Fifty-Nine

Amazing how many cool cars are on eBay at one time. Here's some "affordable" 1959 beauties.... at least compared to a $850,000 1969 COPO Camaro.

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plymouth-19...586057560QQrdZ1

Posted Image

$3500 Reserve Met!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-Cat...585957521QQrdZ1

Posted Image

I usualy prefer bubbletops on '59 Caddys not Vista Roofs (flat tops) but this is boss.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-De...585659356QQrdZ1

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-LeSab...585324468QQrdZ1

Edited by Sixty8panther

My version of heaven would be to have the following in a ten car garage: 1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille 1959 Cadillac ragtop 1959 Buick (any hardtop, even a vista cruiser) 1959 Pontiac (any hardtop) 1960 Chevy flattop 1960 Dodge (hardtop: 4dr or wagon...) 1958 Plymouth Fury (clone, whatever) 1969 Camaro hardtop (copo clone) 1969 Cadillac Sedan Deville 1970 Pontiac Trans Am Some of these change all the tiome but certain ones are long term goals. Either way that's an Automotive Collection I can live with.

That blue '59 LeSabre looks awfully familiar. I looked at the same year/ model/color back around 2000 in the same town. It seemed in real decent shape but was very 'dusty' inside in certain areas, like on the top of the door hinges & on top of the sun visors. I deduced correctly that the car had been under water when Tropical Storm Floyd ripped thru the area; the property it lived at then backed a large stream that is very subseptible to wide-ranging flooding. The background buildings are different, but IIRC the son took the car from where the father/owner lived. This has to be the same car- price was $1500 then but I would not bite and the submersion was only grudgingly admitted to. For a parts car (it's too nice to part out), it's well worth even $1500, but as a driver- I wouldn't be interested. No bondo in it, tho.

Wow... holy crap. Based on those pics. I'd give $3000 plus my left nut to own that beast. But then I'm just freekin crazy. :P

The '60 is pretty cool out back but up front I prefer the traditional look of the twin port grille. Either way make mine a hardtop.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As a long-time vintage Pontiac man, I like both '59s & '60s, but if you are a Pontiac insider... the '60 comes off as 'less Pontiac-ish' if that makes any sense, and it's not just the missing split grille, nor is it limited to the exterior. The needle jumped out of the groove for '60, but dropped back in place for '61 and after.

It was kind of the same for Chevrolet around that time. The '58 started with the iconic Chevy taillight theme, the '59 went with cat-eyes, then the '60 jumped back into line. I'd say the '59 Pontiac started the modern era of Pontiac design, the '60 backed off, then the '61 took it back up... and they still have a variation on the same theme in 2006... nothing to be ashamed of, imo. I just wish Chevy still believed in four or six element tailights on more than just Cobalt coupe and Corvette.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmm... I can see your point Ocnblu. I rememerbwhen the GM rep. came to Chevy of Lowell and I mentioned how the "Biscayne tail lights" bothered me on the 2000-up Impala and he said "But it DOES have three per side... the back up is just mounted INSIDE the inner reflector"

to which I said then according to that rule a classic 1965 (just to pick a random year) actaully has FOUR tail lights per side. Take a close look...

Posted Image