how would you interpret this?

loki

your opinion  

16 members have voted

1. 1. is McCain eliglable for the oval office?

• Yes
    • No

Senator McCain born in U.S. territory

http://www.news-journal.com/news/content/f...c=7&cxcat=5

QUESTION: If Sen. John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone, how can he be president? Article II of the Constitution says "No person except a natural born citizen . . . shall be eligible to the office of President."

ANSWER: Are you looking for a drama that would rival the 2000 election controversy? When McCain was born, in 1936, the canal zone was a U.S. territory. He was born on an Air Force base, to U.S. citizens.

One is not considered a natural born citizen if born outside the United States, to non-citizens, and who later go through the naturalization process to become citizens. An example is California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

should McCain be running if this is true?

The confusion could be coming from the opposite side of the coin. If your mother steps over the border into the US just as her water breaks and you take your first breath inside the line - you are an American Citizen. It doesn't matter where your mother came from or how she got there, you are instantly, and forever a "natural born citizen".

i understand what you're saying, but does that mean if you were born here and moved out of the country, permanently, unless you renounced your citizen ship you would die a US citizen?

there have been attempts at repealing that "law" , citizenship if you're born here, and citizenship by "association".... do you think they are fair / promote the immigration problem?

Also, a territory of the US, especially a military base is technically part of the US anyway.

so would that count in our "land area"?

military bases outside the US shouldn't be "permanent".

can Puerto Ricans run for president? ...i bet not, but i could be wrong!

like how the united nations is on "international land"...no one has it.

can Puerto Ricans run for president? ...i bet not, but i could be wrong!

Yes, they can... the official requirements are as follows:

a citizen born in the United States, Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands (or to American parents abroad) can become President of the United States. You also need to have been a U.S. resident for at least 14 years.

Ergo... McCain = Eligible... even if he wasn't eligible, that rule is so stupid anyway IMO.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

i understand what you're saying, but does that mean if you were born here and moved out of the country, permanently, unless you renounced your citizen ship you would die a US citizen?

yes

there have been attempts at repealing that "law" , citizenship if you're born here, and citizenship by "association".... do you think they are fair / promote the immigration problem?

Immigration is what created the US, and although managing it has always been problematic, it remains essential to what the US is.

No, that law should never be changed.