Stupid 60's pontiac trivia/stuff I want to know.

Questions about 60's pontiacs-

A couple of color questions-was Verdero green available only as a GTO color? I think I've seen it on Lemans, Firebird, and such but am not sure.

Also, was Mayfair Maze the only yellow offered? When I was growing up there was a mayfair maze Firebird owned by a teenage boy down the street (67 or 68, 67 I think). there was also a very brihgt yellow GTO that ran around, and I'm pretty sure the GTO had never been repainted. Was there another yellow colro offered by Pontiac in 67-69?

Also, I have heard that some GTO's were special ordered in Daytona Yellow, the Chevelle/Camaro color.

How rare is the Pontiac Custom S convertible? PCS posted a pic of one in one of his posts, but I can't find any info on these cars.

Were any Ram air Firebird Convertibles built in 69? Does anyone know of any left? Ever seen of Photographed one?

Does anyone have any info on the RAM AIR V package? Supposedly you could build this with over the counter parts, I would like to know if anyone/very many people ever did and what the performance potential of this was.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Chris

I have definitely seen at least one '69 Firebird ragtop with the ram air

scoops I do not know if it was optioned that way from the factory.

Wish I knew if/where I might have a photo of it. It was black/black.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Questions about 60's pontiacs-

A couple of color questions-was Verdero green available only as a GTO color? I think I've seen it on Lemans, Firebird, and such but am not sure.

Also, was Mayfair Maze the only yellow offered? When I was growing up there was a mayfair maze Firebird owned by a teenage boy down the street (67 or 68, 67 I think). there was also a very brihgt yellow GTO that ran around, and I'm pretty sure the GTO had never been repainted. Was there another yellow colro offered by Pontiac in 67-69?

Also, I have heard that some GTO's were special ordered in Daytona Yellow, the Chevelle/Camaro color.

How rare is the Pontiac Custom S convertible? PCS posted a pic of one in one of his posts, but I can't find any info on these cars.

Were any Ram air Firebird Convertibles built in 69? Does anyone know of any left? Ever seen of Photographed one?

Does anyone have any info on the RAM AIR V package? Supposedly you could build this with over the counter parts, I would like to know if anyone/very many people ever did and what the performance potential of this was.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Chris

Ok, I will try this from memory as I don't have the time to look all this up right now. If anyone can correct me feel free.

I know there were 8 Ram Air III TA convertivbles made. 7 of these are accounted for. I also did a quick check and found 87 Ram AIr Ho were built in a 1969 drop top.

Ram Air V was a over the counter head package that Pontiac did sell. It ran very large tunnel ports and was good at high RPM but suffered at low RPM. These were not great street engines. They were used on mostly racing applications of 303,366,400. The 303was to have beren a Trans Am SCCA race engine and the 366 Was to have been used in NASCAR and I think was raced by David Person in a GTO for a few races. There was some use of the heads on a 428 and it was called a VI and VII but they were very limited and for drag racing only. I think Arnie Bestwick used these in his Funny car.

There are many of these still around. I have a family near me who are into Pontiacs and have built a couple of these engines and dropped them into GTO's.

Custome S convertible there were 2,379 in 1969

W 76 Goldenrod Yellow was a special order color and much brighter than Mayfair Maize. Daytona Yellow was the special order color in 1970 on the GTO seen on several Judges.

Vedero Green was a GTO, Lemans and Firebird color. I think you could also get it on the big Pontiacs too. It was a very poular color then as is now.

Mayfair Maize was the only Yellow in 1968 and the first bright yellow was the special option Goldenrod Yellow of 69.

I hope my info is accurate and helps. And again if I have anything wrong anyone feel free to correct as this kind of info is hard to reacall correctly with out looking it up.

Edited by hyperv6

>>"was Verdero green available only as a GTO color? I think I've seen it on Lemans, Firebird, and such..."<<

Across the board color (A-, B- & F-body), offered '67-69 inclusive, data plate code Q/73 (depending on year).

>>"Were any Ram air Firebird Convertibles built in 69?"<<

Yes:

160 RA IIIs (including the 8 T/A converts)

17 RA IVs

>>"Does anyone have any info on the RAM AIR V package? Supposedly you could build this with over the counter parts, I would like to know if anyone/very many people ever did and what the performance potential of this was."<<

RA V gets somewhat confusing because the name covers numerous very different engines with different intents: 303, 366, 400 & 428 CI.

Noted Pontiac racer & fanatic Pete McCarthy ran a 400 RA V in a '66 GTO circa 1970: the 1st run was a disappointing 12.2 and on the 2nd run the block blew apart. Upper end parts reinstalled on a Tempest circa '74, in a build that should've been a "low 10s" car, resulted in a 11.6. MCCarthy's opinion is that the motor needs a race chassis and a full race build to reach it's potential.... but what that may be more specifically, depends on to what level the build goes to. The RA Vs running today all seems to have been modified to varying degrees, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Estimated quantity on the most common (400) is 80 crate engines sold.