72 pick up 350 won't start

cton47

Hello,

1972 chevy pick up 350 cranks over will not start ... first i want to drain BAD gas where do I find the drain plug on gas tank? also where is the fuel pump located? Anything else is greatly appreciated and welcomed

thank you for the time and help,

carleton

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a drain plug on a fuel tank. You'll have to siphon it out or take the tank out and dump it. And I believe the fuel pump on one of those is under the hood... maybe down low somewhere? It's been a while since I've been around one of these old trucks.

First 2 questions,

Do you have gas at the carb?

Do you have spark?

If you have no gas, first check you fuel filter. Your fuel pump is located on the front left side of the engine below the exhaust manifold. Take the fuel line off the carb and see if it pumps gas when you crank. Take a plug out to see if it's wet. crank the motor with the plug out and touching the engine (for ground) and see it it sparks. If you have no spark and no HEI ignition (if it has points) file the points. They can corrode and not conduct. Good luck.

The fuel pump is mechanical and driven by the engine - look for it down low on the front passenger side of the block.

The tank is located inside the truck behind the seat, follow the fuel line and drain it through the line. If there is debris inside the tank, you will have to remove it, clean it, have it sealed, and re-install it.

I would drain the old fuel, change the fuel filter, and rebuild the carb, if it is a fuel delivery problem.

The fuel pumps are cheap, go ahead and replace that as well (be careful not to let the rod that drives it fall out of the engine or let any debris inside). The fuel pump is driven via this rod from the camshaft.

Are you sure that the trouble is fuel?

Does the ignition have spark?

• 4 weeks later...

All right, I've always got a trusty solution for problems like this..... Beat it with a hammer and call it dirty names.... No, really, I'd check and see what everyone else above has said, that's the best course of action. First see if its a spark or a fuel problem, from there, address the issue and see what happens.

Between Camino & 76 Trucker all the advice you need is coming your way... :)