Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

R Class

used dealer i shop sometimes just got a bunch of off lease R Class 4 matics. I sat in one.....easily, easily this is the ultimate road trip vehicle.

thing is, the price is CLOSE to attainable. for used, keep in mind.

the interior is phenomenal. i just about drowned in the leather aroma. the one had the FULL LENGTH panorama sunroof. God i hope the sunshades do their job.

i could seriously drive one of these......does anyone have any driving or interior impressions or experience with this vehicle?

You get in one, you will want one.

IDK, the interior seems kinda un-Mercedes-like. And there isn't much room behind the third row.

For six-to-seven passenger roadtrips, I'd still rather take an Odyssey. The thing about the Ody is that while there's infinite space inside, it doesn't feel overly cavernous and imposing, like the smaller Flex does. I checked out a Flex the other day, and while I love the styling, a good minivan is better at managing space. The second row doesn't slide fore-and-aft, the beltline is too high, the pillars are too thick, and actual seat comfort wasn't too good.

As a panel member for design input I got to sat in the R-Class shortly before it went on sale. The ride is phenomenal and I do agree the space is limited behind the 3rd row, but it is still not bad. The 4 matic is awesome and the 3.5L V-6 did not noticeably feel slower than the 5.0L V8. In terms of ride E-Class > R > M=GL. It feels sure footed and it is much better than the FWD Honda Odessey which in itself is not a bad drive.

One word find R55 AMG one of the rarest of the rare modern vehicles existing. Possibly rarer than the Bug-gatey Veronica.

Edited by 79VetteZ06

I love the styling actually - long and low. Drove one and found the accelleration of the 3.5 to be adequate. The interior spoke volumes to me though - very well appointed and lots of technology. Add to it Mercedes safety and you have a damned neat wagon/mini-van...thingy. I don't think mileage is a strong point, though.

So, what is the attainable price that they are offering a full boat R-class off lease? My wife wants one after her Commander goes back to Chrysler Financial.

Edited by toesuf94

IDK, the interior seems kinda un-Mercedes-like. And there isn't much room behind the third row.

For six-to-seven passenger roadtrips, I'd still rather take an Odyssey. The thing about the Ody is that while there's infinite space inside, it doesn't feel overly cavernous and imposing, like the smaller Flex does. I checked out a Flex the other day, and while I love the styling, a good minivan is better at managing space. The second row doesn't slide fore-and-aft, the beltline is too high, the pillars are too thick, and actual seat comfort wasn't too good.

but a minivan feels like a bus, odyssey included. and the odyssey is not that great of a drive. it feels like a bus, with a little sharper handling than most vans, but its noisy, lacks the console, and you feel the road impacts too much through the steering and floor and seat, and its steering feels too light and weak, as if a couple seasons of winter potholes will do it in. The chassis felt flimsy and the ride was harsh to be honest. Definitely did not feel bank vault solid. it doesn't possess the cush factor IMHO. A taurus x is a much more satisfying drive than the ody.

but this R class really seems as if it would coddle everyone. It oozes class on the inside.

Having driven the Flex, it's quite the road cruiser. Quiet and smooth. Secure and confident steering for 98% of the drivers who will be driving it. Quieter than the Odyssey, the dash is laid out nicer, it has a console and floor shifter too......the Flex's middle row does slide I believe (need to check that). All the interior surfaces have detail and heft that the ody does not. The Ody does have a cargo advantage, but the Quest out cargoes the ody if that's your thing. The ody is so bland only the Sienna out blands it. I don't think the Ody's second row stows even.

Edited by regfootball

I love the styling actually - long and low. Drove one and found the accelleration of the 3.5 to be adequate. The interior spoke volumes to me though - very well appointed and lots of technology. Add to it Mercedes safety and you have a damned neat wagon/mini-van...thingy. I don't think mileage is a strong point, though.

So, what is the attainable price that they are offering a full boat R-class off lease? My wife wants one after her Commander goes back to Chrysler Financial.

25 and change for about 20k miles on it. Another one with full roof about 28k.

but a minivan feels like a bus, odyssey included. and the odyssey is not that great of a drive. it feels like a bus, with a little sharper handling than most vans, but its noisy, lacks the console, and you feel the road impacts too much through the steering and floor and seat, and its steering feels too light and weak, as if a couple seasons of winter potholes will do it in. The chassis felt flimsy and the ride was harsh to be honest. Definitely did not feel bank vault solid. it doesn't possess the cush factor IMHO. A taurus x is a much more satisfying drive than the ody.

but this R class really seems as if it would coddle everyone. It oozes class on the inside.

Having driven the Flex, it's quite the road cruiser. Quiet and smooth. Secure and confident steering for 98% of the drivers who will be driving it. Quieter than the Odyssey, the dash is laid out nicer, it has a console and floor shifter too......the Flex's middle row does slide I believe (need to check that). All the interior surfaces have detail and heft that the ody does not. The Ody does have a cargo advantage, but the Quest out cargoes the ody if that's your thing. The ody is so bland only the Sienna out blands it. I don't think the Ody's second row stows even.

Only the Chrysler vans have fold-away 2nd and 3rd row seats.

Given the choice between the Mercedes whale and the Flex, I'd take the Flex any day. I'd even consider one over the Chrysler vans, unless ultimate practilcality was what I wanted...just can't beat a minivan in that respect. But the Flex is compelling because of it's unique looks, great interior, and neat features, plus it's probably better to drive.

Edited by Dodgefan

The R-class is the ONE U.S.-market Mercedes Benz from

the past 30 years I think is both ugly and mechanically

inferior... it is BY far the most unbecoming vehicle to

wear the MB emblem right now.

I'd be much more likely to buy a Smart ForTwo than this

Faux-AMG edition Grand Caravan.

Sorry, just being honest.

Only the Chrysler vans have fold-away 2nd and 3rd row seats.

Given the choice between the Mercedes whale and the Flex, I'd take the Flex any day. I'd even consider one over the Chrysler vans, unless ultimate practilcality was what I wanted...just can't beat a minivan in that respect. But the Flex is compelling because of it's unique looks, great interior, and neat features, plus it's probably better to drive.

chryslers vans are highly functional.. they need to fix the cheap plastic and odd dash design now.

the quest has 'fold flat' seats where come darn close to equalling the 2nd row function of the chryslers.......

Guest aatbloke

Although a much better attempt at ferrying hoards of people around without van-like driving dynamics, the R-Class has the same lukewarm appeal as the old V-Class did.

Edited by aatbloke