Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Video: The beautiful QE2 will never see America, England or Europe again

I will miss the QE2. So will millions of others. I sailed on her out of NY going transatlantic once. It's something you will never, ever forget....the tugs pulling her out of the Hudson River pier, passing the WTC and the Statue of Liberty, and clearing the Verrazzano bridge.

Last month, she left NY for her last crossing to the UK. She then left Southhampton (England) on Nov. 11 to make her last trip to Dubai where she will become an entertainment venue/hotel. On the 13th, she was in Lisbon...the 14th Gibraltar...the 16th Rome (port of Civitavecchia)...the 17th Naples...and the 18th Valletta (Malta). She will never moor in Europe again, as she heads for Egypt, the Suez Canal, and lastly, Dubai.

As a kid, I got to see her come into the port of Los Angeles for the first time they took her on a World Cruise. She came in with the fireboats spraying, as is typical for a maiden arrival and this, too, was unforgettable.

You can see the photos and the final departure here:

QE2 photo montage and last departure from UK

Edited by trinacriabob

That is sad.. I've been on the Queen Mary, never saw the QE2. I'm thinking about taking a cruise next year for a vacation on Cunard's Queen Victoria, from New York to South Hampton. 8 days at sea.

Queen Victoria

That is sad.. I've been on the Queen Mary, never saw the QE2. I'm thinking about taking a cruise next year for a vacation on Cunard's Queen Victoria, from New York to South Hampton. 8 days at sea.

Moltie, the New York to Southhampton transatlantic "shuttle" is now handled by QM2. The newer QV will be more of a specialty ship, geared more for cruises, but has some transatlantic voyages in her calendar. However, if you decide to go transantlantic, you most likely will get to go on QM2, which is enormous.

Moltie, the New York to Southhampton transatlantic "shuttle" is now handled by QM2. The newer QV will be more of a specialty ship, geared more for cruises, but has some transatlantic voyages in her calendar. However, if you decide to go transantlantic, you most likely will get to go on QM2, which is enormous.

Interesting..the package I was looking at said specifically the QV. QM2 could be interesting also... I've always wanted to do a transatlantic voyage, instead of the usual 10 1/2 hr BA flight to London. Turns out going by ship is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. I'd also like to do an Alaska cruise, and I've also thought about doing a Mediterranean cruise. Want to get back to Europe next year, been over 4 years now since I was last there. I need a good 2-3 week vacation, maybe next spring after I finish my current contract.

I've also thought about doing a National Park road trip tour sometime next year... the Utah parks, Yellowstone, Glacier, Black Hills/Mt Rushmore, etc. I've lived in the West for over 10 years, but have only seen national parks in Colorado and AZ.

Edited by moltar

And we should care why? I look forward to the day the British people wake up and kick the Royal Family out on their arses. I would love to see them have to get real jobs, however Prince Charles may only be qualified to ask, do you want fries with that? :smilewide:

You mean "do you want CHIPS with that?"

C'mon, give it a rest, what would do without these smug inbreds to make fun of? They're an eccentric lot. Not everybody can be German...I mean Italian....:smilewide:

They do build a beautiful ship, though. Here's a pic I got of the QE2 from the 25th floor of the Radisson Montevideo Uruguay (less than $100, with buffet breakfast) while on vacation in South America during Thanksgiving Week 2005. I didn't even know it was there, went up to the 25th floor for the breakfast buffet and saw it from the windows. I bolted out of there like a "bat out of hell" to get my new digital camera in my room. Probably have 30 pictures of the whole "entrance sequence." Here's one:

QE2-Montevideo-Nov2005.jpg

Edited by trinacriabob

The QE2 arrived in Dubai today. This is very sad, as it is the end of an almost 40-year career "the world's most beloved liner." When it was launched, the ship's profile was remarkably "yacht-like" for its day.

You can see the webcam (from the bridge) link on this other website:

QE2 webcam from bridge on QE2.org.uk

You can also see pictures of the ship in various harbors, including passing the World Trade Center (see exterior photos).

Edited by trinacriabob