GM expands employee discount plan through July

Jamie LaReau

Automotive News

July 28, 2008 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT — General Motors is allowing U.S. employees the opportunity, through July, to offer an employee discount to any one person they choose.

The program is not as broad as GM's 2005 Employee Discount for Everyone event. It's an effort to boost sales, talk up GM products and clear inventory, a company spokesman said Friday.

An employee discount provides substantial savings. For example, a Buick Lucerne with a sticker price of $34,200 would have an employee price of $29,758.03 after cash incentives, said a GM spokesman.

Link: http://www.autonews.com/article/20080728/A...paign_id=alerts

Hey guys,

I'm curious exactly what this is and how to get it, how it combines with other incentives. My GF is looking at getting either a Equinox Sport or a Vue XR very soon and I'm not doing well sorting through all the insentives. We don't want to finance more than 20k and she has a 4-5 k trade. I know were going to need some incentives to get those trime levels. what can we combine in order to make this happen and can the employee discount help us/ how do we get it?

Hey guys,

I'm curious exactly what this is and how to get it, how it combines with other incentives. My GF is looking at getting either a Equinox Sport or a Vue XR very soon and I'm not doing well sorting through all the insentives. We don't want to finance more than 20k and she has a 4-5 k trade. I know were going to need some incentives to get those trime levels. what can we combine in order to make this happen and can the employee discount help us/ how do we get it?

not exactly sure if things have changed, but employee discount reduces the selling price of the vehicle below invoice by like $500... that does not include any sort of incentives that are currently going on, so whatever rebates are currently being issued, you'd be entitled to those as well...

but i guess the catch is, you've got to know an employee...

Hey guys,

You need to know a US GM employee that will give you the discount, is my understanding.

You need to know a US GM employee that will give you the discount, is my understanding.

Has to to be an active employee as they can not be retired of have taken a early buy out.

I suspect sales will stay down for the near future so if the 09 sales are slow this deal may be opened up to all at the dealers to keep the cars moving and cash coming in.

On average for a $25K car it can save $3000 to $5000 depending on model. I know someone wanting a Cobalt SS that stickered for just over $24K and is looking at a price of $19K.

My problem is most of the GM employees I know well are retired or dead.