to the combustion chamber for everythig to work properly... as far as the plug THEY were probably the idiots who damaged it. Either way I'm not feeling a good vibe about that, but it could have just been it was tossed already.

Although it certainly is your perogative to take your business elsewhere, you shouldn't take this laying down. Service advisors aren't liars; most of them are over worked to death and, being human, often take the easiest route out. You will probably get a service survey from GM. Make sure you fill it out. Make sure you are honest. Don't just be nasty for the sake of revenge. If GM is to thrive in this competitive market, it needs direct, honest input from its customers. If you are suspicious about the oil plug, take it up with the service manager. That is what he is there for. If he is having a problem with a particular technician or service advisor, he needs to know.