Operation Intrepid

So as you may recall, a few months ago some jackass in a stolen Integra sideswiped both the Intrepid and the Prizm. The Prizm is more scratched than dented, and plus I haven't found any matching doors for it yet, so it hasn't had any work done, we may just leave them on, since the car will be repainted eventually.

The Intrepid meanwhile took a nasty hit in the rear driver's side door. It's cost prohibitive to have it the dents removed and have it repainted, but I have left it on there until i could find a matching door for it. We found one at the $50 day at Holland's Used Auto, but unfortunately it was pretty badly scraped up and dented, so I never bothered. I'm cheap, but picky, what can I say?

Couple weeks ago while hunting for Shadow parts, I came across a blue Intrepid with a mint door. Bought that, and so it sat on the porch until I had time to put it on. That time was today, where finally I replaced the door. I have to go back and adjust it so it lines up properly, but I'm thrilled that my car doesn't look so bad now. The driver's door has some scrapes, but it's nowhere near as bad.

As a side bonus, the door panel for that door was coming off, as the plastic had cracked, so I managed to hunt down a matching one at the yard, and put it on teh door I bought. So now I've got a new door and new door panel.

Tomorrow if I have time I want to replace the weather stripping, as it is starting to fall apart.

To celebrate, I gave it a thorough car wash!

I do have a question though. The wash didn't get off that damn yellow writing the junkyard wrote on teh door. How do I get it off without damaging the paint? Is there something I can buy or is there a trick? Thanks

Will post pics when I download them from the camera.

I'll try that, I also wonder if wax itself would take the writing off. Gotta find the wax though.

Besides the writing, it looks 100% better (I know I need to get pics up). No more dent, yay...just need to align the door properly.

Also I put in new weatherstripping, the old ones were cracked on all 4 doors.

Not 100% sure, but think goof-off might work.

1st, try some on a inconspicuous location on the paint to make sure it will

not discolor the clearcoat, strip paint or some other damage... like maybe

the inside of the door jamb or trunk lid... if that test turns out ok I bet the

goof-off might be your best solution.

I'll give that s hot, the C.A.P clerk recommended something too, forget the name. In any case I can experiment on the old door so if it gets messed up, no worries.

I'ved used goof off like this before and had it work.

Chris

Goof off is good stuff, esp. on price-tag glue.

Most of the time WD-40 works similar to Goof Off but not sure about modern automotive paint.

Goof off is good stuff, esp. on price-tag glue.

Most of the time WD-40 works similar to Goof Off but not sure about modern automotive paint.

I've never had a problem but I've always used it on older cars...so good point.

I would try WD-40.

Chris

100_0428.jpg

100_0429.jpg

100_0430.jpg

100_0431.jpg

100_0432.jpg

A bit of an improvement maybe? Just have to get the writing off still. Also need to adjust the door so it aligns properly.

Damn, that Intrepid is in good shape for a northern car, no wonder you were so pissed when that jackass hit you with that Integra.

Chris

Damn, that Intrepid is in good shape for a northern car, no wonder you were so pissed when that jackass hit you with that Integra.

Chris

Thanks! Yeah, no rust under the car. The only rust is a small spot on the driver's door frame, which I'll have fixed soon enough. I'm also going to have the car undercoated before winter. The door I just got has a tiny bit of sruface rust starting to form on the inside, gonna take car of that as well.

Edited by Dodgefan

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to washing and waxing the Intrepid. It took a while but finally I managed to get the damn writing off of the door, as well as realigning it, needs a little more work but it's getting there. Much better now ^_^

Only sucky thing is that between 2000 and 2001 they for whatever reason changed the mounting height of the rub strips. <_<

Oh well, better than a big ugly dent!

100_1242.jpg

100_1243.jpg

100_1244.jpg

100_1250.jpg

Edited by Dodgefan