Do we know anything about Camaro's motor(s)?

I'm not holiding my breath for January but I'm really, really REALLY hoping. I do have faith.

I'm not sure if GM's totally decided at this point if the Camaro is given the green light what engines will be used. I'm guessing they're debating between the 3.9 and 3.6 for the base model. The 5.3 would probably be the base V8 engine, whatever they call it. I wouldn't worry about the top engine; GM doesn't lose horsepower wars.

If the Camaro gets the Green light.. its engine choices would more than likely be.. base cars would be powered by the 3.9L ohv V6, the same engine that powers impala's, malibu's and G6's.. in this application it would probably produce around 250 hp.. this would kill the base mustang.. midlevel cars would be powered by a 5.3L ohv V8. HP would be somewhere in the 320 range.. top models would use a "detuned" version of the Corvette's 6.0L V8 but in the camaro it would be around 380 hp..

If the Camaro gets the Green light..  its engine choices would more than likely be..
base cars would be powered by the 3.9L ohv V6,  the same engine that powers impala's, malibu's and G6's.. in this application it would probably produce around 250 hp..  this would kill the base mustang..

midlevel cars would be powered by a 5.3L ohv V8. HP would be somewhere in the 320 range.. 

top models would use a "detuned" version of the Corvette's 6.0L V8 but in the camaro it would be around 380 hp..

[post="29263"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's what I'm guessing. If the top end 6.0 engine doesn't go that high (maybe closer to mid-300s), look for a higher end Camaro (ZL1?). But that's just MY speculation.

*cough* Mustang Cobra vs. 4th Gens? *cough*

And don't say it's because Cobra's an SVT because the SS was an SLP.

[post="32594"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually after the late 90s SLP no longer converted SS/WS6 cars... you could still order aftermaket accessories though the factory but it was no longer a "conversion".

*cough* Mustang Cobra vs. 4th Gens? *cough*

And don't say it's because Cobra's an SVT because the SS was an SLP.

[post="32594"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Cobra never outpowered the 4th Gens until the 4th Gens were dead. And, Ford wasn't able to outpower them without forced induction either; if you were to stick a supercharger or turbo on the LS1 it'd be making well over the 390hp of the Cobra.

I think the 5.3L will be making around 340HP or more by the time a 5th Gen comes out. If it had the same hp/L as the LS2 then it'd be at 350+, and with the improvements in technology, I don't see why that couldn't be possible. I think the top engine will probably be a supercharged LS2 or the 6.2L.

Actually after the late 90s SLP no longer converted SS/WS6 cars... you could still order aftermaket accessories though the factory but it was no longer a "conversion".

[post="32600"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What does that mean? You're saying there were no '00-02 SSs? :blink:

What does that mean? You're saying there were no '00-02 SSs? :blink:

[post="32664"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, he is saying that in '98 GM took over production of the SS's (built them on the assembly line) instead of having SLP "build" them (by converting/modifying Z28's).

The RPO code for the SS was WU8 from 98-02 (it was R7T for the 96-97 SS's). Options could be ordered from SLP, using code Y2Y, and only then did SLP do anything to the 98-02 SS's. You had to have a SS (WU8) to get the SLP options (Y2Y) and many SS's did have SLP options, that (along with SLP building the 96-97 SS's) is why many believe that SLP built the 98-02 SS's.

David Edited by Diognes56