The SAE power ratings.

loki

when will the "other guys" start using this standard for engine ratings, and do you think that it would have any effect on what buyers would look for....an SAE rated car vs. and non SAE rated car? one more condition on that, since GM is the only one doing it, (right now, right?) how will it effect things after a few more brands use this standard. one way this could be usefull is if you the powercurves on the performance models and over lay them with the competitions power curves. this make sense? sorry if it doesn't.

They've already started to use them on current engine ratings. Take a look at the Asian section of our site for comparisons. They've been the first to adapt the policy on new models with their glairing differences over previous "same" models.

when will the "other guys" start using this standard for engine ratings, and do you think that it would have any effect on what buyers would look for....an SAE rated car vs. and non SAE rated car?    one more condition on that, since GM is the only one doing it, (right now, right?) how will it effect things after a few more brands use this standard.

one way this could be usefull is if you the powercurves on the performance models and over lay them with the competitions power curves.

this make sense?  sorry if it doesn't.

[post="38035"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

All manufacturers are required to use the new SAE ratings for new or redesigned engines. I believe Honda and Toyota are the only manufacturers that use the new ratings for all their engines, new or old.

Nissan has to be now, too. On that new Maxima ad where the guy is running from something and touches a silver Max, there is fine print saying to call some number for HP information (the ad still claimed 265 HP).

[post="38077"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Interesting you should mention that. I just went to the Nissan website and while the Maxima is still advertised to have 265 HP, they included this footnote:

"SAE Net. Horsepower will test lower under revised SAE testing procedures. Engine performance will not change."

So what is the new number, Nissan?

Nissan has to be now, too. On that new Maxima ad where the guy is running from something and touches a silver Max, there is fine print saying to call some number for HP information (the ad still claimed 265 HP).

[post="38077"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nissan may be using the new SAE testing standards on some of its models, but Honda and Toyota are the only manufacturers so far to use the new testing on all of their engines, new and old. At least I'm pretty sure they're the only ones, there may be others.

when will the "other guys" start using this standard for engine ratings

It looks like most manufacturers will be using the new testing standard on their new engines as they come out, but are skipping retesting their old ones (I believe the dead-line isn't for another couple years). Whether this is do to only financial reasons or to avoid the risk of some of their old engines testing much lower then with previous testing standards (and subsequently being bashed by the media for "over-rating"), I don't know. I have a feeling it's both though.