MY DAD IS CAR SHOPPING

regfootball

My dad has a line on a black 98 Deville Concours with 47k miles on it. Estate type sale. Seller is listing at 8500 but the person in charge of the sale will go lower. My dad wants to try to get it for 5500. I told him he'll prob need to go up as high as 6500.

What do you all think is fair for a 10 year old Concours w/ northstar, floor shift, moonroof?

Myself I do not like the interior color or i might have interest. If my dad buys it I might make him a serious offer on his 92 Seville with 80k on it.

What is the history on that vintage of Northstar and tranny?

Edited by regfootball

Semi nice cars, at least equipped as Concours...but can be either basic or very costly to maintain. Tends to vary a lot, based on specific maintenance that's been done and just specific car weirdness.

Computer/electro struts & shocks on "sport" models like that--for the ever familiar "Service Ride Control" messages--and the Northstar, although nice, is prone to head gasket, water pump, etc. issues. They're very, very subsceptible to more/faster damage if the coolant hasn't been religiously flushed & replaced, moreso.

As I have 2 Fleetwoods, I spend a lot of time over here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/

You'll learn everything you wanted and didn't want to know about the cars. Generally people love the performance of the Northstar, especially in its FWD layout even...but maintenance and issues can be really hit or miss.

If it were me, even as much more unique/cool a Concours is over a typical bench seated squishy Deville...there's just too many small and large issue possibilities, and lots of other better choices all around, that I'd stay away. Even with low, low miles.

My friend just bought a '97 Deville with 25k on it...and I actually liked it more than I thought, especially the Northstar rush when stepped on. But, still, too common/ugh of a car to me, and too many "possible" maintenance/repair bills.

Edited by caddycruiser

myself, i don't think i would get the car. it's too old, but if the price was right, that would be ok. If he gets it for 5500 and it becomes a money pit, as long as its not all at once........

i don't think the deville is nice enough to justify investment in. i think the 92 seville he has is as classic a design as any caddy ever and i think he ought to just get a new pickup instead.

-edit-

i just spent some time looking at the forums and some other research and i guess in my opinion its not worth chancing. too big a pile of money if you get stuck with the problems.

Edited by regfootball

Yep, pretty much my sentiment.

I'd keep the old and apparent "goodie" he already has, and just buy something else different if he needs/wants it.

The Deville isn't great enough of a car just to buy when you find one in a situation as described. Too risky for a car that's nothing special and not really something needed/wanted.

Edited by caddycruiser

he's a bit of a tight ass and he now has heard about those issues so i would not be surprised if he just offers like 4500 for it and sees if he scores it.

Does he really need/want an older luxo sedan...or is it more just "because" of the miles, possible price, etc.?

Could always flip it after the fact, as I have another Fleetwood-driving friend who bought a '98 Concours cheap and did that with it a few weeks later, on Ebay, and made a decent chunk.

As others have said, I'd stay away. When they refreshed the Deville lineup in 1997, they altered something to the Northstar that led to excessive oil consumption. The 1995-1996 Concours are better in that sense, and anything 2000 and after also does not have the oil consumption issues.