Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

How I would structure GM

FUTURE_OF_GM

SECTION 5: PERFORMANCE & SPECIALTY MODELS:

Gone are the days of slapping a performance logo on a product simply because you made improvements to the product that bring it UP TO PAR with the class (Equinox Sport, G6 GXP, Lucerne Super, etc.)

Each division, except Chevrolet, will have a more focused line up of ‘specialty models’ This will elevate the desire to own the products and give the divisions more individual identity to market. As for Chevrolet, well, they are the volume division so they’ll get more specialty vehicles than any other division to simply cover the market and better establish their branding (Just in case the divisional structure implodes some day)

Chevrolet: Specialty Designations: SS & Z. In the Chevrolet car world, SS will mean style and performance, much as it does now and the Z prefix will mean high performance. The Z suffix will be phased out in favor if a simpler LS/LT line up. (Same cars, just badged as LT now) Example: The Camaro will come in SS form and then an even hotter (and lower production) Z28. SS will be the top performance option on sedans as the Z moniker can only be given to coupes.

SS Cars:

1) Cruze

2) HHR

3) Malibu

4) Camaro

5) Impala

Z Cars:

1) Cruze (Coupe)

2) Camaro

3) Corvette (You can’t “SS” a Corvette)

Cars with NO performance trim:

1) Beat & Groove

2) Orlando

3) Volt

Chevy Trucks: Specialty Designations: SS & Z. In the Chevrolet truck world, SS will mean top-notch performance while the Z prefix/suffix will mean off road capability or luxury amenities. For example; the Silverado Z71 won’t carry the same character as the Suburban LTZ

SS Trucks:

1) El Camino

2) Equinox (The spiritual successor to the Trailblazer SS)

3) Silverado

Z Trucks:

1) Colorado

2) Silverado

3) Suburban (LTZ -- Consider it the spiritual replacement for the Yukon XL Denali and Escalade ESV)

Trucks with NO performance trim:

1) Traverse

2) Silverado HD

Pontiac: Specialty Designation: GXP. Pontiacs, especially the entry level Pontiacs in the market will already be tuned to higher performance specifications than anything else GM offers. Remember: under promise and over deliver. As a result, the G4, G5 and Vibe will offer NO performance trim. If people are looking to buy from this division and channel for the first time, we want to put our best effort forward automatically. That leaves us with this line up:

1) G6 (GXP)

2) GTO (Just like you can’t “SS” a Corvette, you can’t “GXP” a GTO)

3) Solstice (GXP – The Solstice will already be very performance biased, the GXP should propel it firmly PAST the base model Corvette at the track, with even more potential)

GMC: Specialty Designations: Alpha & Denali. GMC will appeal to all truck buyers now. They can buy a standard model or they can tailor their choice to luxury via the Denali trim, or they can go off-roading with the help of the Alpha trim. Keep in mind, the Alpha trim is explicitly designed to be good off-road. It isn’t a poseur package like Z71 or SR5. Alpha is supposed to bring in Hummer and Jeep buyers. (Yes, I know that most Hummer owners never went off road, blah, blah blah, but you get the picture)

Alpha models:

1) Terrain (Spiritual successor to the HX)

2) Canyon (Spiritual successor to the H3T)

3) Sierra (Z71 replacement, except actually different. The least extreme Alpha)

4) Yukon (The spiritual successor to the H2 & H3)

Denali models:

1) Canyon

2) Sierra

3) Yukon

Models with no performance designation:

1) Acadia

2) Sierra HD

3) Savanna

Buick: Specialty Designation: Super. The Buick Supers will be much like they are now, except better. The performance is more luxury biased than barn burning and the badge is more about the complete package than what is under the hood. Here’s the breakdown:

1) Delta (None – Just needs to be a well executed, almost loaded, luxury small car/entry point to the brand)

2) Theta (None – Yet again, a small, well executed entry point to the brand)

3) Lucerne (None – With interest in large cars apparently falling, Chevrolet can occupy the ‘performance’ niche with it’s more capable Impala. )

4) Lacrosse (Super)

5) Invicta (Super)

6) Riviera (Super)

7) Enclave (Super)

Cadillac: Specialty Designations: V-series & Platinum trim. Cadillac did everything right with the CTS-V, so it needs to stay the course with the new models. The Cien and Sixteen are supposed to represent the very top of their classes, so the policy there is that, for now, this is the best we have to offer. Once the brand is established, if needed, the V moniker can expand. Here’s the breakdown:

1) BTS (V)

2) CTS (V)

3) DTS (V)

4) SRX (Hybrid – This is a great place to start Cadillac’s hybrid/E-Flex revolution. Not to mention, Theta won’t take the V treatment too well IMO)

5) Escalade (Platinum – In this market, there is no need for a full blown V series Escalade, so the Platinum trim remains the top option. But the good platform is there so that a V series edition can be executed in the future if need be.)

Saab: Specialty Designation: Aero. The main thing dictating Saabs level of performance is Cadillac. Since they share the same channel and Cadillac is a better platform for performance vehicles, the Aero trim will be restricted to small cars only (The 9-1 and 9-3) The 9-5 and 9-4X need to showcase technology as their selling point.

Saturn: Specialty Designations: Redline & Greenline. Saturn is GM’s fashion division, so the emphasis is on efficiency and style more than performance.

Greenline vehicles:

1) Corsa

2) Astra

3) Aura

4) Vue

5) Van

6) Ridgeline competitor

Redline vehicles:

1) Aura

2) Sky

3) Vue

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I would recommend adding an Astra Redline to the Saturn Lineup as well. One of the Astra's sales failure is the availability of only one motor, the 1.8 European Ecotec. The Astra's of Europe/Australia like the OPC have the turbo 2.0 Ecotecs over close to 260 HP; that needs to be here.

this falls under the 'they have covered every possible version of this on GMI' thread........
What is this GMI you speak of?!?! :smilewide:

I would recommend adding an Astra Redline to the Saturn Lineup as well. One of the Astra's sales failure is the availability of only one motor, the 1.8 European Ecotec. The Astra's of Europe/Australia like the OPC have the turbo 2.0 Ecotecs over close to 260 HP; that needs to be here.

You're probably going to disagree with this, but I would give that motor to Pontiac for the G5.

What would power a Malibu SS?

I can guess on most of them, but the Epsilons are tricky.

Also, how about bringing back Ultra for Buick?

I loved the Ultra trim, but i think Super conveys more of an 'american class' sort of thing. That's just my opinion though and I guess the fact that I'm a classic Buick fan had a lot to do with it.

I even toyed with the idea of bringing back the WILDCAT trim in some form or another. :D

Oh, and as far as what powers what...

Well, I haven't thought that far ahead but I guess it could go one of two ways.

1) If CAFE really is that big of a concern, then we could stick a beefed up Turbo 4 in the Malibu SS. 2) But the better option IMO would be to stick a hi-po V6 in the car. And, since the Camaro is technically supposed to be the Malibu's coupe counterpart, if the Camaro SS carries a performance V6, then idealistically, the Malibu SS would carry the same high performance V6.

The concern with that is; how many Camaro loyalists are willing to accept that the only V8 Camaro they will be able to purchase will be the Z28 trim?

What is this GMI you speak of?!?! :smilewide:

You're probably going to disagree with this, but I would give that motor to Pontiac for the G5.

Not sure how related that 2.0 Turbo is to the one in the Sky/Solstice or if it is a European spec motor like the 1.8. If it is European, how hard would it be to put it in a Delta G5 that has a NA Ecotec motor?

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings