2008 G37 Coupe

BigPontiac

My dad's on-again off-again relationship between BMW and Infiniti continues. He just bought a 2008 G37 Coupe on eBay -- which will replace his 2007 BMW 328xi (also from eBay). Prior to the BMW he had a 2006 G35x (plus the 2006 Acura TL 6MT which replaced his 2004 BMW 330ci 6MT Perf package car [huge buyer's remorse on that one]). It's hard to keep up, but I do enjoy getting to do personal comparison tests! He'll be 66 in the spring of '08.

00.jpg

More photos

I think I'd take the 3er coupe over the G37, though the G37 is a great performer. Perhaps he'll buy a 2010 CTS coupe in a couple years.

He was bidding on a 335 coupe, but didn't win so moved onto the Infiniti. The coupe vs. sedan thing doesn't seem to be a big deal with him. He came close to buying a CTS in 2003, but he wanted a manual trans and didn't like the pump-to-set e-brake with the manual trans.

Most likely GM vehicles he'll consider next are the GMC Acadia (he likes it more than the Enclave) or G8 Sportwagon. He'll get bored with the 2007 Subaru Forrester LL Bean Edition soon enough, but it's a huge improvement over its predecessor, the 2006 Ford FreeStyle AWD! [his first Ford ever]

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like BMW is cheating by using turbos?

Not that they shouldn't use the technology, but if Honda is able to get over 260 horses out of a single-cam V6, shouldn't BMW - supposedly a prime engineering company - be able to do close to 300 with a twin-cam six without resorting to force?

Also, I prefer the Infiniti's looks - it actually is a "sports coupe", while the 3 (as always) looks like a cut-down sedan. That the G also manages to roll with 330 natural horses and a minimal MPG penalty works in its favor too.

To sum up - your dad is cool as hell. Good job raising him. :D