Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

How I would structure GM

FUTURE_OF_GM

SECTION 2: PLATFORMS & SUBSEQUENT MODELS

*** Before anyone gets too worked up, please see the explanation behind some of these decisions in section 3. ***

The way I see it, GM can operate on 9 (Maybe fewer) global architectures. Here is the GMNA line up based on the nine I would refine and re-engineer for the future.

Gamma: Engineered to provide much better and a wider variety of cars here than the current Aveo. Idealistically this platform will be AWD capable.

1) Chevrolet Beat (5 door)

2) Chevrolet Groove (wagon)

3) Pontiac G4 (3 door)

4) Saturn Corsa (5 door and convertible)

5) Saab 9-1 (3 door & wagon)

Delta: Basically Delta II

1) Chevrolet Cruze, (sedan & coupe)

2) Chevrolet HHR (wagon)

3) Chevrolet Orlando (Just like the concept, a people mover)

4) Chevrolet Volt

5) Pontiac G5 (coupe)

6) Pontiac Vibe (wagon)

7) Delta Buick (sedan)

8] Saturn Astra (5 door & coupe)

9) Saturn Van

10) Saab 9-3 (3 door, sedan & convertible)

Epsilon: Basically Epsilon II. This platform can be stretched or widened to accommodate larger cars.

1) Chevrolet Malibu (sedan)

2) Buick Lacrosse (sedan)

3) Buick Invicta (convertible)

4) Buick Riviera (coupe)

5) Lucerne (sedan)

6) Saturn Aura (sedan)

7) Saab 9-5 (5 door & wagon)

Gamma, Delta & Epsilon seem to be where the heart of the market is going so the product is heavy on these platforms for obvious reasons. More models mean more chances for success and share. (As long as the models are differentiated in characteristics, price and channel) This part of the market is thick, so it can handle multiple entries from GM (And by that I mean 2; maybe 3 in some cases) The key here is to EXECUTE the product correctly. So many buyers have the thought that American small and intermediate cars are BAD, because for a long time they were. This new generation needs to extinguish that perception.

Alpha: It is assumed that this platform could serve 2 purposes; it’s original goal and underpinning slightly larger, bigger displacement cars on a widened or stretched version. (a.k.a. available V8 power)

1) Chevrolet Camaro (coupe & convertible)

2) Pontiac G6 (sedan)

3) Pontiac GTO (Production limited coupe)

4) Saturn Sky (convertible)

5) Cadillac BTS (sedan, coupe & wagon)

Super Car: Formerly known as Y-Body, this platform can be re-engineered to be more flexible (As was rumored before C7 work stopped) and of course, better ☺

1) Chevrolet Corvette (coupe & convertible)

2) Pontiac Solstice (coupe & convertible)

3) Cadillac Cien (coupe)

Omega: The Zeta and Sigma hybrid or a lightened Zeta for future vehicles.

CARS:

1) Chevrolet Impala (sedan)

2) Cadillac CTS (sedan, coupe, wagon & convertible)

3) Cadillac DTS (sedan & coupe)

4) Cadillac Sixteen (sedan)

TRUCKS:

1) Chevrolet Colorado (Basically a de-contented Denali XT)

2) Chevrolet El Camino (Basically the G8 ST)

3) Cadillac Escalade (A new uni-body ute to better battle new entries from MB and the like)

Theta: Encompasses both Theta and Theta Premium (a.k.a Theta-Eps)

1) Chevrolet Equinox

2) GMC Terrain

3) Buick Theta

4) Cadillac SRX

5) Saab 9-4X

6) Saturn Vue

7) Saturn Ridgeline style vehicle

Lambda: As is, except with updates.

1) Chevrolet Traverse

2) GMC Acadia

3) Buick Enclave

GMT-1000: Since “real” trucks will supposedly become LESS important in the future, why not take a play from Nissan's strategy (except do it right) and build all of your real trucks from one platform that can accommodate multiple sizes and flavors instead of building from both the forthcoming GMT700 and full size platforms?

1) Chevrolet Silverado

2) Chevrolet Silverado HD

3) Chevrolet Suburban

4) GMC Sierra

5) GMC Sierra HD

6) GMC Canyon

7) GMC Yukon

8] GMC Savanna

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Solstice on Y-Body? Really not sure about that. The whole idea of the Solstice was for it to be affordable (before GM Canada and dealers ruin it). Sharing the platform with the Corvette sounds like the complete opposite.

I think the Sixteen is rather unnecessary. It'll just run into the same problems as the Park Ave in China (people who really want one can't afford it, and those who do have the money won't buy it and go to the S-Class). Unless you go WAY beyond and compete in the Maybach/Bentley/RR sector and becoming the American counterpart of those, since they're all German.

And by Aura do you mean Insignia? I know you hate GME, but they do exist and will factor in as a part of GM. Hence you're also missing Agila, Tigra, Zafira. But shouldn't be a problem since those all fall under Gamma and Delta and those will have tons of volume to justify existence.

As for Pontiac, all I'm asking is if it's to be a performance division, at least a manual on each model an NOT ONLY ON THE FRACKING TOP OF THE LINE ONE WHICH COSTS ALMOST DOUBLE OF THE BASIC ONE.

Solstice on Y-Body? Really not sure about that. The whole idea of the Solstice was for it to be affordable (before GM Canada and dealers ruin it). Sharing the platform with the Corvette sounds like the complete opposite.

Well, it depends... On how much you want to de-content the Corvette platform. My vision was for the Solstice to be a true drivers car, in that none of the superfluous amenities of the Corvette are needed. The same people that (would) buy a Solstice could be found at the track or local parking lot racing the car on the weekends. It would be the 'ultimate' performance model and halo for Pontiac in that it would be a true race capable car. What better way to make a statement about what your division is than through a halo that 'takes it to the track'. I mean seriously build something that has the balance to 'wow' people (Think Lotus, except cheaper and maybe not quite as good -- you get what you pay for) instead of a poseur 'performance' car like say the Shelby GT500. (Don't get me wrong, I'd kill to own a GT500, but lets face it, most of the cars will never see a track and as a result weren't DESIGNED for it)

Imagine what a base Corvette would be like if it were lightened a bit (smaller, forced induction motor and less luxury) with about the same power via a DOHC motor. That is my vision for the Solstice. The Corvette should NEVER see anything smaller than a V8 and performance in Corvette land should always top out at the Z06 or ZR1 level since they sell tons of 'cruiser' base models. (What is it now? 60+% of Corvettes come with the auto transmission?) That way, it's niche is protected and the Solstice can take up the slack and Pontiac can benefit. Saturn can take up the current sales base, since the Sky *appears* to be more popular anyway.

This idea originated when I read somewhere that Kappa and Y-Body were supposed to become ONE platform the next time around. The news came from some pretty prominent sources, but I never received confirmation about if it was going to happen for sure. That, in itself could explain the death of Kappa II and is pretty relevant given that Kappa is basically a downsized Y-Body.

I think the Sixteen is rather unnecessary. It'll just run into the same problems as the Park Ave in China (people who really want one can't afford it, and those who do have the money won't buy it and go to the S-Class). Unless you go WAY beyond and compete in the Maybach/Bentley/RR sector and becoming the American counterpart of those, since they're all German.
I agree...

Now it is unnecessary. My goal with Cadillac is to raise prices. IMO, a lot of the reason GM cannot grow it's middle divisions is because Cadillac is positioned too down market to allow these divisions to grow. GM can't promote Cadillac as your global luxury car leader if it's selling Buicks and GMCs and Chevrolets for as much or more money. (During the height of the SUV boom, Chevrolet was actually GM's top selling 'luxury' division because of all the loaded GMT800s they were selling)

And by Aura do you mean Insignia? I know you hate GME, but they do exist and will factor in as a part of GM. Hence you're also missing Agila, Tigra, Zafira. But shouldn't be a problem since those all fall under Gamma and Delta and those will have tons of volume to justify existence.

Yes.. (Insignia) Is the name change official?

I don't hate GME, just like I don't hate Democrats (or Republicans) All I'm saying is that there must be a balance of power. GME needs to answer to people and justify it's decisions just like GMNA does.

As for the Gamma and Delta models. The more variety the better! I think a lot of the anti-GM people will be moving towards efficiency in the future (or basically, small cars) Saturn would be perfect for a nice round line up of small cars that appeal to these people.

And by Aura do you mean Insignia?

Actually calling it "Aura" might not be off the mark since Mr. Lutz has stated that the next gen Aura will be "its own car" with different exterior/interior styling than the Euro Opel Insignia. I still believe that GM realizes that the Insignia will not be a successful product for Saturn. The Insignia is too upscale and has "4-door coupe" styling proportions that limits passenger/cargo capacity; it's basically a car for people who value exclusiveness and style over obtaining maximum space for minimal money. Most of Saturn's clientele are concerned with the latter. I could see the Insignia coming over here as a Buick to slot below the upcoming LWB Eps II based LaCrosse though.

That's not really satisfying. With some people calling for GM to ditch everything by Chevy and Caddy and all of the nonsensical overlapping going on; your solution is to not only keep what we already have but add even more models to each division?

If you're trying to make each brand more "focused" how does giving them more models help further that goal? I certainly agree with moving Caddy up, but I'm still not convinced that it will make enough room for Buick, Pontiac and Saturn if they are to each have full lineups as you have proposed.

That's not really satisfying. With some people calling for GM to ditch everything by Chevy and Caddy and all of the nonsensical overlapping going on; your solution is to not only keep what we already have but add even more models to each division?

If you're trying to make each brand more "focused" how does giving them more models help further that goal? I certainly agree with moving Caddy up, but I'm still not convinced that it will make enough room for Buick, Pontiac and Saturn if they are to each have full lineups as you have proposed.

Focus doesn't always mean smaller.

Focus means setting a goal for the division and making BETTER products.

And keep in mind, just because the cars are marketed as different names doesn't mean they're really all that different. The Buick Lacrosse, Riviera and Invicta for example would all be basically the same car with a different bodystyle and slightly different styling. The idea behind the different names is to build exclusitivity and aid in marketing and targeting certain markets.

What's going to make a bigger impression on the buyer? Pontiac G6, G6 coupe and G6 convertible -or- Buick Lacrosse, Buick Invicta and Buick Riviera?

...I certainly agree with moving Caddy up, but I'm still not convinced that it will make enough room for Buick, Pontiac and Saturn if they are to each have full lineups as you have proposed.

^ that's a good part of why they should take BPGmc+Saturn+Hummer to make one full premium/mid-level lineup, Imho

with each constituent 'sub-brand' then able to be properly focused*

and still have a unified sales channel with a full range of offerings

if in the not-near future there's sufficient volume, the 'parts' could be fleshed out to be stand-alone Brands again...

...perhaps more likely or first, split into 2 channels

* plus is solves the one-dimensional definitions (frequently one-word) usually used to describe the Brands.

Imho that can't be done with successful brands.

What I'm saying in regards to the brands is that the solution should be simple and easily communicated. It should also involve honing them down to their fundamentals before trying any kind of expansion.

These are the point I do agree on:

1) Move Caddy on up.

2) Give Pontiac back it's soul.

3) Allow Buick to become more prominent.

The rest I'm not sure about. Hummer needs to go. I don't care for Saturn at all. They've abandonned their original purpose and I don't think we need an Opel derivative. (Actually, the only reason Opel and Chevy don't overlap completely in Europe is because the Chevy name is restricted to smaller Daewoos.) Saab is neat, but it still conflicts with other brands. Also, SAAB - the airplane company half that is still Swedish - has expressed interest in buying Saab the auto brand. They be independent again and could still sell cars without competeing inside of GM. I'd really like to either kill off the Chevy truck line or GMC, but I know many people would have a fit outright if either were to go. They should be separated by more than trim levels, but I don't exactly know how.

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings